The Escapist Awards 2009 - Winners Announcement

axle 19

Bearer of the Necronomicon
Aug 2, 2008
These are the award right........... I agree with the OP that this was definitely a slow year for gaming but I mostly on the winners with some exception and I wont be nitpicking. Dragon Age got a few and definitely made me happy.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Aww....no award for Spelunky...*cries in corner*

Although I am pleased that you picked PvZ as "Casual Game of the Year." Also, here is the obligatory mention to your lawn and the zombies that are on it. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N1_0SUGlDQ]

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Aww... I was hoping Wet would win box art and AAAAAaaaAAaaa would win name. Oh well, I'll take consolation that 'Splosion Man won best senseless fun.

The Undoer

Sep 13, 2009
Can't help but say I'm offended because of reading "The console may be king" on the "Best PC Game" award. Meh. Maybe I'm just easily offended.

Heart of Darkness said:
Aww....no award for Spelunky...*cries in corner*

Although I am pleased that you picked PvZ as "Casual Game of the Year." Also, here is the obligatory mention to your lawn and the zombies that are on it. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N1_0SUGlDQ]
The link there earns a cookie from me. Sadly I ate all the cookies.

swimon

Jul 23, 2009
No love for Zeno clash huh? I can see how it lost aesthetic since muramasa is hot competition (I would have voted for Zeno but it's a hard choice) and I haven't played brütal legend so perhaps it's a better location than the superb temple. But how come it wasn't even nominated as fighting game of the year? Sure it's not a tradtional fighter but if you fight people in a game is it not a fighting game?

Other than that I agree with very little but I can see why you chose as you did, except for best name. How is AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity not the best name this year, how is it not the best name ever? Except maybe Deus Ex because it's so really clever and Morrowind because it sits so weirdly nice on your tongue (the whole name with the scrolls bit and all that is rather dreadfull tho).

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Only game I bought or cared about last year was Empire Total war, and it deserves its award.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
Overall I'm pretty happy about the results. DA:O won 4 awards, holy balls! Awesome game though.

I do however think that Dogmeat should have won the Most Companionable Canine award.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
I'm happy that they didn't do what the dice awards did and give nigh on everything to Uncharted. I hear it's good, but seriously, nothing is good enough to warrant all but three awards going to it.

Emendo5

Mar 25, 2009
A few things I didnt agree but overall I cant complain. 2009 has been probably one of the best years for gaming out there.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Jim Grim said:
Brutal Legend: Best writing? Really?
I found myself saying "Really?" to myself alot going through this list. The only ones I could really get behind were Best Sandbox AC2 (very well deserved, but I was surprised Infamous wasn't nominated) and best DLC for F3 Point Lookout (best $10 I ever spent).

Brutal Legend's writing award made me say "Really?" but then I thought about it and realized: what topped it this year?

Spitfire175

Jul 1, 2009
Oh wow, gee, what a surprise, The Escapist looks past the sticky gameplay, outrageously short length, horrid, laggy, bumpy multiplayer that is filled with cheaters, crashing servers and hackers, and calls MW2 the best shooter? And the "shooting man's shooter"? Excuse me, what? And Infinity ward knows guns? Are you people high? It's the "hey look at me I'm 12 and I'm teh bestest snipar evah! -man's" shooter. A slightly below average boomfest for kids who think Transformers is the best film ever, because it had tanks and guns and stuff.

Geamo

Aug 27, 2008
A fairly good list, as excellence is subjective. Big props for Batamn: AA as Game of the Year, well deserved!

One thing though: Best Voice Acting to Uncharted 2? Seriously? Not Batman: AA, for Mark Hamill's magnificent Joker?

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Of the 3 games nominated for Wii game of the year 2 were published by Sega.Funny how times change

Bit disappointed that Little King's Story wasn't nominated for Wii GOTY though.It was imo one of the best games on Wii last year

Other than that no real complaints about the winners.Fully agree with Batman for overall GOTY

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
JEBWrench said:
Batman: Arkham Asylum. Game of the year, but not the best game of its genre!
this and few other other "wait, what?" moments for me, but not bad overall. cheers.