The Escapist Film Festival 2010: Lamer

HankVenture

Nov 3, 2010
JongWooKimX9 said:
What do you shoot/edit on? We used an HV20 and edited on ULEAD MediaStudio Pro, which I think is some kind of relic from the Triassic.
That is the source of a lot of your frustration when it comes to using overlays. Ulead Mediastudio Pro's last version was 8.1 which had a service pack released back in June of 2006. It doesn't have support for a small chunk of, now important, filetypes like .png, .aac, h.264, and so on. The reason for a lot of the hard edges on the effects in your video stems from not being able to use images/image sequences that have native transparency built in. Not being able to use .png alone can be pretty crippling.

For visual effects I suggest a program like Adobe After Effects. It's pretty streamlined and easy to use. If you have people who are also working on the project with you and they have After Effects, you can send them project file and all they have to do is load up the project file and they have all the same effects and settings you do.

Paul Hearding

Creator of Pro-gamer Gauntlet
Oct 1, 2010
JongWooKimX9 said:
What do you shoot/edit on? We used an HV20 and edited on ULEAD MediaStudio Pro, which I think is some kind of relic from the Triassic.
I shoot on a DSLR believe it or not. I do a lot of photography too and just don't have the money to do both photo and video. I've learned a few tricks to make it look quite professional. If you like photography and want to pursue video as well, I think it's a good direction to consider. As far as the editing software, I use Final Cut. I would recommend either Final Cut or Adobe Premier and After Effects. You may be right on the dating of ULEAD haha.

JongWooKimX9 said:
I like PGG! I definitely know what you're talking about with the HUD -- much smoother interface, still easy to see. How did you overlay them without any pixel
You're on the right track with chroma keying images, but the key is to add a smoothing filter to the outside edges of the image. Also, something like adding a drop shadow can really help make it look like part of a HUD and not just an image overlay.

As far as stabilization goes, I'd recommend making your own poor man's steady cam. Basically anything that is long and heavy that you can mount your camera to will really help the stabilization. If you have a tripod, experiment with filming while carrying the camera mounted on a tripod. You should see marked improvements just from that little innovation. On top of that, you can run down to the home depot and make a pretty legit steady cam out of about $18 worth of galvanized steel pipes. I currently have one that I have even added a 2.5 pound weight to the other end of to get even steadier shots. Surprisingly simple and effective.

JongWooKimX9 said:

Also, what part of Maryland are you from? An ex- of mine is from Hagerstown, MD, so I got to visit the state once. My family's also in the DC area.
I am from the Annapolis area. Hagerstown is about 2 hours west of me.

Swishdude

Nov 21, 2009
I liked the idea a lot.

I laughed hard when he punched a hole through the door. It was just so sudden!

HomeFridayKnights

Oct 29, 2010
Thank you for your support guys. Please keep passing on word of our vid as we're on page three and not likely to get seen by the casual viewer. You all rock!

cro247

Nov 7, 2010
Maniac Laugh! Hard punch! Date montage! Loved it! Especially the cute actor with the glasses :)