The Escapist Presents: Eldritch - Lovecraftian Roguelike Adventure

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Eldritch - Lovecraftian Roguelike Adventure

Explore a mystical world full of horrors and mysteries in Eldritch [http://www.eldritchgame.com/].

Watch Video

Gregory Wollf

Jun 13, 2011
How much of this game was directly copied from Minecraft? The world is made of out of blocks, the blocks are destructible, the torches, doors, and books look and operate just like they do in Minecraft.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Very cool- I'll have to check this out when I get home later. At first I thought it was a Minecraft mod, but I can't find any official recognition that it had anything to do with minecraft or it's resources, so I guess they just went with that style. I love me some lovecraft mythos, and recently lost half of my Arkham Horror / Mansions of Madness game group to a work related move, so this is right up my alley.

Mark B

Nov 5, 2007
While the minecraft look is quirky and unique, I was hoping it wouldn't catch on as a style. I guess I was wrong and I guess it not so unique any more...

lobster22221

Feb 3, 2011
Mark B said:
While the minecraft look is quirky and unique, I was hoping it wouldn't catch on as a style. I guess I was wrong and I guess it not so unique any more...
Whether or not it is a good thing, it makes sense for the Minecraft style to become popular among indie developers. It allows gameplay features that would otherwise be expensive/difficult/impossible for the developers to use, such as dynamic terrain. It would likely make a lot of the physics coding much easier. In addition, even if the style will be cloned to death, it still stands out from the majority of games.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
lobster22221 said:
Mark B said:
Whether or not it is a good thing, it makes sense for the Minecraft style to become popular among indie developers. It allows gameplay features that would otherwise be expensive/difficult/impossible for the developers to use, such as dynamic terrain. It would likely make a lot of the physics coding much easier. In addition, even if the style will be cloned to death, it still stands out from the majority of games.
Yeah, I'm getting the vibe that they went with the "minecraft style" because it allows for easily generating a dynamic world in 3D, right down to destructible environments. That's /huge/ in a roguelike, where one of the main points is total freedom, often right down to taking out a pickaxe or a bomb and making your own door if you can't find a hidden one. Or your own trap door if you're screwed and need a way out, immediately.

Also, if I ever get this game I will probably never play another one again. Or at least I'll disappear for a week until I get it out of my system. "Lovecraftian roguelike shooter" combines three of my favorite things in the whole world. I don't have the cash to drop $15 on a random game, but it's on my Steam wishlist, and I'll be keeping my eye out for a sale.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
The other reason Minecraft's style is rather common is because while it is a voxel engine, it was compiled using Java, and Java does not compile its files into assembler code and then embeds them into an application, but instead stores them in a compressed .jar file. As a result, all that code is free to be looked over... And copied...