The end of the Marvel comics multiverse is coming

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
It's sad news that you're getting from Queen Michael today, my friends. The Marvel universe is being rebooted. The upcoming miniseries Secret Wars will end the Marvel universe as we know it.

Read more here. [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/marvel-confirms-comic-book-reboot-765204]

Thoughts, friends?

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Queen Michael said:
Thoughts, friends?
I think it's really hard to care anymore. The New 52 shat all over my DC, and that put me off superhero comics enough that I only really read them when someone lends me a collected edition.

My guess (without following the link; see above re not caring) is that they're going to try and make it more like the movies to bring in casual fans.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013

Why Marvel, why are you doing this to us? 50 years, 50 god dame years 616 has been going strong, now you're rebooting all that? For what? To get causal fans who otherwise wouldn't be into them to start reading? That was the whole point of Marvel NOW! and it failed horribly (mainly because causal fans will not buy anything that isn't an omnibus or full set at a book store). New 52's failure should have been clear warning that this type of thing doesn't work, not in the long or even medium run.

I stopped reading Spider-Man when the nightmare that was One More Day happened because it erased the history of the character, if you do that with the whole cast I'd go back to the Ultimates, oh wait you're ruining that too along with everything else in the multiverse (who do I feel this is just a piss poor way of getting one specific character from the Ultimates universe into the 616 one?)

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Zontar said:
(who do I feel this is just a piss poor way of getting one specific character from the Ultimates universe into the 616 one?)
Michael Tabbut said:
So long as Miles Morales survives into this new combined universe, I could care less.
Hm... I think the two of you are onto something...

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
Guys, guys it's ok.. Guys it's going to be ok.. YOU UNFLIP THAT TABLE MISTER..

Ok, guys, this isn't a reboot in the same way DC rebooted, none of the past content is going to be lost (well.. a lot of it won't at least). This is simply a merger of their on-going books and content. Some of the comics that they put out aren't doing so well, but they've become legacy comics meaning they print them because they're expected. This is just realigning the pieces and merging down the books on hand, so that they can relaunch their line fresh with those characters in the main pull (expanding this back out with new cast). Miles and a still married spider-man? Probably'll be together going forward...

This is just an end to the Ultimates Universe (among others that have gotten away from them), not their characters (that fans like). Also, this might mean they have to rely less on Deadpool! Yayification!!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I'm not too suprised as I did felt the Heroic Age or that new look of the heroes (like Hulk had some armours and Iron Man was gold and black) look like a reboot attempt.

Still I am getting a feeling this reboot will benefit the movies in a way like maybe the new apperance of Captain America and etc will look more akin to their movie counterpart. Heck I bet Hawkeye reboot will definitely be his movie apperance instead of his orignal mask look.

I guess the one reboot character that greatly benefit from is Spider-man, back to the radioactive spider (and NOT being some magical spider thing and totem crap) and he won't get cloned!!

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
As long as they don't go the route the New 52 did, I won't be angry... just rather annoyed that they're rebooting it at all.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
This is why I could never get into the superhero fad. It just keeps going round and round, eating its own tail.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Queen Michael said:
Thoughts, friends?
Being pretty heavily invested in the Spider-verse story arc, this feels like a pretty big kick in the nuts. I was just getting interested in the character again after one-more-day, loved the Superior Spider-Man, and now........put it this way: I have not bought a single DC issue since the new 52 came out. What is the point of even continuing to read a story if it will be retconned out of it's own history a few months later?

Tell you this: I am NOT reading any origin stories anymore, fuck uncle Ben. I really think Marvel is shooting themselves in the foot here.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Johnny Novgorod said:
This is why I could never get into the superhero fad. It just keeps going round and round, eating its own tail.
That's always been my problem as well, well half my problem.

There's two issues with comic books, the first is the fact that there's just too much lore and the second is the constant pull back to the status quo.

Simultaneously too much happens in comic books, and also not enough happens. There is tons of lore, and tons of call backs, references, and fan call-outs they you're supposed to be aware while reading any particular storyline, but at the same time almost nothing in the universe ever changes. Characters die and get brought back to life, couples break up and get back together, universes are destroyed and then reborn and it all ends up having very little effect on anything.

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
That's always been my problem as well, well half my problem.

There's two issues with comic books, the first is the fact that there's just too much lore and the second is the constant pull back to the status quo.

Simultaneously too much happens in comic books, and also not enough happens. There is tons of lore, and tons of call backs, references, and fan call-outs they you're supposed to be aware while reading any particular storyline, but at the same time almost nothing in the universe ever changes. Characters die and get brought back to life, couples break up and get back together, universes are destroyed and then reborn and it all ends up having very little effect on anything.
*cracks knuckles* See, I do comic books. I read and work on them myself, and I'll go over the same thing that I say to everyone that says that. Your problem is with legacy comics, not superhero comics.

Legacy and zombie comics are comics that have years of lore, status quos and fan specific renditions to their characters. These are the long tooth heroes and comics from the big name comic companies that are akin to circle track racing. Making your laps and keeping as far ahead as you can. What you need are drag racing comics. The one and done, fast paced comics that don't have time for decompression.

Here the little guy is king, and I recommend going to your local comic book shop, and asking about one off, mini series comics, or those that have a finite number. Want a comic where a hero dies each book? Comix Tribe has Red Ten. Want a story that is literally a comic soap opera, drama and secrets? Supurbia is your book. How about looking for We3, trust me. You've got your The Maxx, The Crow, V for Vendetta, Transmetropolitan, and Watchmen sure. But I can't recommend Sex Criminals enough, or the Goon if you want a longer comic, Chew, Saga, Wanted (though not all of these are for all ages)..

How about just a single omnibus? Grant Morrison's Animal Man is a good one, oh, or how about the Planetary Omnibus? Comics with single trades as well, like Gladstone's School for World Conquerors. There are absolutely tons of very good self contained stories that you can collect the entirety of it.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Yeah, just like Heroes Reborn.

But seriously la-aaaaame. The New 52 was a terrible idea, just as this would be.

chiasmata

Jan 20, 2015
Siiiigh. I stopped reading DC with the New 52, the new directions for everyone just made me cringe. But I'm surprised Marvel is going down the same path. A lot of what they've been doing has gotten good media attention, like female!Thor, Miss Marvel, the X-Men wedding a few years back. I don't see what they hope to achieve with the reboot.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
chiasmata said:
Siiiigh. I stopped reading DC with the New 52, the new directions for everyone just made me cringe. But I'm surprised Marvel is going down the same path. A lot of what they've been doing has gotten good media attention, like female!Thor, Miss Marvel, the X-Men wedding a few years back. I don't see what they hope to achieve with the reboot.
Well the answer to that is simple

The new 52 turn to shit but when it started out it made dc a fuck-ton of money and marvel wants that money even if it only works in the short term.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
This is why I can't get into superhero comics. Their backstories are common knowledge, and when combined with movies and recent installments, their characters become obvious and condensed. Though when you take into account universe reboots, different writers, obscure issues that fans constantly bring up in nonsensical discussions, and many other things, the whole idea just turns into an incomprehensible mess.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Honestly, I understand why fans are upset, and I sympathize, but this is essentially the reason I don't read superhero comics. This is expected, to be frank. Still, it seems like a strange business idea. I wonder if a certain mouse was related to this decision...

I think I'll stick to manga and graphic novels. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go wait patiently for Berserk. I'll be waiting for a long, long time.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Lets see....an intelligent virus helped kill Wolverine and the SS formula was extracted from Cap. If a reboot wasn't happening, it'd be a real shitty time to start reading Marvel comics as these two characters are among the primary draws for newcomers. Killing a 200 yr old, "unkillable" character who has been in the books for over 40 years, and turning another that's been around for twice as long into...well, a geriatric, are things that sound more fitting of a "What If" than primary continuity, and soon that's what it will be.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
If you read New Avengers and Avengers. It doesn't look like a hard reboot is coming.

Rather the multiverse has been collapsing, through a series of incidents where two universes collide and one survives.

In the end only two look to be remaining the regular universe and ultimate. A bunch of marvel villains escaped into the ultimate universe and have joined with Ultimate Reed Richards (who is a villain).

Which is likely going to be the catalyst for the new Secret War.

After which presumably a bunch of Ultimate characters they want to keep like Miles Morale will escape into the 616 universe and the ones they don't want will die.