The Escapist Means More Than Just Video Games

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
The Escapist Means More Than Just Video Games

I?m happy to introduce some new faces and expanded content on our favorite website - The Escapist.

Read Full Article

nuttshell

Aug 11, 2013
Daily reason and generally ontopic news are great endevours 2, I think.

Looking forward to the changes, keep it up.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Inb4 ermagerd, Escapists is going to stop covering games.

Sounds decent, I look forward to seeing the new content. Might help too with the regular comments on some news articles, along the lines of "Why is this being reported here?" Well - either that or it'll make those comments more prevalent. One of the two.

Edit for clarity - I fully expected it to be the latter.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Interesting, I wonder if this will mean new sub-forums to go along with Gaming Discussion. Looking forward to that Pub Club beta :)

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Teoes said:
Might help too with the regular comments on some news articles, along the lines of "Why is this being reported here?" Well - either that or it'll make those comments more prevalent. One of the two.
Probably the second one.

Anyways, I like this plan. I hope it goes over well!

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Anyways, I like this plan. I hope it goes over well!
I second this so damn hard. Hopefully Tabeltop will be including MtG (because why wouldn't it?) and I can get my fix of the news, reviews and complaining about how broken Gary is right in the same place as I get my vidjagames news.

SonicWaffle approves.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Thanks for the article Greg. Hope you guys can get us some great content. I mainly come here for the video game news, comics and forums myself, but it'll be great if everyone can find something that they enjoy.

vun

Burrowed Lurker
Apr 10, 2008
Will there be a feed that shows top stories from each category though? Because I've always liked that TE has been about more than just games, but I'd like to get a mix of news. A lot of the news stories are things I find interesting, but often I'll click them because they're there on the front page, if I have to actively seek them out I'm more likely to just ignore it.

For instance; I like seeing cool things about cosplays every now and then, but I don't really care enough to actively seek it out.

So yeah, these are good news indeed so long as the front page will still contain the mishmash of news that I'm used to.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Sounds great. Also interested to see if there'll be separate sections in the forums for these subjects too now, much like Gaming Discussion.

Also wondering if this means we'll get video content based around these topics. I saw that Matt Lees is to be doing something here that isn't video games so I assume that'll be one thing.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
I like the sound of this. I've always thought of The Escapist as being more of a geek culture site than specifically for games, and it's nice to see that being formally acknowledged. Looking forward to seeing how the site progresses from here.

Best of luck, everyone, and welcome to the new members of the team!

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
Note to self: get in touch with Mr. Ross Lincoln ASAP. I'd love to talk with him about comics at some point. I consider myself a fairly knowledgeable short-form comics enthusiast (see the link).

www.youtube.com/comicstripcritic

Aug 31, 2012
This sounds good, I like the vidya games but tabletop is my first love. Should give me more reason to engage in the site.

Jonathan Bolding is also taking over as Senior Editor - Tabletop, so expect to see board games, miniatures and tabletop roleplaying games covered more often on The Escapist.
All hail Jon Bolding!

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
Wish I could do something with tabletop, but I don't know anyone to do something in that direction. Also...

I didn't know podcats were a thing. (might wanna change that typo to podcast btw)

Anyway, looking forward to how this'll pan out. This seems like a good direction for the escapist to go.

Michster

Sep 16, 2009
Sounds charming. I discovered this site mainly due to zero punctuation but over the years I grew very fond of all the different "stuff" you guys provide. Wether it be Jim's rants or Moviebob's rants or Yahtzee's rants, I always find something to enjoy when I visit this charming place. ^_^

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
hickwarrior said:
Wish I could do something with tabletop, but I don't know anyone to do something in that direction. Also...

I didn't know podcats were a thing. (might wanna change that typo to podcast btw)

Anyway, looking forward to how this'll pan out. This seems like a good direction for the escapist to go.
That isn't a typo.

It's the PodCat.

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
I like the sound of this, although I'll never say no to more content. Looking forward to seeing what the beta brings.

I am also wondering how bad the "OMG the Escapist has changed! Ruined Forever!" reaction will be this time. I remember a lot of complaining last time the site changed it's layout.

hickwarrior said:
Podcat is the nickname for the Escapist Podcast. Hence the logo.

Don't ask me why, although I have a suspicion that it was Susan Arendt who came up with the name back when she was on it.

Sewa_Yunga

I love this highway!
Nov 21, 2011

Now that I've got that out, I'm looking forward to it. I never perceived the Escapist as a gaming-only site anyway :)

To the new editors: Welcome to The Escapist! Be sure to stay out of the basement :p

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
Awesome! I've always thought of this as a kind of hub for nerd culture in general, and I always seem to end up posting more in Off-Topic than Gaming Discussion, so this'll suit me down to the ground.

Particularly looking forward to seeing more comics coverage :D

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Zykon TheLich said:
Jonathan Bolding is also taking over as Senior Editor - Tabletop, so expect to see board games, miniatures and tabletop roleplaying games covered more often on The Escapist.
All hail Jon Bolding!
ALL HAIL ME

SonicWaffle said:
Hopefully Tabeltop will be including MtG (because why wouldn't it?)
We will. I call thee forth, [user]Encaen[/user].