The Escapist Film Festival 2009: But I Did It in a Videogame

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
judging voice: could use better pacing, and what else could be done with the core concept? didn't show

me: hahaa nice with the knife joke, almost expected you to stick a little mirror to it with some chewing gum x)

dinosaur_bert

Dec 12, 2009
Very good! One of the only two entries I've seen that I actually enjoyed and would like to see go further!
The acting was a bit off, but nothing too bad, and the camera quality could have been better, but I assume with funding, it'll be much better in the future. This was highly original, and really could go places in the future, and you will be recieving my vote for today =]

niboswald

Dec 11, 2009
Funny one-joke film, okay filming and good editing with effects, but can see no longevity to this as a series. It was a one-off skit.

Foxtrotarmy

Dec 11, 2009
Hey guys, I did the editing on the video and provided the grinning idiot in the digital BDUs, and I'd like to say that no one's been more critical on this thing than me on myself, and I highly appreciate all the comments, critical and praiseworthy. It was fun to make, fun to edit, and is indescribably rewarding to hear your guys' thoughts on it, even the negative ones, because that still reminds me that we finished it and got it published. I'm sure we'll make more and hopefully we can really take what you guys have pointed out to us here and make it even better.

I personally extend a thank you to everyone who has taken the time to comment on our video!

Imper1um

May 21, 2008
Although the concept is something that has been juggled around Youtube for quite some time, it's good to see someone taking the initiative to come up with a Series that could actually go somewhere. You will get my vote today.

I do have some qualifiers that you should work on, should you win.

- I would get to the point a little faster. Running for half the video provided context to only those that have played Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 for days on end (like myself). If anything, you could have done quick 'snipit' clips like Robot Chicken.
- If you're going to go for a game, make sure you dress appropriately for all those on-screen. The non-marine guy was cool and all, but he needed to be in some kind of fatigues.
- On running shots, try to keep the players on-frame as much as possible.
- Under NO Circumstances are you to attempt the 'flip' camera idea again. It's not cool, it's annoying.

lodo_bear

Nov 15, 2009
I liked it, but the premise for the series holds much more promise than the video shows. Here are some things you might try:

- The Mario games. Imagine if you had the power to jump 10 feet in the air and kill people by stomping on them, and the only way you had to open boxes was by getting underneath them and headbutting them. A short joke, but a very visual one that would make a great one-time gag.

- Quake, for one reason: rocket-jumping.

- JRPGs. The Japanese love cliches, and so do I, but I also love mocking cliches. Consult The Grand List Of Console Role Playing Game Clichés [http://project-apollo.net/text/rpg.html] for inspiration.

- MMORPGs. You could make an entire video of yourselves running around and conducting menial tasks. You'd need some trick to make us watch all the way through, but I think you can come up with something, and the MMORPGs could use a good ribbing for all the boring stuff you have to do.

- Duckhunt. Respect the classics.

Find a good balance between breaking down the cliches (having the characters try to act like videogame characters and fail in a humorous manner) and propping up cliches (having the characters try to act like videogame characters and succeed in a humorous manner). I don't think you'll make The Escapist, but I hope you get a chance to make a series somewhere. Good luck!

DRMaddock

Nov 23, 2009
Imper1um said:
- Under NO Circumstances are you to attempt the 'flip' camera idea again. It's not cool, it's annoying.
We probably won't. Our camerawoman accidentally got her feet in the shot which resulted in hours of foxtrot screaming at his computer attempting to make them go away.

As we learned though, when lost in Final Cut, the answer is always zoom.

Bonecrusher

Nov 20, 2009
interesting idea and interesting explosion effects.
acting and editing is not bad.
but i think the video is a bit detailless.
you could add more details, for example while they were on the door, i expected the enemies inside the room shoot outside.
or some wounds or dirt on the faces of the actors.
details small or big can affect the quality of the result.

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
The one in the hood doesn't exact act so well, not sure if it was done intentionally that way, but if you guys were seriously trying to act good then you didn't really do a good job. But since this is a comedy perhaps it doesn't matter so much, still I believe it would be better if it seemed like you two were acting like if it was a real battle.