The End Is Nigh: Dante's Inferno Super Bowl Ad

eels05

Jun 11, 2009
Could just be EA backing a product the believe is worth the hype?They do have the right to do that in a consumer society.

ninjajoeman

Mar 13, 2009
america the next australia?

na, but on another note what about a tit during a what now and where is it on youtube?

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
Well it is certainlly hyping people. I didnt know much about Dante`s Inferno n then i was reading all these insane PR stunts on the Escapist News room.....i mean seri9usly has a game ever had such an awesome marketing campaign. Id love to see Blizzard do something like this. I mean they dont rly need it. But they got the cash n knowing them it would kick-arse :p

Youtube FTW on 7th of FEB. I bet that commercial will raise more than 1 eyebrow :D

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
I'm not ashamed to admit that this will probably be the 1st game I will buy simply because of its advertising. I think EA should be applauded for a) strongly supporting a new IP and b) being imaginative in their advertising. The demo played well and I'll be needing a random hack and slash for when FFXIII's grinding gets too much.

DoW Lowen

Exarch
Jan 11, 2009
Can't wait, super bowl ads for games are normally EPIC.

E.g. Halo 3. Whether or not you liked the game, it had a killer advertising crew.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
That's what happens when you mess with football [http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Jake_Brahm].

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
devilmore said:
Somehow i don't think people who read La Divina Comedia and people who'd play that kinda game are really the in the category - even if they both watch the superbowl...
Think again, matey. Red the book and like Hack N Slash. So....
I wonder how 9 year olds that attend the match will react to the ad.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
AkJay said:
Why are they advertising this thing so much?
They want people to buy this and not God of War 3. They've already made some kind of "special" collectors edition for Dante's Inferno exclusively on the PS3, and no extra cost, just to make them buy their game instead.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
ProfessorLayton said:
Ok... this definitely settles it. I'm not getting this game. I thought it was an interesting idea when I first heard about it, but now the game just looks bad. It has nothing to do with Dante's Inferno and it looks like it's just trying to force controversy. It's like they saw Modern Warfare 2 and Mass Effect and all the free publicity Fox gave them so they're trying to get in on it. Also, there is no reason why they should need to spend this much on advertising this game unless it's just a bad game and advertisements are the only way you'll get anyone to buy it.
This gets on my nerves, we know it has nothing to do with the poem, its very loosely based on the poem ... very very loosely ...

Sorry to single you out Prof!, its just I keep seeing this on the internet about how EA are raping some sacred work.

Funny that, I had issues with a spartan taking on the fates (not even the gods messed with those girls) and winning but I still enjoyed the game.

So some pointers to everyone
1) we are all aware that this game is not the book
2) stop believing the hype around the book, the majority of people who say "its great" haven't read it.
3) don't be such hypocrits, when EA rape a hyped up book you should then go back and ***** about God of War for not sticking to the actual myth's its based on. "artistic licence"
4) Too Human (yeah that stuck to the origins of the story didn't it?) "artistic licence".

Blah de blah de blah, anyway, once again sorry to the Prof for what may be perceived as singling him out which was not my intention.

edited; because I suck!

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
ColdStorage said:
This gets on my nerves, we know it has nothing to do with the poem, its very loosely based on the poem ... very very loosely ...

Sorry to single you out Prof!, its just I keep seeing this on the internet about how EA are raping some sacred work.

Funny that, I had issues with a spartan taking on the fates (not even the gods messed with those girls) and winning but I still enjoyed the game.

So some pointers to everyone
1) we are all aware that this game is not the book
2) stop believing the hype around the book, the majority of people who say "its great" haven't read it.
3) don't be such hypocrits, when EA rape a hyped up book you should then go back and ***** about God of War for not sticking to the actual myth's its based on. "artistic licence"
4) Too Human (yeah that stuck to the origins of the story didn't it?) "artistic licence".

Blah de blah de blah, anyway, once again sorry to the Prof for what may be perceived as singling him out which was not my intention.

edited; because I suck!
I know what you're saying, but imagine if they made a game called, I don't know, Forest Gump. Then when you play it, it has Forest Gump running around with chains on his hands murdering everyone from his past... actually that sounds like an awesome idea... but that's beside the point. The point is that it was just a bad idea to begin with and they're trying to market the crap out of this game most likely because it will suck.

DigitalSushi

Dec 24, 2008
ProfessorLayton said:
I know what you're saying, but imagine if they made a game called, I don't know, Forest Gump. Then when you play it, it has Forest Gump running around with chains on his hands murdering everyone from his past... actually that sounds like an awesome idea... but that's beside the point. The point is that it was just a bad idea to begin with and they're trying to market the crap out of this game most likely because it will suck.
damn it, I now have to think for myself on the whim to reply to you as opposed to the idea I've commented on which i've had for years (the one about raping works of art), damn you professorLayton... next you'll have me do your maths homework to cross a bridge! DAMN YOU!

Seriously though, the whole Forest Gump thing your using falls in line with my previous comment, that the bitching with regards to a loved work getting changed for a game is hypocritical.

If you dislike this game for not being like Dante's Inferno then you must by logic, hate God of War for not sticking to the proper myths (The Fates getting their shit fucked up by one guy?, no just no, never .... no no no no)

as to the marketing, I think its a very clever marketing strategy, when RockStar pulls this sort of shit people praise them for how avant garde they are, EA does it and its "Big bad EA".... and the game will most likely not suck, the engine is solid and the combat looks fun... from all the demo users I hear its fucking great fun!

But yeah, Forest Gump with chains around his hands murdering everyone is pretty cool, I mean that guy is unrelenting! did you see him get shot in the ass and still jog through all of Vietnam?.

I'm actually looking forward to this game, not because I want to buy it right now, I just want to taste it, the glutton that I am.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
ColdStorage said:
damn it, I now have to think for myself on the whim to reply to you as opposed to the idea I've commented on which i've had for years (the one about raping works of art), damn you professorLayton... next you'll have me do your maths homework to cross a bridge! DAMN YOU!

Seriously though, the whole Forest Gump thing your using falls in line with my previous comment, that the bitching with regards to a loved work getting changed for a game is hypocritical.

If you dislike this game for not being like Dante's Inferno then you must by logic, hate God of War for not sticking to the proper myths (The Fates getting their shit fucked up by one guy?, no just no, never .... no no no no)

as to the marketing, I think its a very clever marketing strategy, when RockStar pulls this sort of shit people praise them for how avant garde they are, EA does it and its "Big bad EA".... and the game will most likely not suck, the engine is solid and the combat looks fun... from all the demo users I hear its fucking great fun!

But yeah, Forest Gump with chains around his hands murdering everyone is pretty cool, I mean that guy is unrelenting! did you see him get shot in the ass and still jog through all of Vietnam?.

I'm actually looking forward to this game, not because I want to buy it right now, I just want to taste it, the glutton that I am.
Well the reason why I don't hate God of War for that is because that one is loosely based on the myths, except instead of calling itself The Odyssey or something it's God of War and took ideas from it. Dante's Inferno has the same name! It's based off of a book, not ideas. Take this for example. If there was a game in the future made about Christianity, that would be different than if someone made a game about a book about Christianity. What about Resident Evil? The movies were good, but had nothing to do with the games. I honestly think that the Resident Evil movies could have been named "Zombie Movie" and no one would have been able to tell that it was supposed to be Resident Evil.

Also, the marketing is a bit overboard, in my opinion. That's just all. There's really no reason why they would spend this much time and money on advertising alone.

DigitalSushi

Dec 24, 2008
ProfessorLayton said:
ColdStorage said:

Well the reason why I don't hate God of War for that is because that one is loosely based on the myths, except instead of calling itself The Odyssey or something it's God of War and took ideas from it. Dante's Inferno has the same name! It's based off of a book, not ideas. Take this for example. If there was a game in the future made about Christianity, that would be different than if someone made a game about a book about Christianity. What about Resident Evil? The movies were good, but had nothing to do with the games. I honestly think that the Resident Evil movies could have been named "Zombie Movie" and no one would have been able to tell that it was supposed to be Resident Evil.

Also, the marketing is a bit overboard, in my opinion. That's just all. There's really no reason why they would spend this much time and money on advertising alone.
This is the difference between God of War and Dante's Inferno, Dante's Inferno uses the names to something that is solid and then create's a back story to it with the main title, while God of War makes a backstory out something which others may have a different view on.

Dante's legacy is solid, since it is a book and the view on that will remain as such, while Greek myth is not, its not a book but a compendium of idea's and as such, is ok to sacrilege.

devilmore

Nov 18, 2009
katsabas said:
devilmore said:
Somehow i don't think people who read La Divina Comedia and people who'd play that kinda game are really the in the category - even if they both watch the superbowl...
Think again, matey. Red the book and like Hack N Slash. So....
I wonder how 9 year olds that attend the match will react to the ad.
So did I. That makes at least 2 of us, worth an add indeed.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Actually looking forward to Dante's Inferno quite a bit. If it manages to keep up the atmosphere in that trailer that someone posted above, I'll be all over it.

XertX77

Feb 8, 2010
@Azmael Silverlance Yea actually blizzard is working on a game like this,... actually its the third one its called DIABLO!! Helloooooo