The Escapist Background Contest: It's Time to Cast Your Vote!

Nasrin

Leviathan
May 30, 2011
The Escapist Background Contest: It's Time to Cast Your Vote!

Cast your vote, choose your background!

Over the past two weeks, our users have been hard at work, laboriously hunched over their faintly glowing monitors, crafting beautiful, whimsical, and sometimes questionable works of art in the name of the Escapist Background Contest. For the first time ever, we're letting you guys shape the look of the site, and the results have been a real treat to behold.

One user, [user]Redlin5[/user], even went so far as to create a yearbook of sorts, collecting the volunteered electronic signatures of many fellow Escapists to that end. "Some will say what's the point of it." he noted while assembling the work, "Well the site will be here for years to come, I'm sure of it. So when new users in 2015 get bored and switch the background settings what will they see?" They'll see you, our community, who are extremely important to us. In recognition of that esteem, and of all of the hard work that went into crafting this particularly collaborative piece, we are happy to add this wallpaper to the winners circle outright.

[http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/88/88663.jpg]

After sorting through the remainder of the entry hoard, we've selected the best of the bunch for your approval. They range from dark and thoughtful to bright and whimsical. There's even a cat, which we're pretty sure is both dark and whimsical at the same time. We welcome you to take a look at the gallery below and vote for your favorite to let us know what you think.

Each user will have [b]1[/b] vote. Images are listed from left to right, A-F, and are labeled as such underneath. The [b]3[/b] images with the most votes on Friday, April 27 at 12:00 ET will be officially added to the catalogue of background options in your [I]Escapist[/I] user profile.

Many thanks to those that participated or submitted work! Without you, none of this would be possible.

[gallery=704]

[B]Permalink[/B]

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
I can see the effort gone into the escapist fighters, but I'm just not that much of a fan, I just don't see it.
Even though it's peak has passed, Minecraft is a good choice.

I however went for the internet's only constant. Cats.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
I'll be damned, Redline did get my name on there, such a nice guy. Too bad it was too much effort for too little reward to put my name in that Mandalorian font.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I'm impressed, everyone of those would have suited and in a very different way. Lamas were a nice silly thing, I thought Minecraft was the best one to connect with the gaming but in the end the red scene was too beautiful to miss. I really want that one on my background so here's hoping it'll win

Fredrikorex

Sep 25, 2009
So, no ponies then?

Aww, I guess my vote goes to the Llamas then (they all look great though).

Landrius

Feb 14, 2011
Wasn't sure what I was going to vote for, until I saw Red Scene. Do want. Although I wouldn't mind seeing any of the others win, they're all neat.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
I briefly considered asking Redlin to have my name in Wingdings, but being cut off is better.

Love the space one, so I'm voting for that. The rest are cool, but might be too distracting...

...like that llama one. My word I can not stop staring at it. It's so beautiful.

Calumon: It's gonna be in my dreams tonight. >.<

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
I voted for the space one myself. The red scene looked nice but I didn't get what it was trying to show. Sorry if I sound like I'm mocking anyone's work but I'm not, I swear.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
While I don't hate Minecraft, I don't really care for the Minecraft background that much. It just looks fairly meh to me. The Llama one seems more of a joke sort of thing. It looks nifty, but I don't care for it. The red scene looks cool. But... seems much too dark and serious for this place in my opinion. Tempted to vote for cats because... well... kitties.

But the two I had to decide between was the space and the fighters. I like them both a lot. But I went with the fighters. The space just looks a bit to... generic for me. It looks like a good desktop background, but not so unique as a site one. The fighters has an interesting visual style and obviously had a lot of work put into it, and seems it would be the most fitting for a video game site. Too bad it likely won't win.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Woah woah, Redlin got such and such names in there but not my? I am AGAINST his wallpaper! (I'm joking.) That's pretty clever and impressive idea.
Anyway I voted for the space wallpaper.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Oh crapballs i somehow missed out on the signitures thread.

Oh well, theres always next time.

Anyway im voting for cats, because i like cats.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I really do like the space wallpaper. That said I would have put more names on there if I could have guys! This was fun! :D

[sub][sub]Thanks to everyone who signed up![/sub][/sub]

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Redlin5 said:
I really do like the space wallpaper. That said I would have put more names on there if I could have guys! This was fun! :D
Thanks for getting in the gay looking text I asked for, man <3

OT: Struggling between choosing Llamas or Cats.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
All of these are great, though it pains me that I missed the community wallpaper.
I voted for the Space one, I think the black will contrast well.

Landrius

Feb 14, 2011
At this point I'm wondering why we can't just have ALL of them. Is there a particular reason we can only have three of the six? I mean, yeah, we get to vote, but that just means that the people who liked the three who don't win are going to be disappointed and won't get to use the background they wanted to.

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
I'm hoping I got on to the yearbook one, but there's just too many names to tell.

Where's the fun in voting if we can see which picture is winning?

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
=D I love the signatures background, so it's the one I'm gonna be using. Opted for the space background myself though, it's just so aesthetically pleasing!

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Look, I like space as much as the next person, but with all the glorious wonders provided by to us by Hubble, etc., why do we have a dark, boring, black and white stars and moon shot? Where's the Crab Nebula, or something equally incredible? And, being as this site is about Escapism, what I really want to see is attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, or c-beams glittering in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.

So why is the most boring shot of space winning?