The Dumbification of Gaming

rda_Highlander

Nov 19, 2010
Atmos Duality said:
rda_Highlander said:
Sincerely to the fiery enemies of "Dumbification".
Play rogue-like. Play Dwarf Fortress. Shut the fuck up.
Thank you.
Shuffling everyone into one niche' genre isn't going to add depth to the other genres.
Well, this certainly applies to all RPGamers and Strategy fans. Super Meatboy-style scrollers should shut up all old-school fans out there and those craving for first-person action - well, Serious Sam HD came out already, and I really don't think that this particular genre was simplified a lot. Regenerating health is stupid, sure, but it's another talk. Also, Crysis 2 is anything but simple.
I guess I just want to say that even if there are many simple games around, and even if your particular favorite franchise turned simple, it doesn't mean that industry as a whole suffering from it.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
rda_Highlander said:
Well, this certainly applies to all RPGamers and Strategy fans.
No. No it doesn't apply to them.
Nevermind that the term "RPG" is so nebulous that to even include it would encompass a HUGE range of games.
I play rogue-likes and I love them, but I would never compare Nethack to something like, say, Persona 3. I play both of those for very different reasons.

Super Meatboy-style scrollers should shut up all old-school fans out there and those craving for first-person action - well, Serious Sam HD came out already, and I really don't think that this particular genre was simplified a lot. Regenerating health is stupid, sure, but it's another talk. Also, Crysis 2 is anything but simple.
Shooters have over-saturated the market to the point where I don't even think niche' appeal could save them. Just my opinion.
Though I do agree that Super Meat Boy was a step in the right direction, at least from a purely gameplay/design standpoint.

I guess I just want to say that even if there are many simple games around, and even if your particular favorite franchise turned simple, it doesn't mean that industry as a whole suffering from it.
Oh but it is. At least the AAA industry is. The problem stated here is that gamers would like quality production in their titles, but alas, in order to ensure that such a costly production doesn't flop in sales (or rather, fail to meet the exceedingly high revenue/returns the investors are expecting) the developers intentionally dumb their titles down to ensure NOBODY ever feels anything but triumphant, and if they do fail, their loss is minimized.

They've become so addicted to this formula that ANY innovation is being stifled at the source. These AAA game developers don't want to risk the potential loss in desirability, so they follow what works to a T, innovating only if marketing tells them to.

Then there's the painfully stupid line of thought: "older design elements = outdated and useless".
Nostalgia aside, there is much to be learned from older game models. There's a reason why Mario platformers are still selling strongly after 25 years. There's a reason why there are so many more Lets Plays of Megaman and Metroid games than Halo.

(People love to play the Nostalgia Card as a magical copout argument here, but these same people never ask "why did these games work when other games like them failed?"
Why? Because they're afraid of being wrong. And you can never be wrong on the internet.)

Making something accessible does NOT equate to adding quality to a product.

Would Left 4 Dead be even half as difficult or fun if you tacked on regenerating health?
No, it wouldn't, yet that trend became popular because, hey, Halo did it and Halo sold really really well.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
people people, just play what you want and enjoy it
lol and coversely, sure games like Bioshock are lovely crafted experiences, but games like Halo have co-op and add replayability
gonna be pros and cons to both sides, and not everyone's sitting in front of their computer alone, or on the couch with a buddy, or...etc

Grond Strong

Mar 16, 2011
Seems like it's not only the trend with videogames but with all of society now. People want faster, easier, more convenient stuff within the minute and instant gratification. When something is hard, no problem, just quit and complain a little before grabbing something easier. It shows in all of our technology. We see it displayed across billboards and ads. Better! Simple! Easy! Fast! Now, now, now! Videogames aren't being revolutionarily dumb, they're just following suit.

As much as I agree with you, I believe there is a time and a place for everything. A lot of the time, I don't have the time to tackle a hard level with 4 or 5 spare hours because they just aren't there. So to play an easier, mindless game with large rewards for a fraction of the effort before I have to shoot off to work or school can be a great quick escape. I don't think that every game should be this way though. Games die when creativity and imagination cease.

Let's not forget that people do LIKE simple videogames for reasons above and just pure laziness, and they'll pay big bucks for one. As much as we'd like to think that our favorite game developers are making games just for us fanboys, they aren't. These games are blockbusters made to sell big and make you want more so they are made easy on purpose. As far as developers are concerned, it's all about the money. And easy sells.