The Escapist Presents: 5 Favorites of 2011: Greg

Woem

May 28, 2009
The description of the video reads "Greg Tito shares his Top 5 Favorite Games of 2010" instead of 2011.

Dec 14, 2009
I almost forgot about these videos.

I love seeing what the 'scapist crew's favourite games of the year are.

Who's next?

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
5 Favorites of 2011: Greg

Greg Tito shares his Top 5 Favorite Games of 2011 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/9305-Gregs-Five-Favorites-of-2011].

Watch Video

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
White-Death said:
Finally! someone else who actually liked Dragon age 2!
There's quite a few of us, actually. It has flaws, but is still good.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Very happy to see Dragon Age 2 love.

The game went from being hyped and very well reviewed to everyone pretending it doesn't exist in the span of a few months.

It's easily my GOTY 2011.

Mabster

May 8, 2011
Nice that Dragon Age 2 gets some love for a change, it seems to have become the go-to punching bag for so many, that it's certainly needed.

Pandabearparade

Mar 23, 2011
I'm not surprised to see Dragon Age II. I don't see why I would give you flak for an entirely personal list, either. I think people were mad not because you gave DA2 a good score, but because your review omitted obvious, objective flaws such as bugs and map recycling. It was a bad review, DA2 wasn't a bad game (though it was certainly nothing compared to Origins).

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
Woem said:
The description of the video reads "Greg Tito shares his Top 5 Favorite Games of 2010" instead of 2011.
This is the only instance where the "first!" comment would be entirely appropriate. How did that even happen? This site is has been having serious maintenance issues over the past six months.

OT: Until I saw there was a second page, I thought that his third game was his number one. I was about to rage, "Bullshit!" until I discovered my mental cramp. As we all know, Greg Tito sweats this game like none other.

Eabus

Poker of Badgers
Apr 15, 2009
I also liked Dragon Age 2. Its a Bioware RPG and that means, to me anyway, that the game should focus around the story and character, which it did. I was engaged by the characters and loved the way it picked off from the Awakening Expansion. It seems to me the game had a few flaws that some and suddenly due to these flaws and some disappointing changes a good game that may not quite live up to its fantastic predecessor was suddenly the worst game ever made. I think a similar thing happend to the Simpsons so I was happy to see Movie-Bob's two parter. Good on you Greg Tito, voice your positive opinion on a game even if it is unpopular.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
*claps* Glad to see another person who doesn't go with the mob and try to lynch DA2 at every opportunity.

Sure the game had its flaws (alot of them), but it was far from being the terrible game that alot of people say it is at seemingly every chance that they can get. I liked the game enough to play it twice, which is more than I can say for many. Obnoxious little shits they be. :eek:

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Pandabearparade said:
I'm not surprised to see Dragon Age II. I don't see why I would give you flak for an entirely personal list, either. I think people were mad not because you gave DA2 a good score, but because your review omitted obvious, objective flaws such as bugs and map recycling. It was a bad review, DA2 wasn't a bad game (though it was certainly nothing compared to Origins).

I think you're partially correct. Yes, the game had many, many flaws that were unmentioned in the review. Which I'm fairly sure included the "pinnacle of RPGs" tagline. However, these flaws are important in that they really, really discount DA2 from being a good game. Of all the things released this year, it's not even in the top 15.

Bonecrusher

Nov 20, 2009
It is interesting some people heavily protect DA2 in topics. It is as absurd as mocking the game to the end in.

OK it was not 0/10 game, but it was not a good game either.
Being an AAA shouldn't be "protection shield" for games, we don't need "with the mob" or some other weird insults.

The game was a year of the game if you played it on the consoles + if it's your first RPG, nothing more.

Criticizing this game doesn't make you "mindless mob", you will just point the obvious.

There were many many flaws in the game, and some problematic game design choices.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
Came in here just to voice my props at the Dragon Age II love. It's a flawed game, but I loved it nonetheless. One of my favorites of the year (Although, I didn't play many of this year's games, so that statement is worthless).

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
Bonecrusherr said:
It is interesting some people heavily protect DA2 in topics. It is as absurd as mocking the game to the end in.

OK it was not 0/10 game, but it was not a good game either.
Being an AAA shouldn't be "protection shield" for games, we don't need "with the mob" or some other weird insults.

The game was a year of the game if you played it on the consoles + if it's your first RPG, nothing more.

Criticizing this game doesn't make you "mindless mob", you will just point the obvious.

There were many many flaws in the game, and some problematic game design choices.
Thanks for pointing me out like that. It's obvious that you didn't even read my post.

I don't have a problem with people pointing out that DA2 had flaws. It had many of them, and even if I had a relatively good time with the game, it most certainly is not GOTY material.

What I do have a problem with is that it seems like -every- time there is a excuse to bring up DA2 in a thread, people seem to come out of the woodwork to say "DA2 is shit, OMG!" While it is understandable that people have different opinions, after reading seemingly never-ending rants against DA2, it's just really obnoxious now.

In short, I (and likely many others) know that alot of people don't like DA2. We've heard it a billion times. But... can we please just shut the fuck up about it for once and move on?

Find something else to hate on, if you absolutely must hate on something. It's been nearly 10 months since this damn game came out. Some people just need to give it a rest FFS.

Theysaid

Apr 12, 2011
I have to admit, I'm one of those PC players that wrote off DA2 as a poor console port. I played the demo and it felt like too big of a change. I continued to read both the bashing and the high praise of the game and finally picked it up at a discount. I liked DA:O enough that I had to at least give it more of a try than the demo.

I ended up enjoying the game. Yes, there are common complaints about the game that I agree with (and won't list here, this is not the thread for it), but it is definitely a good game for the discounted price. If anyone that loved DA:O was too stubborn to even try DA2 (like me), I suggest that you get it. If you like it, you can still pretend to hate it in the forums. No one will ever know.

Is DA2 on my top 5 for the year? Maybe, but like chaosyoshimage I haven't played that many games this year so that probably doesn't mean much.

As for Skyrim, I still haven't played it. I do want to play it, but launch day reviews (especially for PC) made me hold of on the purchase. (That means that I did have to look up the "arrow to the knee" reference the first time I saw it.) If the game is half as good as most people say, I'm sure I'll like it.

Spectrum_Prez

Aug 19, 2009
I'm going to try that Pirates of Black Cove game based on this recommendation. I've been waiting for a good successor to Sid Meier's Pirates! for a while and I hope this fills that hole in my hearrrrrrrt.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
DVS BSTrD said:
Okay this is just sad. How did Daystar and Woem manage to comment an hour before the OP even posted? Seriously escapist, it's like you don't even care anymore.
It's actually a glitch that's been around for ages that no one appears to have noticed. Sometimes, the Staff preloads the article/video/whatever and it pops up in the "Latest Posts" box. People click it, post and boom, you get what you see here, two posts before the OP. It happens rarely[footnote]Last time I saw this happen was around 2010 when Hubilub did it.[/footnote] but it's there.

OT: Interesting list, now to watch as the DA2 review fiasco raises its head yet again as people can't seem to let it go.