The Escapist Awards - Game of the Year 2013

Atlon

Sep 17, 2012
Barbas said:
I suppose it's still Skyrim for me, because after all this fury has died down, I will return there and still be playing and loving it years from now.
You make the most sense to me.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Yay! :) I absolutely loved The Last of Us; it deserves that for sure. Hopefully this will encourage developers to make more new IPs rather than endlessly more sequels!

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Some interesting results this year.

I opted to never vote because the only 2013 games listed that I played were StarCraft 2 and Bioshock Infinite. Neither of these games came head-to-head and so it never felt fair to vote against a game that I have no personal experience with.

I should be able to borrow The Last of Us from a friend later in the year so maybe I'll see what all the hype is about. I'm skeptical on since I dislike post apocalyptic setting and zombies. However, The Walking Dead Season 1 was fantastic so maybe this game will act as another exception for me.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Still find it odd that Gone Home could win it's category and not be a finals nominee (and I too am a little puzzled by Enemy Within making it so far given that it's an expansion pack and not a full game). At the end of the day, however, I can't really complain. This is an extremely solid one two punch of titles.

Oh, and Bioshock Infinite didn't win or even come in second, so I'm extremely happy about that.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Rainbow_Dashtruction said:
StriderShinryu said:
Still find it odd that Gone Home could win it's category and not be a finals nominee (and I too am a little puzzled by Enemy Within making it so far given that it's an expansion pack and not a full game). At the end of the day, however, I can't really complain. This is an extremely solid one two punch of titles.

Oh, and Bioshock Infinite didn't win or even come in second, so I'm extremely happy about that.
Simple enough, Gone Home's category isn't a gaming category. Attaching a camera onto some kind of remote controlled wheelchair and moving around a museum, getting a speech about each exhibit does not count as a game, therefore neither does Gone Home.
I see. So the fact that Gone Home was considered by the Escapist staff to be the best Game out of it's category (Adventure Games) invalidates the entire category. Good to know.