The Escapist Needs New Newsies

Encaen

May 6, 2005
The Escapist Needs New Newsies

Think you've got the writing chops to join The Escapist's exclusive news team? Find out now.

Once again, the time has come to bolster the ranks of our small assemblage of exceptionally talented news writers. If you, too, are exceptionally talented, live somewhere on Earth, and are looking to break into games journalism, we'd love for you to apply.

Experience is a plus, but is secondary to your ability to clearly, effectively, and entertainingly convey ideas and information via the written word. To this end, we've concocted this little scheme to sort out who's a good fit for the position(s).

Here's how it works:
1) Read all the news on The Escapist. Well, maybe not all of it, but enough of it to get a general feel for our style. We encourage you to embrace your own voice when writing, but keep an eye out for common trends and conform your own submission to The Escapist's style.
2) Find a relevant gaming news story from somewhere around the internet, then write it as a news post appropriate for The Escapist.
3) Send us your 250-350 word write up, along with your name and any other information you think we should know in the body of an email to newsjobs [at] escapistmag.com with "News Application" as the subject line. If you'd like to include additional writing samples or a resume/CV, please do so as attachment(s) to the email.

The deadline for submissions is 11:59pm Eastern US Time on Friday, August 23rd. You must be at least 18 years old to apply.

Applicants will only be considered once the deadline has passed, at which point we will attempt to get in touch with everyone who made the cut within a few weeks. If you don't hear back from us, we will unfortunately be unable to offer you a position on the team at this time.

That's all there is to it! In case you have any questions, please feel free to PM me, [user]encaen[/user], using your The Escapist account. You do have one of those, don't you?

Good luck!

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Damn my already full time job. Who doesn't want to sit on the internet and report about stuff?

Ace Morologist

Apr 25, 2013
Must hate the Xbox One, be skeptical of all video game remakes (sight-unseen) and believe Pacific Rim was this generation's Citizen Kane.

Ha! I kid! I kid!

--Morology!

The Knightly Gamer

Jan 5, 2011
Ace Morologist said:
Must hate the Xbox One, be skeptical of all video game remakes (sight-unseen) and believe Pacific Rim was this generation's Citizen Kane.

Ha! I kid! I kid!

--Morology!

You sir have dared to sully "the movie of our generation". I challenge you to fisticuffs on the field of honor. I shall be "canceling the apocalypse" of your opinion. lol

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
I just might do this. I'm looking to do work experience at our national newspaper here next year, so this would be extremely valuable to heighten my skills. I do already have some writing experience, so we'll see how it goes.

Hopefully I'm good enough.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Oh, tempted to throw my hat into the ring.

Worth a shot, anyway.

And obviously, please all be terrible so I can be chosen good luck to anyone who enters.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Damn, if I didn't know that upcoming college was going to eat all my time I'd take a shot.

Not Matt

Nov 3, 2011
Oh my god oh my god oh my god. what a time to be alive . I have wanted to work for the escapist since 09. And after several years of studying journalism they are searching for staff...... To bad they weren't searching for staff a few months later because then I would have actually been 18 and able to try and throw myself in to the ring. Still though, good luck to all you "adults" out there who wanna try. Congratulations to whoever get's it

( don't be fooled by the cheerfulness of that post, I am screaming and crying internally)

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Of course they offer a new job right before classes start back up for me. Because fate hates me. Well, good luck to everyone.

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
Good luck to whomever truly wants this position. I hope it'll help you further in life.

As for me, I'll stick to what I know. Gaming to me is entertainment right now, but if I learn something out of, great. I just like to game at my own pace.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Experience is a plus, but is secondary to your ability to clearly-
Welp, I'm out of the running. (I tend to have a hard time making things clear.)

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
tempting. might want to give it a shot. would be nice to use english in my writing again.

Good luck to everyone who applies :)

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
...I mean, more on this story as it develops. Back to you in the news room Ron.

I've been meaning to take my chances into gaems jurnalizm for a while, might as well give it a shot.

BTW, good luck everyone! :)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Quite tempted to do this. Be nice to snag some author credit in a field I give a damn about for once.

Ace Morologist said:
I am so in!

Ha! I kid! I kid!
Damn it!

(I'm not sure I qualify, though, since I haven't seen Pac Rim).

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
I don't have a life and would like one so I'll definitely have to apply. Besides it's hard an autistic person to find something like a job (I know it's unpaid but it'll be good for getting me used to how a job would be).

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
Well I have been on this site on and off since late 2008, and I have studied for a degree in Journalism. So I might give it a go haha. Although finding a breaking gaming news story might be quite difficult, since everything is covered by everyone, everywhere immediately.