The Escapist On The Road: PAX East 2013 - Tomb Raider: Recreating an Icon Panel

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
PAX East 2013 - Tomb Raider: Recreating an Icon Panel

Crystal Dynamics brings together some of the talented development team members from various backgrounds who worked on Tomb Raider. The discussion will dive deep into their roles, responsibilities, and perspectives on recreating Lara Croft. Moderated by Susan Arendt from The Escapist, an audience Q&A will follow the panel.

Panelists:
Susan Arendt, Editor-in-Chief, The Escapist
Kam Zambell, Producer, Crystal Dynamics
Kari Hattner, Associate Producer, Crystal Dynamics
Nicole Tan, Artist, Crystal Dynamics
Megan Marie, Community Manager, Crystal Dynamics

Watch Video

m19

Jun 13, 2012
"People were stuck for hours".

Do they like purposefully get the lowest common denominator to test these games?

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
Very interesting though I'd have liked to be more about Lara Croft as a character.

On the other hand, the old "teflon Lara" was often strongly sexualized and often really wasn't more than a ad figure with her appearing in countless ads (and a few music vids)... so maybe better that way.
I really like the new Lara, though.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
I was interested in Pratchett's answer to why Lara needed to be changed - that she was infallible and that a character can't be interesting unless they have faults. Needless to say I totally disagree, but it would be an interesting discussion.

I also didn't know that the designers were all women. I wonder if that was a conscious choice.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Blood Brain Barrier said:
I was interested in Pratchett's answer to why Lara needed to be changed - that she was infallible and that a character can't be interesting unless they have faults. Needless to say I totally disagree, but it would be an interesting discussion.

I also didn't know that the designers were all women. I wonder if that was a conscious choice.
Well, it takes more than four people to make a game, so rest assured, there were some boys there, too. :)