The escapist is mentioned in a Penny Arcade comic

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I laughed.

The punch line's not that hard to figure out. Gabe and Tycho feel pressured to make a statement about LulzSec's hacking activities, but they're reluctant to bring it up lest they get hacked themselves.

It's like the mafia in the 30's and 40's. People knew they were up to no good, but they didn't dare go after them because of the shit they would unleash on you.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
The comic was alright.

I visit PA regularly because it's available... regularly.

One of their big sells they've followed through on since the beginning is putting out a new comic every Mon/Wed/Fri (and sometimes or maybe always weekends now).

So I realize you can't come up with comedy gold every time. A lot of the comics are mediocre. But the combination of there always being something at the expected time, and some of their stuff being gold gets me, and apparently a lot of others, coming back.

My least favorite part is when Tycho gets preachy with extended diction.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I think PS is pretty boring, it's not like I have given it enough chances ... about 50 or 60 "comics" have been gone over but biggest reaction that spews forth is a "heh" but even that is a rare occurrence.

I mean I get the jokes but they don't make me laugh.

The Heik

King of the Nael
Oct 12, 2008
Xzi said:
Escapist was DDOS'd by LulzSec for most of a day and was inaccessible because of it. You shouldn't need much more explanation than that.
Wait WHAT?!

Ok, when did this happen, and how did I somehow miss it?

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
Yeah, we got Lulzsec DDOS'd us after they were mentioned in a few articles. Though I really don't think they did it because they didn't want to be talked about(quite the opposite), that's what the comic is about. It's fairly humorous though again not entirely accurate as Lulzsec didn't do any real damage to the Escapist nor did it seem to be at all bothered by getting more attention from internet media.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
I've discovered 3 things from this topic.

1. The Escapist was attacked by Lulzsec (fuckers). Frankly that just makes me more convinced that they need a good old fashioned e-asskicking.
2. Other people on the Escapist read Penny Arcade
3. The people that don't like Penny Arcade here seem to have some of the flat-out weirdest reasons for disliking it I've ever seen.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
paynexkiller said:
I don't remember crying to Penny Arcade for help :(
We didn't. That's not the point. The point is:

Penny Arcade: "Gee! We should do a strip on LulzSec and their hacking!"

Escapist: "AAAAAAUGH ARGLBRLARGL *dies*"

Penny Arcade: "... Maybe not."

It was a meta-joke saying that they WOULD do a strip on LulzSec, except then they'd end up like Escapist Magazine, so they won't, but in the process of saying they won't, they did. Simply put, Penny Arcade has balls.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
artanis_neravar said:
Broady Brio said:
I don't get it.

I've never read a Penny Arcade comic. And now it's put me off forever. Seriously, only 3 boxes?
What's wrong with just 3 boxes? Seriously it put you off because it only has 3 boxes? That is how you judge quality, buy quantity?
Katana314 said:
artanis_neravar said:
Broady Brio said:
I don't get it.

I've never read a Penny Arcade comic. And now it's put me off forever. Seriously, only 3 boxes?
What's wrong with just 3 boxes? Seriously it put you off because it only has 3 boxes? That is how you judge quality, buy quantity?
To be honest, I sometimes feel like they miss out on a bit of proper pausing or change of expressions with only 3 panels. It's like, someone's mood swings from ambivalent to furious in one panel, and they can only draw him with one expression in that panel. They can also never have panels in which no one says anything (to pause for effect)
Dude, it's like a newspaper strip. The point is to do a quick, one-off joke. We're not talking about a comic book or anything here. I quite enjoy how Penny Arcade manages to get a lot across while using very little.

Ziggy the wolf

May 26, 2009
hmm arighty escapist is working idc about lulzsec they dont have anything better to do the show their butthurtness about ONE WEBSITE doesnt like them. im a furry with a Furaffinty account, DDOS happens enough where im meh about it

Mr.Petey

Dec 23, 2009
Meh Penny Arcade's brand of humour always felt a bit too hardcore to me i.e you have to play some games extensively to understand the joke behind and because of that, the punchline can be abit too hit or miss really.

This mix of everyday random stuff, plus the odd game reference shown in this series is more my cup of tea:
http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/

But this strip...it's just nothing special really. We made our views that lulzsec were more useless than a chocolate teapot carrying molten lead being taken through the tropics. And I'll stand by the negative opinions of them that we've shared.

Optional Opinion

Dec 29, 2008
Zechnophobe said:
For those of you who need help understanding, in the first panel they are noting that normally they talk about things like this.

In the second we have an allegorical scenario where 'the escapist' is getting beat up in an alley, and they are given the option to help or not.

In the last panel they choose to be cowards because they are scared of the bullies in the alley.

The humour is that as reputable as they may seem, they are apparently still afraid of .. those hackers.
Are you sure?

I got the impression the joke was to do with the "insightful articles" comment and them walking off/ ignoring it.

Leoofmoon

Aug 14, 2008
Neverhoodian said:
I laughed.

The punch line's not that hard to figure out. Gabe and Tycho feel pressured to make a statement about LulzSec's hacking activities, but they're reluctant to bring it up lest they get hacked themselves.

It's like the mafia in the 30's and 40's. People knew they were up to no good, but they didn't dare go after them because of the shit they would unleash on you.
also there a fact thats most of the hackers now seam to think they have a moral high ground when they hack someone

Sudenak

Mar 31, 2011
InterAirplay said:
Yeah, sure, then the raging cockstoppers have won.

Fuck those guys.
-facepalm-

You do know that's the exact same justification used for all sorts of idiocy related to terrorism, right?

They're in it for the lulz. You fuel their lulz by throwing tantrums and calling them meanie-pants names. Ergo, if you ignore them, they don't mess with you and they don't get what they want. Which is attention.

They win by you acting like this. Ignore them. Unless you secretly enjoy the lulz.

Parivir

Jul 20, 2009
GeorgW said:
Yeah, I saw it already, it's on my feeder. It was funny. One of my favourite (don't really like PA).
Discussion value?
It's fun for people to feel like they're a part of something. I know last week when all the haxxorz stuff happened I was like "zomg I work there! But shhhh!"

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
The joke is that this comic is itself a criticism of LulzSec (pretending to be a "no comment" statement). Unless we're supposed to feel sympathetic to bloody thugs.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Well, I guess this means I had a cameo in a Penny Arcade comic.

This is going right up there with when I became TIME magazine's person of the year.

Mar 28, 2011
artanis_neravar said:
AC10 said:
I don't understand the comic.
Did we get in trouble for talking about hacks?
we got hacked for all of the negative views on lulzsec
Getting hacked for negative views on said hackers just reeks of insecurity.
I don't punch everyone who calls me fat. (Which I am, and proudly so. I'm fat because i'm happy with myself.)

So when a hacker hears that people have a problem with thier methods, they hack the complainers?

That's just petty and pathetic.