The Escapist Film Festival 2010: Twisted Trailers - Devil May Cry 4

TwistedTrailers

Oct 29, 2010
Twisted Trailers - Devil May Cry 4

A Twisted Trailers re-imagining of Devil May Cry 4. Cowboy hats optional.

Watch Video

Moon_Called

Mar 21, 2009
Huh. I'm impressed with how tasteful that was. When I realized this would be a bunch of gay jokes, but I really enjoyed this. It'd be a very interesting story to see continued even outside trailer format. Seeing from this it looks like you'd be really good at doing this.

Great work and good luck. =3

Paul Hearding

Creator of Pro-gamer Gauntlet
Oct 1, 2010
I've always liked recuts of trailers and it seems like you've got the ability to pull them off quite well.

Suggestion: make the text bigger.

If you continued this as a series, would you simply recut trailers/cutscenes from different video games or do you have something else in mind too? With your talent, I'm sure you could make some pretty epic ones.

TwistedTrailers

Oct 29, 2010
Thanks to all for the feedback! It's really appreciated.

randommaster said:
This was pretty good. Nice use of audio clips, too. I'd really like to see more of these.
Thanks! Vote and hopefully more to come :p

Moon_Called said:
Huh. I'm impressed with how tasteful that was. When I realized this would be a bunch of gay jokes, but I really enjoyed this. It'd be a very interesting story to see continued even outside trailer format. Seeing from this it looks like you'd be really good at doing this.

We did work hard to make this tasteful, the idea was never to make it just gay jokes, but more of a surreal look at how it could be with a few of our alterations. Hopefully once we get microphones we'll be able to include more varied content. Cheers.

Paul Hearding said:
I've always liked recuts of trailers and it seems like you've got the ability to pull them off quite well.

Suggestion: make the text bigger.

If you continued this as a series, would you simply recut trailers/cutscenes from different video games or do you have something else in mind too? With your talent, I'm sure you could make some pretty epic ones.
You are right about the text, perhaps the only thing I can say in our defense is that the original file runs in full-screen 720p so we never had much trouble with it, but yeah, we should have taken the smaller screen size and compression into account.

As to your question, the overall idea of Twisted Trailers is to take a game and create a somewhat ludicrous 'alternate' version, but during production we realised two major issues:

1. We had no microphone
2. We had no capture card

So the eventual footage was created purely from the game cut scenes we found online. In the future we'll have both these tools to allow us to select the games we want to parody, and the microphones will obviously allow us to make the jokes we want to make, not just that the game dialogue will allow.

So, to stop my babbling, the basic idea is yes, that it would be recut footage from games, but in a much more flexible format. For example, an idea we are toying with is a mock-serious trailer shown to actual soldiers for Modern Warfare 1/2 as if it's a combat simulator.

Anyhoo, you get the idea. Thanks again for the feedback!

Moon_Called

Mar 21, 2009
TwistedTrailers said:
Moon_Called said:

We did work hard to make this tasteful, the idea was never to make it just gay jokes, but more of a surreal look at how it could be with a few of our alterations. Hopefully once we get microphones we'll be able to include more varied content. Cheers.
Whoops, made a massive typo there. Should read "When I realized where you were going, I thought this would be just be a bunch of gay jokes, but..."

Do be careful with the microphone idea. We've already got Unskipable.

TwistedTrailers

Oct 29, 2010
Moon_Called said:
TwistedTrailers said:
Moon_Called said:

Whoops, made a massive typo there. Should read "When I realized where you were going, I thought this would be just be a bunch of gay jokes, but..."

Do be careful with the microphone idea. We've already got Unskipable.
No worries, while we love Unskippable we certainly aren't looking to imitate it's technique. We're more about creating a new idea out of the game footage, not make fun of the cutscenes.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
TwistedTrailers said:
Perwsonally, I think it would be beter if only the material that was in the game was used. It's usually pretty obvious when stuff is inserted and that makes it less "realistic". It's hard to really define that, but if, for example, you had put your own dialogue in this video, it becomes less funny because you're inserting new material instead of using what people have already seen from the game.

I'm sorry if I'm confusing you, but basically I'm just saying you should stick to material from the game. Of course, that's just my opinion.

TwistedTrailers

Oct 29, 2010
randommaster said:
TwistedTrailers said:
Perwsonally, I think it would be beter if only the material that was in the game was used. It's usually pretty obvious when stuff is inserted and that makes it less "realistic". It's hard to really define that, but if, for example, you had put your own dialogue in this video, it becomes less funny because you're inserting new material instead of using what people have already seen from the game.

I'm sorry if I'm confusing you, but basically I'm just saying you should stick to material from the game. Of course, that's just my opinion.
I do get what you mean, and it is a valid idea. I suppose I can't really explain the way we'd be using the microphone, but rest assured we are sensitive the the point you are making, and extra stuff would be inserted only when absolutely necessary. Even if we don't win we'll probably produce a few more, just to show you what we have planned. Anyway, thanks for the comment and the view!