The Escapist Awards - Game of the Year 2013

The Escapist Staff

New member
Jul 10, 2006
6,151
0
0
The Escapist Awards - Game of the Year 2013

The Escapist Award for Game of the Year 2013 goes to ...

Read Full Article
 

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
7,190
0
0
No disagreement from me, it was my favourite game of last year as well. Kind of a shame it's an exclusive, it's the kind of game I think a lot of people ought to play (assuming they like that kind of game).

I am surprised Enemy Within got so far. It was an enjoyable expansion pack, but I feel that having played the game several times beforehand, it wasn't enough to get me to do more than one new play through. It added some excellent features, but not enough to feel like a complete one.
 

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
6,766
0
0
Meh, I would say I'm surprised, but what should we come to expect from the Escapist? I mean if throwing pandas was an Olympic sport, well the Escapist wouldn't attend because that's so mainstream and conformist of them. They don't play by your rules, man! But rest assured, IF they were to attend, they would talk home the gold
 

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
16,698
760
118
Country
Argentina
Well the people spoke and the game was chosen. Meanwhile all those spambot users championing Papers Please are nowhere to be found.
 

Arslan Aladeen

New member
Oct 9, 2012
371
0
0
Silentpony said:
Meh, I would say I'm surprised, but what should we come to expect from the Escapist? I mean if throwing pandas was an Olympic sport, well the Escapist wouldn't attend because that's so mainstream and conformist of them. They don't play by your rules, man! But rest assured, IF they were to attend, they would talk home the gold
How is the Last of Us a non-conformist, anti-mainstream choice for them? You go to nearly any website, GOTY is pretty much a 3 way race b/w Last of Us, GTAV, and Bioshock Infinite, with Last of Us usually being the winner. Not necessarily my choice picks, but whatever.
 

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
4,860
0
0
I absolutely agree with the decision. I liked all of those games (haven't played AC yet) but The Last of Us is the one that stuck with me. I'm really happy it won.

Arslan Aladeen said:
Silentpony said:
Meh, I would say I'm surprised, but what should we come to expect from the Escapist? I mean if throwing pandas was an Olympic sport, well the Escapist wouldn't attend because that's so mainstream and conformist of them. They don't play by your rules, man! But rest assured, IF they were to attend, they would talk home the gold
How is the Last of Us a non-conformist, anti-mainstream choice for them? You go to nearly any website, GOTY is pretty much a 3 way race b/w Last of Us, GTAV, and Bioshock Infinite, with Last of Us usually being the winner. Not necessarily my choice picks, but whatever.
Yeah, I was wondering how picking one of the most awarded games as GOTY could possible be considered contra-mainstream?

In fact, a cursory look at the GOTY awards from a list of sites shows TLOU to be the most awarded game in this area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Game_of_the_Year_awards

So... non-conformist? Nope. It was just a damn good game.
 

BlindChance

Librarian
Sep 8, 2009
442
0
0
Johnny Novgorod said:
Well the people spoke and the game was chosen. Meanwhile all those spambot users championing Papers Please are nowhere to be found.
I'm right here. :) Glory to Arstotska!

I'm in a weird place here, actually. The best game of the year to my mind wasn't nominated (Papers, Please). The game they chose as GotY I was kind of underwhelmed by... wonderful writing and story, but gameplay wise I found it lacklustre. The runner up is from a franchise I've never enjoyed and thus haven't played.

That said, if it must be one of those five, yeah, I'd go with The Last of Us.
 

t850terminator

New member
Nov 21, 2013
43
0
0
I liked TLoU... its my choice for GOTY...
Okay, TLoU won....so...what now?
Well, time to wait for another Jimquistion and ZP now...
 

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
8,977
0
0
TLOU feels like the game equivalent of "oscar bait".

It's a linear as hell third person shooter (cause we can never get enough of those) with survival mechanics in a "totally not zombie" apocalypse with fucking bad controls and an alright story.

Game of the year.

Also, Ni No Kuni wasn't on the list but Enemy Within was? Really?
I mean it's an expansion, does it even count?

My game of the year? Rogue Legacy.
 

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
1,262
0
0
The Escapist Staff said:
... while delivering the fantastically refined stealth-action mechanics Ubisoft has perfected over the years.
Wait, what?

I am enjoying Ass Creed IV, and the pirate stuff is great, but to say the action-stealth mechanics have been "perfected" is just bizarre. You mean, the same mechanics where you're either walking around at a snail's pace, or jumping onto everything in sight like a crack monkey who has had too many coffees?

It doesn't seem possible in this game to jog or even walk briskly. If you hit the "run" button, you're not merely running, but launching yourself randomly at whatever objects are nearby, and it can be difficult to get off them, unless you want to launch yourself at another object.
 

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
12,070
0
0
Aardvaarkman said:
The Escapist Staff said:
... while delivering the fantastically refined stealth-action mechanics Ubisoft has perfected over the years.
Wait, what?

I am enjoying Ass Creed IV, and the pirate stuff is great, but to say the action-stealth mechanics have been "perfected" is just bizarre. You mean, the same mechanics where you're either walking around at a snail's pace, or jumping around onto everything in sight like a crack monkey who has had too many coffees?

It doesn't seem possible in this game to jog or even walk briskly. If you hit the "run" button, you're not merely running, but launching yourself randomly at whatever objects are nearby, and it can be difficult to get off them, unless you want to launch yourself at another object.
"Stealth-Action". Not stealth. I think AC4 does a great job of letting you play as either running/climbing, as you say, or stealthy walking.

Greg
 

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
1,262
0
0
Greg Tito said:
"Stealth-Action". Not stealth. I think AC4 does a great job of letting you play as either running/climbing, as you say, or stealthy walking.
I guess we'll have to disagree on this one, as I think the running/climbing thing barely works in this game. Sometimes the controls are almost random - do I have to press "jump" while pressing forward to climb this object, or just press forward? Who knows? Sometimes pressing jump will launch you right off the object into a bunch of enemies; other times, you can't climb further without pressing jump.

It's crazily inconsistent and buggy as hell.

The sections where you have to play in towns or do stealth missions often make me stop playing the game and wish for a section that will get me back out to the high seas.
 

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
3,258
0
0
Can't say I'm all that surprised. The Last of Us was the overwhelmingly critically praised game of the year and I was not expecting The Escapist to not jump on that bandwagon.

As for AssCreed IV, well from what I've played (and what I've seen of my Dad playing it) it's reasonably well put together and I understand why people do love it so. It didn't really grip me and I put it down in boredom at around the third mission, meh. Assassin's Creed's never had my interest anyway.
 

The Escapist Staff

New member
Jul 10, 2006
6,151
0
0
Wow, that is the most surprising outcome I have ever seen, never saw that coming!

Never got to play it as I lack a PS3, but I have been having an absolute blast with Assassins Creed IV Black Flag, finished it 100% (bar a few Abstergo challenges, dunno how to play some of the minigames) and am hankering for more, might just grab the DLC.

My personal GotY is Shin Megami Tensei IV, with Fire Emblem: Awakening coming in a close second, this year was quitethe year for gaming.
 

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
33,804
0
0
I suppose it's still Skyrim for me, because after all this fury has died down, I will return there and still be playing and loving it years from now. Strange that Enemy Within was there, though, it's only an expansion.
 

nyankaty

New member
Nov 4, 2013
111
0
0
TLoU was not without problems, but the sum of its parts, including its music (especially its music, it was stunning), environments, rendering, voice acting, character development, plot, etc, added up to a really beautiful package. Taking it for its mechanics and gameplay alone is unfair; I can admit that those did have their own issues.

I can't say I've yet played AssCreed4. Waiting for it to get a little cheaper, then I'll be all over it.
 

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
8,687
0
0
Black Flag singlehandedly fucked up my entire bracket. Just another reason for me to hate the AC series. :p
 

JackWestJr

New member
Apr 9, 2011
172
0
0
Very happy for the game to have won, is my personal GOTY as well :) Amazing experience, all you haters, carry on being hipsters.
 

Caius

New member
Oct 19, 2011
3
0
0
Johnny Novgorod said:
Well the people spoke and the game was chosen. Meanwhile all those spambot users championing Papers Please are nowhere to be found.
Weird. I'm still here. But i'm not seeing the spambots from The Last of Us...

Also, i think it's a little sad that no mention to the amazing acomplishment of Papers, Please. TLoU won by less than 20 votes...
 

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
16,698
760
118
Country
Argentina
Caius said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Well the people spoke and the game was chosen. Meanwhile all those spambot users championing Papers Please are nowhere to be found.
Weird. I'm still here. But i'm not seeing the spambots from The Last of Us...

Also, i think it's a little sad that no mention to the amazing acomplishment of Papers, Please. TLoU won by less than 20 votes...
Well, you have a 2011 inception date. Not last-minute spambot material.
The Last of Us won by exactly 9 votes, and the article stresses a lot how back-to-back the home stretch was.
 

Atlon

New member
Sep 17, 2012
10
0
0
Barbas said:
I suppose it's still Skyrim for me, because after all this fury has died down, I will return there and still be playing and loving it years from now.
You make the most sense to me.
 

Auron225

New member
Oct 26, 2009
1,790
0
0
Yay! :) I absolutely loved The Last of Us; it deserves that for sure. Hopefully this will encourage developers to make more new IPs rather than endlessly more sequels!
 

babinro

New member
Sep 24, 2010
2,518
0
0
Some interesting results this year.

I opted to never vote because the only 2013 games listed that I played were StarCraft 2 and Bioshock Infinite. Neither of these games came head-to-head and so it never felt fair to vote against a game that I have no personal experience with.

I should be able to borrow The Last of Us from a friend later in the year so maybe I'll see what all the hype is about. I'm skeptical on since I dislike post apocalyptic setting and zombies. However, The Walking Dead Season 1 was fantastic so maybe this game will act as another exception for me.
 

StriderShinryu

New member
Dec 8, 2009
4,987
0
0
Still find it odd that Gone Home could win it's category and not be a finals nominee (and I too am a little puzzled by Enemy Within making it so far given that it's an expansion pack and not a full game). At the end of the day, however, I can't really complain. This is an extremely solid one two punch of titles.

Oh, and Bioshock Infinite didn't win or even come in second, so I'm extremely happy about that.
 

The Escapist Staff

New member
Jul 10, 2006
6,151
0
0
StriderShinryu said:
Still find it odd that Gone Home could win it's category and not be a finals nominee (and I too am a little puzzled by Enemy Within making it so far given that it's an expansion pack and not a full game). At the end of the day, however, I can't really complain. This is an extremely solid one two punch of titles.

Oh, and Bioshock Infinite didn't win or even come in second, so I'm extremely happy about that.
Simple enough, Gone Home's category isn't a gaming category. Attaching a camera onto some kind of remote controlled wheelchair and moving around a museum, getting a speech about each exhibit does not count as a game, therefore neither does Gone Home.
 

StriderShinryu

New member
Dec 8, 2009
4,987
0
0
Rainbow_Dashtruction said:
StriderShinryu said:
Still find it odd that Gone Home could win it's category and not be a finals nominee (and I too am a little puzzled by Enemy Within making it so far given that it's an expansion pack and not a full game). At the end of the day, however, I can't really complain. This is an extremely solid one two punch of titles.

Oh, and Bioshock Infinite didn't win or even come in second, so I'm extremely happy about that.
Simple enough, Gone Home's category isn't a gaming category. Attaching a camera onto some kind of remote controlled wheelchair and moving around a museum, getting a speech about each exhibit does not count as a game, therefore neither does Gone Home.
I see. So the fact that Gone Home was considered by the Escapist staff to be the best Game out of it's category (Adventure Games) invalidates the entire category. Good to know.
 

The Escapist Staff

New member
Jul 10, 2006
6,151
0
0
StriderShinryu said:
Rainbow_Dashtruction said:
StriderShinryu said:
Still find it odd that Gone Home could win it's category and not be a finals nominee (and I too am a little puzzled by Enemy Within making it so far given that it's an expansion pack and not a full game). At the end of the day, however, I can't really complain. This is an extremely solid one two punch of titles.

Oh, and Bioshock Infinite didn't win or even come in second, so I'm extremely happy about that.
Simple enough, Gone Home's category isn't a gaming category. Attaching a camera onto some kind of remote controlled wheelchair and moving around a museum, getting a speech about each exhibit does not count as a game, therefore neither does Gone Home.
I see. So the fact that Gone Home was considered by the Escapist staff to be the best Game out of it's category (Adventure Games) invalidates the entire category. Good to know.
Wait, it got slot into adventure games!? Are they trying to destroy what Adventure genre actually means?