The End of the World: Zombie Apocalypse Review - A Romp With Undead

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
The End of the World: Zombie Apocalypse Review - A Romp With Undead

In a roleplaying game where you play yourselves, who will survive and who won't?

Read Full Article

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
That....sounds....AWESOME!!!!

I get that some people might not like the shorter game-play sessions but my rag-tag D&D group can only get together MAYBE once per month for a few hours. We (or at least I and I'm the GM so my rules!) love zombies and these types of scenarios so this sounds like it would be perfect for me.

$60 on Amazon is a touch steep though so I'll have to keep my eye out for this guy. It sounds amazing.

Jan 12, 2012
In my own sessions, players had tactical armor used for paintball, hunting knives and equipment, and more.
Man, you guys come loaded for bear. Most of my players would be armed with "set of Chessex dice, mostly complete" and "Pencil borrowed from GM".

It sounds interesting, at least mechanically. My players aren't big fans of zombies, and I'm very opposed to game where people have to stat and play themselves, especially when the group votes on how accurate their version of themselves is. That said, I'm going to keep an eye out this series to see if they make a master book or at least a more interesting version, as I'm always up for a system that's got a unique mechanic.

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Thunderous Cacophony said:
In my own sessions, players had tactical armor used for paintball, hunting knives and equipment, and more.
Man, you guys come loaded for bear. Most of my players would be armed with "set of Chessex dice, mostly complete" and "Pencil borrowed from GM".

It sounds interesting, at least mechanically. My players aren't big fans of zombies, and I'm very opposed to game where people have to stat and play themselves, especially when the group votes on how accurate their version of themselves is. That said, I'm going to keep an eye out this series to see if they make a master book or at least a more interesting version, as I'm always up for a system that's got a unique mechanic.
My players would come with pistols.

Because 'murica.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
tippy2k2 said:

I get that some people might not like the shorter game-play sessions but my rag-tag D&D group can only get together MAYBE once per month for a few hours. We (or at least I and I'm the GM so my rules!) love zombies and these types of scenarios so this sounds like it would be perfect for me.

$60 on Amazon is a touch steep though so I'll have to keep my eye out for this guy. It sounds amazing.
The PDF version is available at Drive Thru RPG for about $20 right now - http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/141786/The-End-Of-The-World-Zombie-Apocalypse

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Fanghawk said:
tippy2k2 said:

The PDF version is available at Drive Thru RPG for about $20 right now - http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/141786/The-End-Of-The-World-Zombie-Apocalypse
After scouring the interwebz, I found that Amazon has it for the highest price (which I find is rare but not impossible). The most common price I'm seeing for the hardcover is $40 on multiple websites and I imagine that's the price I'll find if I go to some hobby shops.

Thank you for letting me know about the PDF though. I would much rather have the hardcover but hopefully it will help someone else out.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011

I'm really looking forward to the Alien Invasion and Robot Uprising books, since those scenarios will put a very different spin on the gameplay. There will also be a Return of the Gods book that covers everything from Zeus to Cthulhu.

And yeah, apparently my friends are power gamers in the real world too.

Ajarat

Apr 29, 2014
I could swear I've either heard of this game before, or seen a game very much like it... maybe it's just deja vu and I'm off my rocker again. Still sounds like fun though!

Fanghawk said:
Very nice to know, thanks for the link! Since I work at a printing plant with full bindery, having the book custom-designed and bound will be simple. Again, many thanks!

Fanghawk said:
I'm really looking forward to the Alien Invasion and Robot Uprising books, since those scenarios will put a very different spin on the gameplay. There will also be a Return of the Gods book that covers everything from Zeus to Cthulhu.
Oh, now that sounds all too fun! I hope combining scenarios won't be too difficult.

So it's the End of the World, is it? I feel more than fine... I'm excited!!!1!eleventy-one!!

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
JonB said:

Because 'murica.
I reckon that differs with each GM a little, I guess. I'm going to go play this next Wednesday and the GM I play with is of the lenient kind. He's probably going to allow us stuff we actually own even though we might not have it with us at that very moment, which would actually make my archery skill useful for once.

And I already know what the first thing is that I'm going to suggest to get; motorcycle suits. Because good luck biting through Kevlar. I'm also quite sure I'm not going to regret always carrying simple supplies like bandaids and painkillers and the like in my backpack.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for the next couple books in this series too. Especially the Return of the Gods one, that sounds quite special.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Cowabungaa said:
JonB said:

Because 'murica.
I reckon that differs with each GM a little, I guess. I'm going to go play this next Wednesday and the GM I play with is of the lenient kind. He's probably going to allow us stuff we actually own even though we might not have it with us at that very moment, which would actually make my archery skill useful for once.

And I already know what the first thing is that I'm going to suggest to get; motorcycle suits. Because good luck biting through Kevlar. I'm also quite sure I'm not going to regret always carrying simple supplies like bandaids and painkillers and the like in my backpack.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for the next couple books in this series too. Especially the Return of the Gods one, that sounds quite special.
The GM could allow that, although I think the more interesting route is to make quests out of reaching those other apartments. Fits the meta tone and matches the difficulty curve nicely as the scenario timeline progresses.

Either way, early gameplay is usually about scrambling to find what you DON'T have.