The Escapist Presents: Destiny Beta's Greatest Hits

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Destiny Beta's Greatest Hits

Check out some of our favorite moments playing the Destiny Beta.

Watch Video

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
At least for now they appear to be delivering on their promises.

I look forward to seeing/playing more in the future.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I'm really surprised how much I liked this game. Awesome playing it, will buy it for sure. This is one of the few times I can remember where testing the game actually made me want to buy it. Usually I've had my fill before the end of testing.

Razorback0z

Feb 10, 2009
And the difference between Destiny and the other 30 titles that look exactly like it, is what?

Unlike Lightknight, the more I see of it the more I am yawning in anticipation.

About a month ago I started re-playing Skyrim for the 4th time. Every time I load it up, I am reminded of how far backward gaming has gone since, particularly for Bethesda with the horrific mutation that is ESO. This is to say nothing of how far backward gaming has gone since Red Dead Redemption.

Seems to me if you have played any BF titles or any MMO, you have played Destiny.... to death.... but then again given the massive number of new gamers each year, particularly those with short enough attention spans to have enjoyed Halo, it will no doubt be a winner. I think Destiny punctuates very nicely how little imagination it takes to turn out a big game title these days.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Razorback0z said:
And the difference between Destiny and the other 30 titles that look exactly like it, is what?
Hush you! You're not supposed to mention how Destiny is made by Bungie and looks for all the world like Halo and Borderlands had a one-night stand and this is the horrible mutant offspring of an overly melodramatic and cartoonishly silly FPS and Borderlands.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
So... you shoot people with guns, whack people with guns and occasionally use a class ability?

Riveting stuff.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Errr, I guess I'd need to play it to see the appeal. This is actually the first material of any kind I've seen on Destiny and the only thing going through my mind was how much it felt like I've either seen this before or it has some uncanny resemblance to something else I've played.

I appreciate the music though, that was fun!

remmus

Aug 31, 2009
Shamanic Rhythm said:
So... you shoot people with guns, whack people with guns and occasionally use a class ability?

Riveting stuff.
As someone who actually played the Beta I would say Destiny is a classic case of "you don´t have to be new to be good"

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
What's the video for, though? You could apply the 1812 Overture to practically any game. Hell, I'm re-imagining this video with Solitaire, and it works. Uhh, ehh, eee... really? Seriously, what was the particular significance other than just an exercise in cleverness?

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
Razorback0z said:

About a month ago I started re-playing Skyrim for the 4th time. Every time I load it up, I am reminded of how far backward gaming has gone since, particularly for Bethesda with the horrific mutation that is ESO. This is to say nothing of how far backward gaming has gone since Red Dead Redemption.

Seems to me if you have played any BF titles or any MMO, you have played Destiny.... to death.... but then again given the massive number of new gamers each year, particularly those with short enough attention spans to have enjoyed Halo, it will no doubt be a winner. I think Destiny punctuates very nicely how little imagination it takes to turn out a big game title these days.

Name one game from a big publisher that has come out in the last 10 years that has gameplay that you haven't previously had the opportunity to play to death.

Razorback0z

Feb 10, 2009
youji itami said:
Razorback0z said:

Name one game from a big publisher that has come out in the last 10 years that has gameplay that you haven't previously had the opportunity to play to death.
Good point, the last 10 years has been pretty "regurgitory" for someone who started home computer gaming on a VIC20. But I guess that further illustrates my point. Destiny is designed to capture new gamers, experienced gamers are the great untapped market right now. But having said that what company will waste money developing something with depth, complexity and originality when they can churn out this dross and still make a motza.