The Escapist Film Festival 2010: Pro-gamer Gauntlet: Demo

NinjaTigerXIII

Apr 21, 2010
You guys have something here, I love the concept, I love the characters, and I really think I am going to love the story, good luck guys I'm pulling for you!

dubious_wolf

Obfuscated Information
Jun 4, 2009
Paul Hearding said:
dubious_wolf said:
Yep I like It. I thought the over the top acting was pretty fantastic. FPS master needs to NOT be dressed as Laura Croft however. That was the only problem I had.
Haha. Knew the Croft comment was coming! That will be addressed in episode 1. You'll see.

I do not play a character in the series. I am the writer/director/editor.
Ha ha i mean I see what you did there, I just think there has to be some other female FPS main char.... I'm going to just stop there actually... lol
all sexists jokes aside it'd be funny to see a scenario where some upstart videogame player is trying to earn "badges" by running the "gauntlet" only for the Masters to find out they are the antagonists! shocking twist and a spoof on pokemon, at the same time!

Tower 87

Oct 14, 2010
Great Proof of concept! Good framework for a series, ticked all the boxes on what to expect along the road. Retro master IMHO is what held it up for me, great comic timing and pacing. The rest felt a little flat in comparison. The only other thing that bugged me was the disjointed game world/real world overlay, there wasn't any real motivation for there to be an overlap of game world as far as the narrative went. were they teaching people how to play games or game characters how to live in a game world? Its just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt. Good Luck guys and great job

Artorius

Mar 18, 2009
Great entry..acting was over the top..
not to mention Hats off to the "retro master" :)..

i sincerely hope you guys win :)

DyeDoe

Nov 3, 2010
Awesome Job, laughed the whole way through! Good pace with the jokes and it was really witty. Would love to see more :)

weaponhead7

Aug 5, 2009
Of the entries I've watched I see this as the one that could best bear a viable series, keep the content fresh and entertaining I mean. Pretty solid stuff, I liked it a lot.

Paul Hearding

Creator of Pro-gamer Gauntlet
Oct 1, 2010
Thanks to everyone for the support and feedback!

The Josh said:
Anyway, if we're beaten, hope it's by this show.
(... And that I get a future voice-over role...)
Thanks Josh. I'd totally be down with throwing out cameos to the community. I fully believe that community interaction is what makes a project like this even more fun.

Also, I'd just like to throw out that none of us have professional training or schooling (I, myself, am a math major). So, any flaws that you guys are picking up on will be ironed out with experience and practice.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
Excellent work, I would definitely keep watching this. The concept is very original, you've got plenty of potential characters. The clips you showed of the masters at work were funny and well-done, and showed plenty of potential. I'd love to see this become a whole series.

NotSoNimble

Aug 10, 2010
Lara Croft as FPS Master? Do you guys even play video games?

Epic Fail

You should have explained it in this episode.

Paul Hearding

Oct 1, 2010
NotSoNimble said:

You can't tell we play video games from the rest of the video? Haha.

Plus, I'm sure if you think about it, you'll get the joke. She's Croft and placed in the FPS Master role on purpose. There are several reasons for this choice and they will become evident with time.

If you didn't/don't get the joke, I apologize. But, Retro did offer up an explanation in the 5-minute trailer, saying that she'd be the "girl in the short shorts."

I felt that was sufficient explanation for now as I only had five precious minutes to convey much bigger things like what the business does, what the direction of the show was, etc. Also, dubious_wolf definitely seems to be on the right track from earlier in this thread...

NotSoNimble

Aug 10, 2010
Paul Hearding said:
NotSoNimble said:

You can't tell we play video games from the rest of the video? Haha.

Plus, I'm sure if you think about it, you'll get the joke. She's Croft and placed in the FPS Master role on purpose. There are several reasons for this choice and they will become evident with time.

If you didn't/don't get the joke, I apologize. But, Retro did offer up an explanation in the 5-minute trailer, saying that she'd be the "girl in the short shorts."

I felt that was sufficient explanation for now as I only had five precious minutes to convey much bigger things like what the business does, what the direction of the show was, etc. Also, dubious_wolf definitely seems to be on the right track from earlier in this thread...
Yeah, I'm slow, and I still don't get it. Joanna Dark is the only other female fps character I can think of, she doesn't wear short shorts. Samus might be considered, but again no short shorts...

My head hurts trying to think about this!!!

I will watch more. Thanks for the reply.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
It's a sound concept and some of the graphics are pretty cool, but the acting is definitely overacting...

Paul Hearding

Oct 1, 2010
Ok, so I'd like to clarify something about the "overacting" for everyone out there who is watching our video. Where this is most prevalent is in the first scene where Retro opens the door. He seems like he's reading off of a script right? Almost like a forced smile and statement? Well that's exactly what we were going for. The company is requiring him to greet all potential customers with those lines, hence why they sound very awkward and forced. If you look in the bottom-right corner of the shots that show Croft, you can see papers in his hand. This is indeed the company script that they are forcing him to read. it was a joke that we were originally going to explain, but we ended up dropping it to cut everything down to 5-minutes (we had to cut out quite a bit of other stuff too).

So, for anyone turned off by the "overacting," have no fear! A more accurate portrayal of the Retro Master is in the "unlock the full version" screen when he says,
"I'm going to keep this professional, I'm not going to name names, but we've had some reports of customer abuse."

The whole point of this trailer was to show how goofy/crazy these people really are (not to mention disconnected from most people's concept of reality). If you enjoyed the concept and the editing, then you'll definitely like the show (especially when you see all 11 characters working/living together).

Thanks to everyone who has given us feedback so far! Keep the feedback coming!

asiansim

Nov 4, 2010
Yeah, I was made aware of this by a friend, I really enjoyed it! I look forward to meeting the rest of the cast, Racing Guy looked like a badass/douchebag, I hope he is kind of a big deal. Retro was good, I loved his attitude, I can really get behind this, awesome sauce man! Dislike the FPS outfit though... Cliche.

Dan E

Jun 16, 2010
I forget the name of the...oh wait platform master i believe. Love the Assassins creed \sort of mirrors edge parkour action. Also when he says the line about being patched frickin awesome.