The escapist is mentioned in a Penny Arcade comic

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
15,305
0
0
Katana314 said:
artanis_neravar said:
Broady Brio said:
I don't get it.

I've never read a Penny Arcade comic. And now it's put me off forever. Seriously, only 3 boxes?
What's wrong with just 3 boxes? Seriously it put you off because it only has 3 boxes? That is how you judge quality, buy quantity?
To be honest, I sometimes feel like they miss out on a bit of proper pausing or change of expressions with only 3 panels. It's like, someone's mood swings from ambivalent to furious in one panel, and they can only draw him with one expression in that panel. They can also never have panels in which no one says anything (to pause for effect)
PA's dialogue is superb and it's timing is fantastic despite the limited space they work with. I think your problem is you're attempting to read PA as a comic rather than a comic strip.
 

Sudenak

New member
Mar 31, 2011
237
0
0
InterAirplay said:
Fair enough. I suppose I may as well shut up too, since I'm not actually going to go out and fight lulzsec. how the fuck would one even do that?
Find a way to trace where they are posting updates to twitter from, call in the FBI. xP Of course, I am nowhere near good at anything relating to anything that isn't art related or game related, so unless that skill set can help there is fuck all I can do.
 

DSVella

New member
Feb 11, 2009
6
0
0
Zechnophobe said:
For those of you who need help understanding, in the first panel they are noting that normally they talk about things like this.

In the second we have an allegorical scenario where 'the escapist' is getting beat up in an alley, and they are given the option to help or not.

In the last panel they choose to be cowards because they are scared of the bullies in the alley.

The humour is that as reputable as they may seem, they are apparantly still afraid of .. those hackers.
For the love of god, THANK YOU.

That comic flew so far over my head as I felt like a complete idiot.

I like Penny Arcade, I do, however I found that to be a good example of their worst work.
 

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
4,701
0
0
lacktheknack said:
paynexkiller said:
I don't remember crying to Penny Arcade for help :(
We didn't. That's not the point. The point is:

Penny Arcade: "Gee! We should do a strip on LulzSec and their hacking!"

Escapist: "AAAAAAUGH ARGLBRLARGL *dies*"

Penny Arcade: "... Maybe not."

It was a meta-joke saying that they WOULD do a strip on LulzSec, except then they'd end up like Escapist Magazine, so they won't, but in the process of saying they won't, they did. Simply put, Penny Arcade has balls.
Finally. I didn't think it was that hard to understand. Apparently, looking at this thread, it is.
OP: Quite funny. I love Penny Arcade. This strip was no different.
 

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
Aug 9, 2020
2,315
1
43
Country
United States
Sudenak said:
Imp Emissary said:
Sudenak said:
Pretty much what I thought of it, really. Although what's funnier is all of the people who continue to post about Lulzsec, gaining large numbers of inflammatory responses that were right on par with the reason why they DDOS'd us in the first place.

It's smarter to just say nothing. Especially when a group is out for the lulz.
No! We shouldn't be cowards! We should voice what we feel about any topic we want. Not saying what you think because some jerks with nothing better to do than be @$$holes only gives them power over you, and that would be allowing censorship! Lulzsec is not in this for the "lulz", no matter what they say. They are in it for the attention given to those who cause a problem, and to ruin other people's fun.

If they really wanted to do something entertaining, and for the "greater good", then they would do things like what that Bitish government run hacker group did a little while ago. Hack a terrorist website, and replace their bomb making instructions with a cupcake recipe.

That is what I think "for the lulz" is about. Lulzsec is behaving more like terrorists and thieves than what they say they are. Don't give into their crap! Do not be intimidated.
Emphasis mine.

Sorry, I just found that funny. You're championing fighting censorship because of fear, yet you censored yourself. Undoubtedly out of fear of moderators, because if you didn't want to use that word you could have used a PG word.

It's not heroic to start farting at someone after they shoot you in the ass for waving your ass at them. You're just being an idiot. I mean, if you think standing there screaming "what a bunch of fucking assholes!" is some God-given right that needs to be defended, fine. But just understand that it's utterly pointless.

It doesn't make Lulzsec stop. It doesn't make anyone feel any better. It's just a childish way to point at the people seeking attention and give them precisely what they want.

It's like the people who teabag in Halo. There's not really that much pleasure to be had in it, and all it does is just piss off the guy you shot.

And for the record, I'm not intimidated. I just never understood the mindset of "if we stop waving our e-peens while wildly screaming out insults, the bad guys win!".

EDIT: And I find it hilarious that you even admitted that they're in it for attention. So, what, me saying to stop giving them attention is wrong? Lolwut?
xD Hahahahaha!

Actually I use @$$holes instead of assholes because I just like the way the former looks better, but you do make a good and admittedly funny point at my expense.

Also I wasn't referring to members of the site just posting on topics that; ">( Man you guys! Lulzsec are such dickholes! God!" What I was taking about was the articles written on the site talking about what they (Lulzsec) has been doing, and I mean really talking about it. Showing both side's point of view, and then writing what they think.

That is what I though you were saying we shouldn't do. Not the whole, "start farting at someone after they shoot you in the ass for waving your ass at them." I agree that such things should not be done.

Also, as for what I said. No, it is not up to the caliber of what the Escapist writers do, but I'm not just calling Lulzsec @$$holes/assholes for no reason. They talk like they're the fighters for fun and freedom, but they go and not let people use a fun site like the Escapist or steal personal information. Thats just not right.

I do wish we didn't hear bout Lulzsec at all really. However, this is a news site (of sorts), and unfortunately Lulzsec being jerks is news. Also, if you would prefer me to say why I don't really care for Lulzsec without "bad words", :) well all you had to do was ask.
:(You didn't have to call me a name...hahaha, just kidding.

I don't like them because they seem to say one thing, and do another that seems to be the type of thing that they are against.

(If I missed any of your points, please just ask me to respond.)

P.S. Why dose written have two t's, but writing only has one?

(Explanation for P.S. question: I hate spelling.)
 

velcrokidneyz

New member
Sep 28, 2010
442
0
0
am I the only person who has never heard of this lulzsec group before the recent hacks? i knew about anon but now i feel out of the loop. anyways i think all this shit is retarded and its just plain annoying now.

EDIT: OT: i love penny arcade:p
 

Sudenak

New member
Mar 31, 2011
237
0
0
Imp Emissary said:
xD Hahahahaha!

Actually I use @$$holes instead of assholes because I just like the way the former looks better, but you do make a good and admittedly funny point at my expense.

Also I wasn't referring to members of the site just posting on topics that; ">( Man you guys! Lulzsec are such dickholes! God!" What I was taking about was the articles written on the site talking about what they (Lulzsec) has been doing, and I mean really talking about it. Showing both side's point of view, and then writing what they think.

That is what I though you were saying we shouldn't do. Not the whole, "start farting at someone after they shoot you in the ass for waving your ass at them." I agree that such things should not be done.

Also, as for what I said. No, it is not up to the caliber of what the Escapist writers do, but I'm not just calling Lulzsec @$$holes/assholes for no reason. They talk like they're the fighters for fun and freedom, but they go and not let people use a fun site like the Escapist or steal personal information. Thats just not right.

I do wish we didn't hear bout Lulzsec at all really. However, this is a news site (of sorts), and unfortunately Lulzsec being jerks is news. Also, if you would prefer me to say why I don't really care for Lulzsec without "bad words", :) well all you had to do was ask.
:(You didn't have to call me a name...hahaha, just kidding.

I don't like them because they seem to say one thing, and do another that seems to be the type of thing that they are against.

(If I missed any of your points, please just ask me to respond.)

P.S. Why dose written have two t's, but writing only has one?

(Explanation for P.S. question: I hate spelling.)
See, the problem with those well thought out articles is that there's a comments section. Thus forth we get a giant pile of youtube-level comments that make me wanna rip my brain out. I like having well thought out discussions about difficult topics, but not when there's a massive pile of brain mush padding it all out.

I'm not calling you childish specifically, either xP I'm broad-brushing the group who tend to wildly rage like a bunch of five year olds whenever Lulzsec is mentioned.

And while it's true that they're just doing mean things, the complete and utter rage spewed out whenever this stuff is even mentioned seems to utterly ignore the most important lesson: every single online company promising that your personal information is safe is utterly lying to you. That's a pretty big issue to deal with. But it's being glossed over because "Lulzsec is mean".

It just feels like the bulk of these excellent news articles are falling apart because the lesson we can glean from them is drowned out by nerd-rage.
 

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
1,743
0
0
velcrokidneyz said:
am I the only person who has never heard of this lulzsec group before the recent hacks? i knew about anon but now i feel out of the loop. anyways i think all this shit is retarded and its just plain annoying now.
LulzSec is new, so of course you hadn't heard of them.
 

Thespian

New member
Sep 11, 2010
1,407
0
0
Heh. Pretty funny. And insightful. Can't blame them, really.

Broady Brio said:
I don't get it.

I've never read a Penny Arcade comic. And now it's put me off forever. Seriously, only 3 boxes?
Y'know, I felt the same, (well not about the 3 boxes thing, concise writing is good) but you really can't get the effect from one comic. Dig through the archives for a while, it's good.
 

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
Aug 9, 2020
2,315
1
43
Country
United States
lacktheknack said:
Imp Emissary said:
P.S. Why dose written have two t's, but writing only has one?

(Explanation for P.S. question: I hate spelling.)
does*

You're welcome.
:) Ha ha ha ha.

>_< You go to hell spelling! You go to Hell and you DIE!!!

:) Not you poster. Spelling itself.

Also, you didn't answer my question. :(
 

TheAceTheOne

New member
Jul 27, 2010
1,106
0
0
artanis_neravar said:
AC10 said:
I don't understand the comic.
Did we get in trouble for talking about hacks?
we got hacked for all of the negative views on lulzsec
On Topic:
TheRightToArmBears said:
It's not hilarious, but I like it. It sort of shows support without actually showing any support. Nice.
Oh so very seconded. That's the vibe I got. Hey, well, Lulzsec are arseholes, regardless of what they claim they are. I'm gonna leave it at that.
 

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
19,316
0
0
Imp Emissary said:
lacktheknack said:
Imp Emissary said:
P.S. Why dose written have two t's, but writing only has one?

(Explanation for P.S. question: I hate spelling.)
does*

You're welcome.
:) Ha ha ha ha.

>_< You go to hell spelling! You go to Hell and you DIE!!!

:) Not you poster. Spelling itself.

Also, you didn't answer my question. :(
I'm not the guy you were talking to, I just popped by to pwn your spelling. He'll answer.
 

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
Aug 9, 2020
2,315
1
43
Country
United States
Sudenak said:
Imp Emissary said:
xD Hahahahaha!

Actually I use @$$holes instead of assholes because I just like the way the former looks better, but you do make a good and admittedly funny point at my expense.

Also I wasn't referring to members of the site just posting on topics that; ">( Man you guys! Lulzsec are such dickholes! God!" What I was taking about was the articles written on the site talking about what they (Lulzsec) has been doing, and I mean really talking about it. Showing both side's point of view, and then writing what they think.

That is what I though you were saying we shouldn't do. Not the whole, "start farting at someone after they shoot you in the ass for waving your ass at them." I agree that such things should not be done.

Also, as for what I said. No, it is not up to the caliber of what the Escapist writers do, but I'm not just calling Lulzsec @$$holes/assholes for no reason. They talk like they're the fighters for fun and freedom, but they go and not let people use a fun site like the Escapist or steal personal information. Thats just not right.

I do wish we didn't hear bout Lulzsec at all really. However, this is a news site (of sorts), and unfortunately Lulzsec being jerks is news. Also, if you would prefer me to say why I don't really care for Lulzsec without "bad words", :) well all you had to do was ask.
:(You didn't have to call me a name...hahaha, just kidding.

I don't like them because they seem to say one thing, and do another that seems to be the type of thing that they are against.

(If I missed any of your points, please just ask me to respond.)

P.S. Why dose written have two t's, but writing only has one?

(Explanation for P.S. question: I hate spelling.)
See, the problem with those well thought out articles is that there's a comments section. Thus forth we get a giant pile of youtube-level comments that make me wanna rip my brain out. I like having well thought out discussions about difficult topics, but not when there's a massive pile of brain mush padding it all out.

I'm not calling you childish specifically, either xP I'm broad-brushing the group who tend to wildly rage like a bunch of five year olds whenever Lulzsec is mentioned.

And while it's true that they're just doing mean things, the complete and utter rage spewed out whenever this stuff is even mentioned seems to utterly ignore the most important lesson: every single online company promising that your personal information is safe is utterly lying to you. That's a pretty big issue to deal with. But it's being glossed over because "Lulzsec is mean".

It just feels like the bulk of these excellent news articles are falling apart because the lesson we can glean from them is drowned out by nerd-rage.
Again, good point. It is sad that the people using the internet to vent can bring down an intellectual conversation. That is the problem with most internet sites that let the users talk. Though, with the rules the Escaspist has we don't see it as often as on other sites. Not that it doesn't happen even with people watching.

You have to say though that it is kind of funny that Lulzsec's actions make everyone talk about how much they hate them instead of what the online companies are doing with our information. Hmmmm....maybe the online companies asked Lulzsec to be jerks so no one pays any attention to what they do with our info?

(Disclaimer: I know that theory is bunk, but it makes more since then whats going on right now.)