The Escapist Film Festival 2009: But I Did It in a Videogame

DRMaddock

Nov 23, 2009
But I Did It in a Videogame

Every day millions of men, women, and children encounter a myriad of scenarios outside their daily experiences. Only a brave few attempt to take those virtual experience points into the real world. These are their stories.

Watch Video

David_G

Aug 25, 2009
I really liked it, I hope you win, although I think that more dialogue would be better, but that's just me.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Hey I found a good one, I about lost hope there for a while. Amusing and not too long, not awesome acting but still good enough. You have my vote

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
Hahaha, actually quite funny. While it took a bit too long to actually get to where you were going with it, I'm really liking the idea so far. Good work!

Angrypudding

Dec 11, 2009
The orange tip on your gun gives away its airsoft. Want to see a bit more effort. Whats the storyline? Why do they need a hard drive? Whats on the hard drive?

MadeinHell

Jun 18, 2009
Could be much much shorter. You could skip the nonsense running part and focus on crossing the street. Also you talked too much. This could have been a funny video that would take little over a minute. But it's just too long and the punchline, while funny is not paying off for all that waiting.

lookingforloper

Dec 11, 2009
ummmm....it seems like the point of this contest is to create an idea for a show...where would this one go? not a bad little funny video, but we get the joke, albeit too long in development. how does this become a series?

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
Mr. Blond said:
i really liked watching you run for half the video...awesome
Same, but it would have been funnier if they stopped and slowed down like you do in Modern Warfare if you run for too long.

Quite funny though. Could have had more laughs but was a good start.

DRMaddock

Nov 23, 2009
The idea of the series is people who try to use game skills in real life. Regardless of whether we win or not, the next episode we're going to do will probably be a Trauma Center one. The series will focus on different genre's of games each week, rather than focus on a single plot. I know the running in was long :( We had a lot of footage edited down to not much film, so we layered in some of the different shots we had to build that up. Then we blew up a Humvee to make it a bit more fun. Thanks to all the people who like it, and thanks for the criticism to everyone who didn't. We'll take that into consideration when if we do another one.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
That was a very funny episode, but I'm not sure if the idea could work over a series. I mean, it is pretty much based entirely on one joke, and that may go stale after about 10 or so episodes if not sooner. That's my only worry with this show, though.

MasterSplinter

Jul 8, 2009
But, once you identify witch game "fantastic impossible thing" it is making reference then you already know the joke, far sooner than the punchline part. Maybe that was the reason for the extended running "scene", to build up some tension before the gamers knew exactly what "fantastic impossible thing" they where going to use.

Maybe if you take out all of the gaming language it would work on non gamers, but come on this the escapist.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
lookingforloper said:
ummmm....it seems like the point of this contest is to create an idea for a show...where would this one go? not a bad little funny video, but we get the joke, albeit too long in development. how does this become a series?
i was wondering the exact same thing, unless it took different video game memes(for lack of a better term) i suppose and did the same thing, but i suspect even that would not have enough longevity

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
This reminds me a lot of PurePwnage. With a bit of practice and poshish this could be a great series! Im just thinking of future sketchs.. you did the loads of guys (no respawn) gag, maybe a "il bounce this frag so perfectly it will hit the target with style", "of course we will fit through there!" or "Dude that a ramp! Break!" plenty of "i did it in a video game once" classics to run with!

Got my vote!

SirJ

Dec 11, 2009
Nice, the knife joke made me chuckle, well done. Good effects too.

Kinda of agree that it might not have a huge longevity in it, I actually thought this clip alone was a little long, but otherwise nicely done.