The dragons of Skyrim are idiots.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Honestly, for a buggy unbalanced game like this where killing chickens can get you in prison or a single mutt can clear an entire giant camp and all the mammoths, dealing with the dragons in this game has to take the cake in bad designs. Now I'm not here to say I hate Skyrim, I've been loving this game and obsessed over it (when I should have more focus on my college finals) as any of you here, but when it comes to probably the most important themes of this game, fighting dragons, I feel pretty let down with what we have here.

Now tell me if this hasn't been your experience. A dragon appears, you quick select all the necessary items for the fight, but then the dragon lifts off and flies around in circles causing havoc and attracting every NPC in a five mile radius. You begin the chase after the dragon to do your dragon slaying Dragonborne thing but every time you get close it lifts off again paying hardly any attention towards you even when you've managed to do enough substantial damage to hold its aggro.

Now this isn't even the retardED part of these encounters, what really pisses me off that even on Master difficulty when you're still able to manipulate the dragon's line of fire (which just consist of getting behind a wall and taking cover) to beat one, you notice you don't even need to lay a hand on the damn animal since half the level has now been aggroed by the dragon and are just as convicted to killing it as you are. Really you don't need to do a damn thing, just let the stupid animal attract all the attention and then get zerged to death as you're eventually hailed for its defeat.

One of the most important encounters of the game, and you can beat it during a bathroom brake. And as the title to my topic insist, the dragons in Skyrim are just idiots. Now if a dragon could handle all the chaos its so easily capable of stirring, I wouldn't have as much of a problem with it. But the dragons in this game aren't, a single mammoth or giant could hand a dragon its ass and have time to one shot you while you run up to its corpse and try to loot it. Three guards could take on a dragon alone, with some weaker dragons hiding in a hole and letting your horse do all the work can also end up paying off, and let's not mention how broken the game gets when you have Barbas the immortal mutt around.../facepalm

Well, I don't know, I think I'm about done bitching about this for now. What do you guys think?

Oh and one final comment, fuck the dragons, this game should be about slaying Necro/Pyromancer and their godly unbalanced one shot kill from a mile away dishing asses.

Inithra

Jun 15, 2011
Anybody who thinks Dragons are easy needs to turn the difficulty up to master and try taking an Ancient Dragon on. S'all I have to say.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
My housemate is incredibly into Skyrim at the minute...he spent 4 hours hunting one glitchy dragon that just kept flying off whenever he got near it. Then when it did attack it started flying at him backwards, so it looked like the fire was a rocket or something.

Yep, they're idiots.

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
I... I never had that happen unless a dragon attacks an open town. Where it would really make sense.

I've had elder dragons attack the college of winterhold 4 times in a row. All different dragons. 4 dead dragon skeletons on the floor.

Anyways I managed to solve the annoying as hell blood dragons or any other dragon that doesn't want to go on the ground against me... Stamina damage.

Also... I was about to say something stupid like level up your enchanting and alchemy to 100 to make yourself pretty much immune to magic damage, oh and 100 smithing too to get the best armour to become godlike even on master difficulty. Alchemy is my favourite, I saw someone make a 94% fire resist potion (and can probably do the same for frost and shock too).

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
That never happened to me unless a dragon tracked me to the middle of a city (fun fact: Riften guards are corrupt bastards, but fantastic shots) or I stumbled onto one in the wild attacking a settlement who didn't recognize me as a threat until too late.

Most of the time in my playing, if a dragon attracts outside attention, it's either something they can easily handle (and I have to rush to save lives), or they lead all the hostile NPCs and animals right to me.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
NeutralDrow said:
That never happened to me unless a dragon tracked me to the middle of a city (fun fact: Riften guards are corrupt bastards, but fantastic shots) or I stumbled onto one in the wild attacking a settlement who didn't recognize me as a threat until too late.

Most of the time in my playing, if a dragon attracts outside attention, it's either something they can easily handle (and I have to rush to save lives), or they lead all the hostile NPCs and animals right to me.
Ummm?? On which platform are you playing, just curious since no matter how many games I've played the way I explained it is pretty much all I experience...=/

boandpop

Dec 2, 2008
There have been a few dragons that insist on appearing, trying to eat my horse, then flying off. I think they're confused because I'm usually on the horse, then dismount. They have some screwy AI that locks onto an actor, I guess. Just the wrong one...

I found one dragon skeleton wrapped around the forge as it died in Riverside. Very charming (not). Especially the way that the characters just walk through the bones like they aren't there. (Because they technically aren't). I find that the lingering bones can look epic, but are just part of a ebbing shock factor that eventually became stupid and benign.

Also, children who look like they live in the dragon's ribcage.

I don't like Riverside any more.

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
I mostly agree. Fighting dragons sounded fun at first, but ended up being incredibly disappointing. They're not big, they're not powerful and they're not smart. I often ignore them and continue on my way (playing on normal for now. Will probably up the difficulty later).

One time, I saw a dragon fight a giant. The dragon, while capable of flight, never took off and merely attacked the giant full on. Watching the giant beat the shit out of the dragon was hilarious, seeing as how the entire game keeps hyping them up.

So basically, most of Skyrim's dragons suck. They're no longer one of the reason I keep playing the game.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Yeah, the dragons get easy very fast. Flemeth the Shapeshifter these are not.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Inithra said:
Anybody who thinks Dragons are easy needs to turn the difficulty up to master and try taking an Ancient Dragon on. S'all I have to say.
I killed one on Master once. At 300 HP and magic resist capped (85%) he could kill me with a breath attack in just 4 seconds. Lol.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
My problem with the dragons is that, if you are melee, you have to lead them to a large clearing where they can land and get maimed. If you don't, they'll just follow you around and jerk you off forever, and you can't even fast travel away. Many times, in a world as rocky as Skyrim's, finding a clearing is not so easy. So basically if you get ambushed by a dragon on a mountain, it means that you are going off your course for a long-ass time, and that's annoying, especially once you have 200 dragon bones and scales in your desk drawer like me and you just want the bloody thing to go away and leave you alone.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
The only time I've had hard time killing a dragon was when I was chased half way across skyrim by an ancient dragon. If only all the dragons were as strong as the ancient ones.

It's pretty bad though when a random necromancer apprentice is a greater threat to me than the average drgon

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
I once killed a dragon by hiding in a fishing shack and shooting it full of arrows while it ignored me and destroyed the local mudcrab and wolf populations

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
On three separate occasions I've had a dragon attract the attention of a giant. It seems in a battle of dragon vs. giant the giant always wins.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
I've had Giants tank dragons plenty of times.

The very first dragon you fight at the watchtower had flown out and blown fire on a giant. Giant came and crushed the dragons head with a few good swings and then began killing the Whiterun gaurds, so I had to put him down.

Near the Bonestrewn crest there was an Elder Dragon who attacked the mammoths and giants at the camp next to it. Did not end well for the Elder. You'd think picking up a giant, flying him up into the sky and dropping him to the ground would do more damage to something that heavy. At least break his legs. It has to way over a ton, and it dropped from over like four stories.

Then of course there was the Frost Dragon I ran into in the wild who for some reason found the local rabbits and Deer a more threatening foe than the one man who can PERMANANTLY KILL HIM.

Swyftstar

May 19, 2011
Hostile creatures attack non-hostile. I like that everything doesn't stop what they were doing when I pop up and make a beeline towards me so it's a fault I'm willing to put up with. Besides, it's always fun when you hit the giant by accident and then a sabercat decides to drop by and see what all the fuss is about and bear wants to join the party and those oh so curious wolves just cant be left out. I'm not exaggerating, that actually happened to me.

Sentox6

Jun 30, 2008
What I hate is when I hit a dragon with a nicely triangulated Dragonrend and he proceeds to land... on a mountain perch that would take me 20 minutes to climb up to.

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
I've had 3 particularly challenging dragon battles, and I've lost my life to a dragon at least twice... but once I got marked for death, they're all easy... I just ignore them now.

However, watching an ancient dragon land in front of me, breath frost all over me then proceed to almost swallow me whole, only to spit my corpse out about 10 feet away... was pretty cool...

The other memorable fight was me vs elder dragon and dragon priest, and then a frost troll joined the fray.

Dragons may be fairly easy in the game, but they're still FUN! Actually, I don't know what my game's dragons have against Windhelm guards... But I must have seen the pick up 3-4 of them off that long bridge and drop them into the river.... Dragons are dicks.

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
Maybe the guy who was supposed to balance the difficulty took an arrow in the knee. Once you get past a certain level, the game just loses all challenge.