The Elusive Broken Bench

Mar 1, 2009
I am forming a band in Toronto called the Elusive Broken Bench,and I was wondering if my fellow Escapians had any advice for me. I've never been in a band before (except for rock band camp [kinda lame, but mad fun]), I play rhythm guitar, and we have a drummer, a bass player, a lead guitar, and a singer.

Any tips on how to get started?

Infinatex

BLAM!Headshot?!
May 19, 2009
Step 1: Write a song a bunch of songs.
Step 2: Learn and play and record those songs.
Step 3: Trash those songs and write new ones.

Repeat this process for a while until you have refined your style and technique. It's amazing when you look back on the first recordings (which you thought were hot shit) and realise how terrible they were. I have been writing, recording and making music for about 7 years and I would say I am only just making good stuff now.

And I'm still not 100% happy with it.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Write music that you and your bandmates personally enjoy and stick to that style. Don't let anyone with a bag of money change your values.

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
Get rid of the singer.
Get rid of the second guitar player.
Get a pianist.

Then you're all set.

the wako kid

Mar 31, 2010
I reccomend playing somewhere small first to see how people react to you.my bands first gig was a coffee shop,and we played for free.

Mar 1, 2009
Scobie said:
"Broken bench" in Italian is "banca rotta", the source of the modern word "bankrupt". So you have called yourself "Elusive Bankrupt". I don't know if you already know this, and it isn't even vaguely relevant. I just think it's interesting.
I was not aware of that.

The actual story behind the name is that my band was practicing then went out into a park and discovered a broken bench, which we chilled by. The next day it was gone. We decided for an album cover we would want the front all of us attack the bench with various weapons, then on the back we are making peace with the bench.