The Escapist Means More Than Just Video Games

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
-Dragmire- said:
Will current accounts stay the same or will people have to sign in separately to each channel?

Does the publisher's club membership apply to all channels?

Will there be another site overhaul with a pub club test phase? I imagine that a new layout will be required to accommodate the diverse sections of content. I want to know this so I can be on the ground floor giving feedback rather than coming in late when everyone is already tired and bitter...
1) Yalp
2) Yalp
3) Yalp

Y'all see sumthin from us soon just gettin 'er all purdy 4 u

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
Sounds great. I welcome whatever you guys want to write about.

And hopefully we won't get as many "what does this have to do with videogames?" bs comments.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
ThyNameIsMud said:
-Dragmire- said:
Will current accounts stay the same or will people have to sign in separately to each channel?

Does the publisher's club membership apply to all channels?

Will there be another site overhaul with a pub club test phase? I imagine that a new layout will be required to accommodate the diverse sections of content. I want to know this so I can be on the ground floor giving feedback rather than coming in late when everyone is already tired and bitter...
1) Yalp
2) Yalp
3) Yalp

Y'all see sumthin from us soon just gettin 'er all purdy 4 u
Oooh, forgot one thing! Will the Konami code still work on all channels even if they don't focus on games?

Mosstromo

Jul 5, 2008
I'm superhappy to see that finally other arts of escapism are starting to be included in the syphon of all of them, this here show. But I still feel that one of the greatest, and most definitely one of the firstests, is still being neglected: Books.
I hear someone saying: "You mean Comics?" Close, but no that much.
Already is excellent that the tidbits of science we were getting for the past months are expanding to a full sized channel, now we need at least the same for books and literature.
d(^_^)b

Greg Tito

Sep 29, 2005
Mosstromo said:
I'm superhappy to see that finally other arts of escapism are starting to be included in the syphon of all of them, this here show. But I still feel that one of the greatest, and most definitely one of the firstests, is still being neglected: Books.
I hear someone saying: "You mean Comics?" Close, but no that much.
Already is excellent that the tidbits of science we were getting for the past months are expanding to a full sized channel, now we need at least the same for books and literature.
d(^_^)b
I would love to cover books and also music as someone else in this thread mentioned, but lets see how this expansion works out first. We will probably do some fantasy and science fiction coverage in the tabletop channel, at least if it pertains to major brands, but that's about it for now. We'd love to do more! Lets see how it goes!

Greg

Greg Tito

Sep 29, 2005
-Dragmire- said:
Oooh, forgot one thing! Will the Konami code still work on all channels even if they don't focus on games?
You're damn right it will.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
I'm loving the sound of this new direction. I'm primarily interested in the gaming news, but I will probably be looking at the science and tech and the movies and TV sections frequently too. I agree with an above poster that some book coverage would be nice (particularly sci fi and fantasy), but I understand that implementing too many things at once would be difficult.

Looking forward to the Pub Club test!

ranger19

Nov 19, 2008
Like many, I think this is a great idea and a natural evolution of (part of) what has made the Escapist so great. I've really enjoyed some of the content I would not have otherwise thought to look for or seek out.

Little curious about how these categories will turn out (I get why comics and cosplay are together, but I think of them as about as similar as comics and games), but definitely optimistic.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Wait, this sounds cool and all, but "Comics and Cosplay"? That's a whole department? I would've thought, like, maybe a cons and cosplay, comics and books maybe? I dunno. That doesn't quite mesh, does it? Chocolate meet peanut butter?

That said, it rolls off the tongue rather nicely.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
It probably would have helped if this was posted BEFORE all of the lifestyle articles were published, but at least it happened.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
something something something anime. Otherwise, I'm keen to see some changes coming. Keeps this site fresh.
Andy of Comix Inc said:
That avatar is just perfect with your post.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Greg Tito said:
1: We are never going to let you forget that that DA2 review (don't look like that, we all still love you!)

2: I'm glad I finally shelled out for PubClub membership this year, all this change could be really fun.

I do have some questions about the the new content however.

Are the content streams going to have their separate pages that branch off the main page or is the design still not finalized?

Is there going to be a official thread for bugs and suggestions in the PubClub forum?

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Nouw said:
something something something anime. Otherwise, I'm keen to see some changes coming. Keeps this site fresh.
Andy of Comix Inc said:
That avatar is just perfect with your post.
May avatar is basically perfect with just about everything, I've found.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ha, this should make those jerks release that this site is NOT about gaming only!
Anyway I am looking forward to the additional news other than gaming.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Greg Tito said:
The Escapist Means More Than Just Video Games

I?m happy to introduce some new faces and expanded content on our favorite website - The Escapist.

Read Full Article
This doesn't sound good. Seems more like tribal fragmentation and corporate overreach than anything that would be good for the site. Why the need to put up these walls between different topics? You're just going to get crappy sub-sub-cultures as a result, rather than a cohesive whole.

dragonswarrior

Also a Social Justice Warrior
Feb 13, 2012
Ah!! This is very exciting!! I think this is a fantastic direction to move the site in, good luck to everyone!!

Also, is there any way that you could do some reporting on nerdy books? Not, you know, a whole channel or anything... but maybe just put it in with the movies/tv section for those of us that love reading our scifi/fantasy too?

Edit: Andy of Comix had a better idea, putting in the books with the comics and cosplay.

Greg Tito

Sep 29, 2005
Aardvaarkman said:
This doesn't sound good. Seems more like tribal fragmentation and corporate overreach than anything that would be good for the site. Why the need to put up these walls between different topics? You're just going to get crappy sub-sub-cultures as a result, rather than a cohesive whole.
There won't be walls at all. All this new content will live in its dedicated space in addition to the main site. We're just making it easier to navigate to the stuff you might like!

Greg

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Greg Tito said:
2xDouble said:
This is a neat idea, Greg, but do try to keep the channels organized and accessible. *snip*
Will do! We definitely want to keep the presentation as clean and engaging as possible. The point is to make it EASIER to get to the kinds of content you enjoy so we definitely will not be hiding anything. But as always, please let us know if there's anything we can do better.

Greg
Much obliged, sir! Keep up the good work and keep on keepin' on. Thanks.

/salute