The End Is Nigh: Dante's Inferno Super Bowl Ad

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
Even thou i don't care about this game, i want it to do well so all this advertising isn't a waste of money.

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
I guess I'm the only one who's enjoyed EA's marketing for this game...

Anywho, I can understand why they're pulling out all the stops for this game. EA has had a difficult time trying to sell their their new IPs, which is a shame because most of them have been at least pretty good. But a $3 million dollar commercial? Just one commercial?

At least Mass Effect 2 is selling pretty well.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
It's not going to make enough to even pay for this ad, if justice exists. That game just looks stupid.

Pocotron

Mar 16, 2009
They've done a terrific ad campaign for this game...

...Which means its gonna suck.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Wait, the people running the Super Bowl pulled it because they didn't want to offend people? Isn't that the POINT for this game? Especially if it incenses them to anger?

I hate the PC culture we've adapted...

tmujir955

Oct 12, 2009
fozzy360 said:

Anywho, I can understand why they're pulling out all the stops for this game. EA has had a difficult time trying to sell their their new IPs, which is a shame because most of them have been at least pretty good. But a $3 million dollar commercial? Just one commercial?

EA's pockets are deep. 3 million to them is chump change.

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
Can somebody please tell me why everyone seems to want this to fail? Either it's people who don't understand the idea of an adaptation screaming like EA went around and set all the copies of Dante's Inferno in the world on fire. Or it's people who seem to think that God of War invented the hack 'n slash genre hooting out "GOD OF WAR COLNE !!!!11111". Seriously where's the desire for new ip's? I thought that this was something we would've prayed for last decade.

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
tmujir955 said:
fozzy360 said:

True.

And EA can't use "Go To Hell" as the tagline for the spot? So they can air a trailer for a game that's all about fighting supernatural foes in a dark, twisted environment with a lot of violence (or, at least enough to air on t.v.), and they can't use "Go To Hell?"

"You can't say go to hell! It'll offend parents and the children's ears will bleed!"

This makes my head hurt.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Geez I know they didn't do well with their new IP's, but this marketing strategy is just over doing it.

tmujir955

Oct 12, 2009
fozzy360 said:
tmujir955 said:
fozzy360 said:

True.

And EA can't use "Go To Hell" as the tagline for the spot? So they can air a trailer for a game that's all about fighting supernatural foes in a dark, twisted environment with a lot of violence (or, at least enough to air on t.v.), and they can't use "Go To Hell?"

"You can't say go to hell! It'll offend parents and the children's ears will bleed!"

This makes my head hurt.
No worries!

Idea Guy:"Hey boss! I thought of a new tagline!"
Boss: "What!"
Idea Guy: "Go. To. Heck."
Boss:... It's FERPECT!

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
tmujir955 said:
fozzy360 said:
tmujir955 said:
fozzy360 said:

True.

This makes my head hurt.
No worries!

Idea Guy:"Hey boss! I thought of a new tagline!"
Boss: "What!"
Idea Guy: "Go. To. Heck."
Boss:... It's FERPECT!
I like to think EA created their own think-tank to come up with a new tagline when this was shot down. I can just imagine 10 people in a room brainstorming and pacing around trying to come up with something. They did spend $3 million on this. They gotta make it work somehow.

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
Vigilantis said:
Sounds good to me but the game already had me with this trailer
These guys definitely want you to buy their game it seems, I sure hope it doesn't fail.
At first I was sceptical, but now I just desperately hope that this game is as good as it looks.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Man, I hope this game is good.

After all that strange advertising, taking the piss out of protesters, rickrolling Yahtzee, that fake prayer game thing... and now a Super Bowl Ad. It goes without saying, but those are NOT CHEAP.

Well, at least we know EA can hype a game, if not necessarily make a good one.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Okay that settles it. I am so getting this game! And even if the game bombs, I'd pay them just for the amount of epic advertising they've done. It was highly amusing to watch.

Jul 9, 2008
AkJay said:
Why are they advertising this thing so much?
Because it brings nothing new to the table other than back-alley rape of the source material, so they hope that enough advertisements will make people not notice that. And they are doing well with the advertisements, I have to give them that.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
KingPiccolOwned said:
Can somebody please tell me why everyone seems to want this to fail? Either it's people who don't understand the idea of an adaptation screaming like EA went around and set all the copies of Dante's Inferno in the world on fire. Or it's people who seem to think that God of War invented the hack 'n slash genre hooting out "GOD OF WAR COLNE !!!!11111". Seriously where's the desire for new ip's? I thought that this was something we would've prayed for last decade.
Most people are stuck on the fact that it's like god of war (except that the magic in it actually feels natural) or that it's not sticking to the book (which would never have made a good game since it's basically about Dante getting his hand held through hell). Some people are stuck on the fact that it's doing a very good job of advertising. There's also the fact that it's made by EA.

All I have to say on it is that it looks like they're trying as hard as they can for controversy here (see that cross on his chest? that's a tapestry of his sins that he SEWED ONTO HIS CHEST before the demo even really begins). But other than that it's actually sort of fun in the demo so I really don't see why people are so set on it to fail.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
Macgyvercas said:
Okay that settles it. I am so getting this game! And even if the game bombs, I'd pay them just for the amount of epic advertising they've done. It was highly amusing to watch.
Thank you. At least you can appreciate the ads for their controversial and excruciating entertainment value like I can.

I'm not sure why so many people want this game to tank. Because the people who call the shots at EA are pulling out all the stops to sell a game? Is there some law I don't know of that severely limits the amount of resources a company can use to present their game to the masses? Or do you think it's unfair because not every company has that can't of money to just throw away on ads, so those companies won't be getting as many sales.

I'm pretty sure everyone on here has a pretty good view of what kind of game this is. If you know you don't like it, you won't buy it and no amount of advertising will change that. Are you really telling me you would not buy a game because of a high amount of advertising? "Another Dante's Inferno ad? That's it, this game sucks." If you were so iffy about the game in the first place you might want to save yourself the trouble and spend those 60 bucks on something you're sure to enjoy. Like a new stick up your ass.

Did it ever occur to you that -like a fair number of people have already said- EA has taken quite a hit a while back? They need to up their game, and Madden two thousand-freakin'-30 isn't going to pick up the slack on its own. They need something new, popular and, like MW2 showed us, a little controversial. So the copykittens from EA have decided to rip off the oh so popular God of War, which could be a surefire way to get their numbers up without having to go all necro on all their future releases. But it's not going to work if the demographic who is most appealed by God of War type games sticks to God of War, so they advertise. A lot. Because they can.

So yeah, EA's made up of corporate attention whores with pockets infused with essence of Black Hole. I for one think they made the right choice since the game looks great and my twisted mind can't wait to play it.