The Escapist Film Festival 2009: The Geek Speaks: A Wiiview

Doomhammer828

Oct 24, 2008
The Geek Speaks: A Wiiview

Chris Withers does a review of several wii sequel titles and asks what happened to jp?

Watch Video

Doomhammer828

Oct 24, 2008
Yeah, i have interesting plans for it if it goes series but i figured that i should stick to basic comedic appeal first and build up an audience before experimenting. Sorry if it wasn't that great though >_<

10BIT

Sep 14, 2008
I found this rant to be horrid because:

1) Lack of substance in arguments. You kept repeating points without giving any evidence, e.g. you keep stating that the controls are shit, so explain how they let you down so much; the levels were unimaginative? Explain what features kept the previous titles feeling fresh that didn't appear/work in this iteration of Mario Kart; etc.

2) Lack of knowledge in arguments. This is mainly aimed towards the "wii is bad cos it's different" claim because it was the only one that I noted you giving any reasoning behind. The reason you gave was that the main audience is made up of 'old gamers' and that 'old gamers' don't like change (what exactly do you mean when you say 'old gamers' anyway?). I'm surprised that there is someone here who doesn't know that wii gamers are predominantly casual (well... all systems have predominantly casual players but the ratio on the wii is far more extreme). Also, what makes you believe that 'old gamers' don't want change? I've been playing since I learned how to press a button yet I'm always looking out for games that try to break the mold.

3) The wii is awesome! While I do have bias towards the wii, all the problems you stated, i.e. controls, I've never had a problem with making me start to believe I'm one of the few that has acquired a non-defective wii. I've found the wii controls to be the closest to pc in terms of precision that I have ever used. Whilst I have yet to play SSX Blur, I know quite a few people that have and they say that the controls are a vast improvement, so I choose their word to be more reliable than yours.

4) Wii bashing is old. The wii is at least one of the most bashed items on the escapist and I have yet to see someone make a compelling argument against it. You are even competing against Ben Croshaw who, as I'm sure you are fully aware, has a rather large following in this style of 'reviewing' and takes any reasonable opportunity to tell people how he hates the wii.

5) I dislike negative rants. Just a personal preference, but I'd prefer it if you'd focus on something you liked rather than something you didn't. Reviews are better if you look at both the good and the bad wherever possible.

6) Where's the funny? Although I don't care about this much, you did label it as a comedy in your previous post and at no point did I notice anything resembling a joke, unless the "What happened to JP" was the light hearted bit but I found that annoying. Maybe I needed to have played SSX before, but you do have to realise that most of the audience won't have a clue what you're on about unless you explain it to them. If you do try to explain though, make sure it doesn't ruin the flow or become obtrusive to those who do know what you're on about.

I hope I haven't dissuaded you at all from continuing to do these, I just want to say you have a lot to do before I can see them as being good.

VMareens

Dec 2, 2009
Man, your comments are very nice compared to ours. Anyways...

Granted this has been done in the past but I really gotta give you credit for putting this together putting it up. Its funny how 80% of those on the internet run around either bashing or praising content people put up while about the other 20% activly produce it.

Here are my thoughts.

Work on your voice, try not to keep it at such a monotone. Adding some activity to it will make a world of difference.

Maybe try to increase the quality of the video a little bit.

Read up on some jokes or write down some one liners to reference while you speak. You write fanfiction, right? Come up with some ideas for phrases and keep them on hand.

Like you, I have many other things I create other than videos, you multitasking between fan fictions and reviews. Its good to see you put this up here.

Keep producing! The skills you gain from it are priceless.

Dr.Horrible13

Dec 5, 2009
Mr. Blond said:
the best rant vid i've seen so far but it's been done
...little humor jp heh but you are right about mario kart and mario party 8 but what makes it different than zero punctuation is that you talk slower and you talked about the wii and some games we kinda dont need another though...

reese522

Sep 3, 2009
I liked your rant and the choice of images to get your message across. It's very similar to Movie Bob. With that all said, I don't think another game reviewer is needed on The Escapist and I think people would rather see a web series. If you upload new episodes on youtube I'll watch them because this video was as enjoyable as watching Movie Bob.

Good luck to ya.

Doomhammer828

Oct 24, 2008
Like i said in the above post, my family said i should build up an audience first so i did something generic but funny.

My first idea for this video was actually an anime review video but i couldn't get my buddies on board and i hadn't seen any of the new recent series. And then before i could bat an eye it was december.

My second idea was actually a preview on Dante's inferno but that fell through because the demo wasn't released quick enough.

LinedGoat

Nov 23, 2009
saikanoto said:
I found this rant to be horrid because:

1) Lack of substance in arguments. You kept repeating points without giving any evidence, e.g. you keep stating that the controls are shit, so explain how they let you down so much; the levels were unimaginative? Explain what features kept the previous titles feeling fresh that didn't appear/work in this iteration of Mario Kart; etc.

2) Lack of knowledge in arguments. This is mainly aimed towards the "wii is bad cos it's different" claim because it was the only one that I noted you giving any reasoning behind. The reason you gave was that the main audience is made up of 'old gamers' and that 'old gamers' don't like change (what exactly do you mean when you say 'old gamers' anyway?). I'm surprised that there is someone here who doesn't know that wii gamers are predominantly casual (well... all systems have predominantly casual players but the ratio on the wii is far more extreme). Also, what makes you believe that 'old gamers' don't want change? I've been playing since I learned how to press a button yet I'm always looking out for games that try to break the mold.

3) The wii is awesome! While I do have bias towards the wii, all the problems you stated, i.e. controls, I've never had a problem with making me start to believe I'm one of the few that has acquired a non-defective wii. I've found the wii controls to be the closest to pc in terms of precision that I have ever used. Whilst I have yet to play SSX Blur, I know quite a few people that have and they say that the controls are a vast improvement, so I choose their word to be more reliable than yours.

4) Wii bashing is old. The wii is at least one of the most bashed items on the escapist and I have yet to see someone make a compelling argument against it. You are even competing against Ben Croshaw who, as I'm sure you are fully aware, has a rather large following in this style of 'reviewing' and takes any reasonable opportunity to tell people how he hates the wii.

5) I dislike negative rants. Just a personal preference, but I'd prefer it if you'd focus on something you liked rather than something you didn't. Reviews are better if you look at both the good and the bad wherever possible.

6) Where's the funny? Although I don't care about this much, you did label it as a comedy in your previous post and at no point did I notice anything resembling a joke, unless the "What happened to JP" was the light hearted bit but I found that annoying. Maybe I needed to have played SSX before, but you do have to realise that most of the audience won't have a clue what you're on about unless you explain it to them. If you do try to explain though, make sure it doesn't ruin the flow or become obtrusive to those who do know what you're on about.

I hope I haven't dissuaded you at all from continuing to do these, I just want to say you have a lot to do before I can see them as being good.
Personally I don't really understand a thing that you're ranting on about. I found this as enjoyable as Yahtzee if not possibly even more (I kind of liked the slow talking). And to notice the comedy you'll need to understand this kind of comedy, which is pretty logical when you think of it. I love Wii-remote ranting because it's so true, I personally hate the Wii-remote and all it features (except on 'New Super Mario brothers'). And knowing that both Microsoft and Sony are working on something that could be described as 'a twist on the Wii-remote' doesn't make anything better. And the lack of substance in the arguments is understandable as the video makes better use of itself as short, and continuing the arguments would take the video way off-topic at some point and would extend the video to pure boredom.