The End of Flash? Firefox Is Now Automatically Blocking Flash By Default

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
The End of Flash? Firefox Is Now Automatically Blocking Flash By Default

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/MarkSchmidty/status/620783674561327104]Due to security concerns, Mozilla is taking Facebook's lead and automatically blocking Adobe Flash in Firefox browsers by default.

At one time, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/adobe%20flash?os=adobe+flash>Adobe Flash used to be cutting edge, letting content creators display videos and game content in anyone's browser. It quickly proliferated across the internet and directly supported the growth of web portals like Newgrounds, but today? Flash is a security nightmare, filled with holes which enterprising hackers can exploit to access your system. For that reason, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/facebook>Facebook's head of security, Alex Stamos, is calling on Adobe to kill Flash for good. Meanwhile, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/mozilla>Mozilla's Mark Schmidt is going a step further by blocking all versions of Flash in Firefox - at least until Adobe gives it an overhaul.

"It is time for Adobe to announce the end-of-life date for Flash and to ask the browsers to set killbits on the same day," Stamos <a href=https://twitter.com/alexstamos/status/620306643360706561>wrote via Twitter.

The popular Flash plugin was a precursor to modern video delivery systems, making it possible to view content without downloading massive files. We now have a huge array of alternatives, but Flash is so prevalent on the internet that many websites haven't bothered to make the leap. Stamos and Schmidt are basically saying that if Adobe won't make Flash more secure, other companies need to pressure the internet to embrace other solutions.

"To be clear, Flash is only blocked until Adobe releases a version which isn't being actively exploited by publicly known vulnerabilities," Schmidt <a href=https://twitter.com/MarkSchmidty/status/620806013768323072>clarified on his own Twitter account.

While I'm all for internet security, I have to admit it's incredibly bizarre to read these statements. Flash once had a unbeatable presence across multiple tech fields, to the point that <a href=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvey_Birdman,_Attorney_at_Law>Adult Swim television shows were produced with it. Flash also launched the careers of several indie developers, leading to the creation of games like Super Meat Boy. In other words, Flash enabled a great deal of what we love about the internet and modern media, a detail many critics don't always acknowledge.

At the same time, Adobe doesn't have the best track record for addressing security flaws or keeping up with the competition. We might finally be at the point where brand-name recognition isn't enough to protect Flash anymore - but whether that leads to Adobe updating Flash or putting it out of its misery remains to be seen.

Source: <a href=http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/14/firefox-blocks-flash/?ncid=rss_truncated>Engadget

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Oh so thats what happened.

Like hell im turning Flash off. Cant watch anime or youtube nor can i do anything on Newgrounds.

It did have the nice side effect of slaying all the ads though :p

Does kind of remind you just how old Flash is though. Its original incarnations date back to 1995.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
well unless the some of the videos i watch start using a different thing i will not stop using it

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
Past is the past, corporate future is now? No. This is stupid. Flash is fine. Everything has security problems in one way or another and outright killing a longstanding program which things will continue to rely upon due to them being abandoned, is stupid.

A newer, shinier flash is probably the future but continuity is needed. Upgrade and patch flash, but upgrade from existing code so it's nice and compatible and stays recognizable as flash.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Its long, dragged out death needs to stop now. If the security for it isn't taken seriously, hand over the majority of animations/videos to a better alternative.

The one thing I see happening though is the crashing of a lot of old stuff I like without any way to view it. Unless the people who 'run' those sites actually care, some experiences are bound to get lost in the transition. :/

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Anti-American Eagle said:
Past is the past, corporate future is now? No. This is stupid. Flash is fine. Everything has security problems in one way or another and outright killing a longstanding program which things will continue to rely upon due to them being abandoned, is stupid.

A newer, shinier flash is probably the future but continuity is needed. Upgrade and patch flash, but upgrade from existing code so it's nice and compatible and stays recognizable as flash.
There's a definite difference in architecture and attack surface though.

Flash is built on NPAPI which runs it natively with the same privileges as your browser. Whilst browsers can and do take serious measures to limit Flash's capabilities the simple fact remains that the basic architecture it's built upon has a much larger attack surface than HTML5 alternatives.

Whilst it's true that everything has security problems in one way or another, Flash's problems are simply much more likely to be serious due to it's nature.

Simply put. Flash is built on a marsh. It's sinking. We can keep on doing intensive maintenance to keep it upright but it's going to keep on sinking. Or we could move to a nice HTML5 place build on solid ground, which certainly would require maintenance as well, but at least it's not built on a freaking marsh.

Zaydin

Mar 2, 2009
All I had to do to stop Firefox from blocking Flash was to update to the latest version of Flash. Not that big a deal.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Meh, the only time I ever want to use Flash is to play the occasional Adult Swim browser game or watch some series or anime.

Actually HTML5 runs and looks wonderfully better than Flash, so... yeah, I expect the move to HTML5 soon, it was a long time coming, to be honest.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
I got it deactivated for a month now, surprisingly pretty much everything I frequent doesn't use it anyway.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Adam Jensen said:
Good. Let it die a fast death and switch over to HTML5 already.
Dear gods, please let this happen. Flash is basically on terminal life support now. Even Adobe doesn't seem to give a shit about it anymore. With each new update, we're faced either with catastrophic security issues or massive technical problems like memory leaks.

Flash needs to go away or undergo a dramatic overhaul. At this point, I'm all for the former. And frankly, Adobe should feel the same.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Well that explains why I had to re-allow Flash on every website. If you want to kill it, Mozilla, fine, but at least provide an alternative before fucking over my video watching.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
gigastar said:
Like hell im turning Flash off. Cant watch anime or youtube nor can i do anything on Newgrounds.
I'm watching YouTube right now. With Flash disabled.

Vigormortis said:
Dear gods, please let this happen. Flash is basically on terminal life support now. Even Adobe doesn't seem to give a shit about it anymore. With each new update, we're faced either with catastrophic security issues or massive technical problems like memory leaks.

Flash needs to go away or undergo a dramatic overhaul. At this point, I'm all for the former. And frankly, Adobe should feel the same.
Unfortunately, I expect half-ass measures to get it fixed to the point Mozilla caves, goes "good enough" and enables it by default again.

Zydrate said:
And Chrome has blocked Unity. This is a very annoying trend.
You understand that you can enable Flash, right? And it's specifically disabled because of known security issues?

I'm not sure I'll be sad to see Flash go bye-bye, but disabling it seems the right step here.

Jun 20, 2013
I don't think Archer was ever on Adult Swim, at least not in the US.

I don't think Flash should go away entirely. Too much of the internet relies on it. So many games, so many toons. I mean, Homestar Runner! We should move on to alternatives, but keeping it around is a necessity for historic preservation.

Although, I do think the end of Flash would be the end of the browser game as we know it. Unity is nice and all, but it's pretty heavy for browser use. I don't think HTML5 gaming is going to go anywhere, having consistency between browsers is part of what actually made Flash decent when it wasn't terrible. So maybe we'll see a resurgence in Java?

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
I had finally got rid of Flash months ago (just de-installed it, altogether) when they had a big 0-day exploit running in the wild for their latest update at the time. There's only been one instance for which I had begrudgingly reinstalled it, briefly, and then re-de-install it after I was done, and that was to clean-up the thumbs-up/thumbs-downs on my stations in Pandora. And before anyone says anything, I don't listen to Pandora through my browser. I use my mobile devices or the desktop app, instead. Otherwise, I have not needed or missed Flash (that memory and CPU hogging, insecure monstrosity) so much as one iota (even more so now that Twitch no longer needs Flash, not even for the chat).

Tyranicus

Feb 8, 2008
gigastar said:

Does kind of remind you just how old Flash is though. Its original incarnations date back to 1995.
Wait what? You still go to Newgrounds?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Tyranicus said:
gigastar said:

Wait what? You still go to Newgrounds?
Yes. Once in a while to see if Krinkels has actually done anything.

SnowyGamester

Tech Head
Oct 18, 2009
Hagi said:
Simply put. Flash is built on a marsh. It's sinking. We can keep on doing intensive maintenance to keep it upright but it's going to keep on sinking.
So now that it's burned down, fallen over and sank for the third time again maybe it will stay up now.

OT: Use an extension [https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/flashcontrol/mfidmkgnfgnkihnjeklbekckimkipmoe] to blacklist flash by default and only load it on sites you trust. It's more secure and a better browsing experience.