The Escapist Makes Time's Top 50 Website List

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
The Escapist Makes Time's Top 50 Website List

Time placed The Escapist in its pantheon of the best websites of 2011.

The weekly news periodical Time has been around since the Roaring 20s and its pages have covered World War II, the lunar landing and Monica Lewinsky with equal importance. Even though everyone says print is dead, that makes the institutions of journalism that still exist respected all the more. While the online component of Time is likely a different entity than the print magazine, being noticed by its editors is still an honor. That's why I'm able to announce with great pleasure that The Escapist is pleased to be included in Time's list of the 50 Best Websites of 2011 [http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2087815_2087939_2087916,00.html].

"You can read the Escapist two ways. It's an excellent site about video games and related geek-culture topics such as movies and comics, with all the elements you'd expect: news, reviews, blogs, video and more," reads the description on Time's website. "The Escapist isn't as highbrow or dignified as Kill Screen, but like that fine site, it's written for smart, thoughtful people who happen to love to play games."

Time's list doesn't appear to rank its top 50 in any way - there is no "best website" and the sites are organized by topic. Other gaming websites honored include places to play games such as Onlive, Retrocade and Touch Arcade. The only other gaming-centric website listed that actually writes about games is Jeff Gerstmann's Giant Bomb.

The staff at The Escapist is incredibly excited about being included on Time's list. Now, if only we had some champagne to pop open to toast the success of the last year that includes a Webby Award for Best Gaming Website and two People's Choice Award for Best Lifestyle Website and Best Gaming Website. For the latter - and for the former, really - we have the incredibly vibrant support of you, our fans, to thank. We can't do this without you.

I suppose this warm leftover root beer will have to do. Here's to The Escapist!

Source: Time [http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2087815_2087939_2087916,00.html]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Why the Steve Jobs cover for the image?

Anyway, congrats! I have a love/hate relationship with this site. But I'm still here...so...

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
You guys deserve it though to be fair with free original content, useful news updates all day and one of the best layouts for any forum on the internet

Here's to The Escapist

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
You guys at Escapist deserve better I DEMAND NUMBER ONE SPOT!!!

OT:Congrats to you guys and look forward to many years of gaming and Geeky stuff

What can i say i like to dance

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Yes!
Time Magazine says I have good taste!

And congratulations, of course. ;)

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Well done. It's well deserved. I'm sure you guys (and girls) work hard on this site. I've been lurking for ages and a member for a short while, but I'm pleased with this.
It's good to be recognized.
Thank you everyone.

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
Wow, most of these websites are pretty crap. I notice they're all SFW too, which excludes like 99% of the internet.

Not sure if I'd call a website which crashes one day of the week part of the top 50, but congratulations. yay.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Congrats Escapist!

I'm sure you people worked your asses off to make it this place fun and the place for us nerds/geeks/dorks to hang out. I've lurked here for quite a while before I joined so I'm happy for you guys and gals.

Have a beer, you deserve it!

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Everything Times said about The Escapist is true.

congratulations to the people who keep this site enjoyable

Edit: I do have to say... August is an odd time of year to have Top 50, 100, whatever.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Yay for us! I think we should get a badge to commemorate this occasion!

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
/spectacles
I liked the Escapist before Time magazine did.

Congrats guys. You consistently pull through despite some major fallbacks. Hopefully this will pull in more traffic.

Keep it up!