The escapist is mentioned in a Penny Arcade comic

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Katana314 said:
To be honest, I sometimes feel like they miss out on a bit of proper pausing or change of expressions with only 3 panels. It's like, someone's mood swings from ambivalent to furious in one panel, and they can only draw him with one expression in that panel. They can also never have panels in which no one says anything (to pause for effect)
I tihnk they're trying to live by the "don't overstay your welcome" creed, which I appreciate. They don't want to complicate it all, they just wish to entertain and do it with brevity.

Sudenak

Mar 31, 2011
mojodamm said:
By this day and age most people, and especially most gamers, should realize that if it's online it can be hacked, so Lulz isn't doing anyone any favors by pointing out the obvious.
Well, that's pretty sad, isn't it? That we've grown so accustomed to being lied to that we'll cough up all sorts of personal data and won't even care when they lightly guard our stuff. It'd be like a bank keeping all their money in a giant sack in the back, and when they got robbed everyone would just say "well, banks get robbed, whatever". Do we not even care anymore?

Still doesn't excuse acting like a bunch of angry monkeys that got their bananas taken away, and when told to calm down and just ignore it, they get even angrier.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
AC10 said:
I don't understand the comic.
Did we get in trouble for talking about hacks?
No,the people beating up The Escapist guy were the representation of hackers.
I personally think that this comic is hilarious,but others may have different opinions.

Tennou486

Dec 26, 2008
Broady Brio said:
I don't get it.

I've never read a Penny Arcade comic. And now it's put me off forever. Seriously, only 3 boxes?
Why does the number of panels make any difference?

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
I really did lol. The Escapist needed to shut up about hackers (they almost sounded like they admired them). Maybe not so much since they themselves got hacked.

trooper6

Jul 26, 2008
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
lacktheknack said:
paynexkiller said:
I don't remember crying to Penny Arcade for help :(
We didn't. That's not the point. The point is:

Penny Arcade: "Gee! We should do a strip on LulzSec and their hacking!"

Escapist: "AAAAAAUGH ARGLBRLARGL *dies*"

Penny Arcade: "... Maybe not."

It was a meta-joke saying that they WOULD do a strip on LulzSec, except then they'd end up like Escapist Magazine, so they won't, but in the process of saying they won't, they did. Simply put, Penny Arcade has balls.
Finally. I didn't think it was that hard to understand. Apparently, looking at this thread, it is.
OP: Quite funny. I love Penny Arcade. This strip was no different.
Indeed. Plus it also has a very smart reference to Genovese Syndrome.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitty_genovese

captcha: the akersta ... which is almost the arkestra, which is free experimental jazz group by Sun Ra...which is awesome.

OutforEC

Professional Amateur
Jul 20, 2010
Sudenak said:
mojodamm said:
By this day and age most people, and especially most gamers, should realize that if it's online it can be hacked, so Lulz isn't doing anyone any favors by pointing out the obvious.
Well, that's pretty sad, isn't it? That we've grown so accustomed to being lied to that we'll cough up all sorts of personal data and won't even care when they lightly guard our stuff. It'd be like a bank keeping all their money in a giant sack in the back, and when they got robbed everyone would just say "well, banks get robbed, whatever". Do we not even care anymore?

Still doesn't excuse acting like a bunch of angry monkeys that got their bananas taken away, and when told to calm down and just ignore it, they get even angrier.
Discounting the fact that I was never 'lied to' and find it difficult to believe that you were either, who is worse? The organization that 'lied to' an individual, or that individual for believing them? Personally, if someone tells me something that is blatantly false (your information is 'hack-proof'), I don't take it at face value. Corporations get away with it because people want to stick their head in the sand and believe that nothing bad is ever going to happen to them, and for the most part it is true. But just because it's a rarity to get hit by lightning doesn't mean it doesn't happen, and people can believe their information is completely safe, but that doesn't make it so.

As an aside, I'd actually care much less if my bank got robbed, since they're federally insured and all, so I don't give a shit if it's in a giant sack in the back or not. As long as it is available when I want it, why would I care?

Sudenak

Mar 31, 2011
mojodamm said:
Discounting the fact that I was never 'lied to' and find it difficult to believe that you were either, who is worse? The organization that 'lied to' an individual, or that individual for believing them? Personally, if someone tells me something that is blatantly false (your information is 'hack-proof'), I don't take it at face value. Corporations get away with it because people want to stick their head in the sand and believe that nothing bad is ever going to happen to them, and for the most part it is true. But just because it's a rarity to get hit by lightning doesn't mean it doesn't happen, and people can believe their information is completely safe, but that doesn't make it so.

As an aside, I'd actually care much less if my bank got robbed, since they're federally insured and all, so I don't give a shit if it's in a giant sack in the back or not. As long as it is available when I want it, why would I care?
-facepalm-

That's missing the analogy and diving off a cliff with it if I ever saw it.

The idea being that most people don't get how security works, or any of that, and rely heavily on the company saying that they will keep your data safe even as they ask for more and more of it. When they get caught with their pants down, and it turns out they weren't even trying to protect your data (a la PSN), then I'd call that lying. Pretty it up however you like it, when someone offers a service, and demands some personal data from you in exchange, with the promise that they'll protect it, and then their shit gets fucked up because someone hacked 'em and found that it was easy to break into, something's gone wrong.

I don't have enough faith in humanity to seriously believe that everyone is a security junkie that understands how security works online. It's more likely that they all have the knee jerk reaction of "OMG HACKERZ NO WAI" and rage at them for the attack.

Now, since you cheekily dodged the analogy, let me take it one step further, a la PSN. They said it was federally ensured when you signed up, but they lied to you. It isn't. They're scrambling to make good on their word, and instead of offering you some kind of cash incentive, they offer a few discounts for upgrading your account for a month, or some nice little perks like guaranteed parking at their bank, or whatever. Meanwhile, you can't access your money for weeks because they lied. Finally, they get it up.

So, are you just gonna cry about the bank robbers, or will you blink and realize, hey, the people I gave my money to weren't doing jack shit to protect it. Maybe I should be wondering about that too.

Or, y'know. Lulzsec ultimate ebil let's complain about them moar and hug Sony.

OutforEC

Professional Amateur
Jul 20, 2010
Sudenak said:
The idea being that most people don't get how security works, or any of that, and rely heavily on the company saying that they will keep your data safe even as they ask for more and more of it.
Not my fault. Not your fault. Not Sony's fault. Not Lulzsec's fault.

Sudenak said:
I don't have enough faith in humanity to seriously believe that everyone is a security junkie that understands how security works online. It's more likely that they all have the knee jerk reaction of "OMG HACKERZ NO WAI" and rage at them for the attack.
Not my fault. Not your fault. Not Sony's fault. Not Lulzsec's fault.

Sudenak said:
So, are you just gonna cry about the bank robbers, or will you blink and realize, hey, the people I gave my money to weren't doing jack shit to protect it. Maybe I should be wondering about that too.

Or, y'know. Lulzsec ultimate ebil let's complain about them moar and hug Sony.
Yep, exactly. It IS the fault of the bank robbers for robbing a bank. It's the fault of a rapist for raping. It's the fault of a murderer for murdering. They can attempt to justify it all they want, but it all comes down to the same thing. Hold the people that commit the crime accountable, not the victim.

Sudenak

Mar 31, 2011
mojodamm said:
-snip-

Yep, exactly. It IS the fault of the bank robbers for robbing a bank. It's the fault of a rapist for raping. It's the fault of a murderer for murdering. They can attempt to justify it all they want, but it all comes down to the same thing. Hold the people that commit the crime accountable, not the victim.
It's convenient, in one of those really obnoxious ways, how everyone can be completely blameless about general ignorance. Like you can just make a company and have its' business model rely on people either not giving a shit about their personal data or not understanding how protecting it works.

And it always comes down to comparing hacking to rape, doesn't it? Might as well through down a Nazi reference while you're at it.

I'm not arguing that Lulzsec are great heroes. That they are blameless Gods amongst mere mortals. Somewhere along the line I think you missed my two AND ONLY TWO points:

1. That Lulzsec is seeking attention, thus giving them attention will feed them so can everyone shut up about them please?

2. That we should take a lesson from this, that we've been throwing all of our cards down on the table for companies without any sort of guarantee that they will take care of our personal data.

Deflecting that to "well the criminal is still a criminal" does not make my two points any less valid. Comparing it to rape and murder is just sickening. Especially when you have to somehow think that it would make me sit down and go "gee, you sure are right, I guess I should keep feeding Lulzsec with attention and give every company all of my personal data without any care in the world".

Because that was my only two points.

Those are the only two I care about.

You dragging this on into pretending that my only drive is to act like Lulzsec are undeserving of punishment is getting tedious. If you don't have anything to say regarding my two points, then please stop replying.

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
artanis_neravar said:
Broady Brio said:
I don't get it.

I've never read a Penny Arcade comic. And now it's put me off forever. Seriously, only 3 boxes?
What's wrong with just 3 boxes? Seriously it put you off because it only has 3 boxes? That is how you judge quality, buy quantity?
when i was younger, i actually thought Calvin and Hobbes was a superior comic to those other syndicated strips because it had FOUR panels.

i now realize it was actually because it was fucking brilliant.