The Escapist Presents: Escapist in LA: Producer's Diary

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
Escapist in LA: Producer's Diary

Russ shares his producer's diary, shot on location in Los Angeles, as the video crew drives from studio to studio along LA's famous freeways.

Watch Video

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
So glad someone else felt that same way I did in LA. Anywhere you want to go is 25 minutes away.

Teleios

Aug 5, 2003
sv93 said:
Spinwhiz said:
So glad someone else felt that same way I did in LA. Anywhere you want to go is 25 minutes away.
Thats what's great about living in a city. Every-thing's so close, its best to like near the outskirts though. Russ's video diary made me laugh. He looked really eccentric when he was filming them. Or maybe it was just the camera.
25 minutes is close?!??!

Here you can get anywhere in like 5-10 :p

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
sv93 said:
Russ's video diary made me laugh. He looked really eccentric when he was filming them. Or maybe it was just the camera.
I shot it on one of those hand-held $20 "direct-to-YouTube" cameras. I was surprised by the quality, considering.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Teleios said:
sv93 said:
Spinwhiz said:
Thats what's great about living in a city. Every-thing's so close, its best to like near the outskirts though. Russ's video diary made me laugh. He looked really eccentric when he was filming them. Or maybe it was just the camera.
25 minutes is close?!??!

Here you can get anywhere in like 5-10 :p
Don't move to Maine or Texas. There, an hour drive is a quick trip.

Teleios

Aug 5, 2003
Susan Arendt said:
Don't move to Maine or Texas. There, an hour drive is a quick trip.
Hey, I used to live about an hour from my high school. I know about those :p

I'm definitely more of a fan of the short drives though ... A day long trip to go to the grocery store sucks. And it's an entire production if you want to grab a quick dinner... "quick"

Trujkin

Nov 12, 2002
And even 20 minutes outside of San Francisco can be podunk nowhere. Half Moon Bay didn't have a movie theater. We'd have to find a way to get a half an hour or more away to be able to do something besides eat fast food or watch the fog roll in. Heck, some of my friends lived almost an hour away... by bicycle.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
LA does have a bit of a bad reputation...There's a great bit of dialogue in Futurama:

Fry: So you're saying these aren't the decaying ruins of New York in the year 4000?
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: You wish. You're in Los Angeles.
Fry: But there was this gang of ten-year-olds with guns.
Leela: Exactly. You're in L.A.
Fry: But everyone is driving around in cars shooting at each other.
Bender: That's L.A. for you.
Fry: But the air is green and there's no sign of civilization whatsoever.
Bender: He just won't stop with the social commentary.
Fry: And the people are all phonies. No one reads. Everything has cilantro on it...

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Who was the other voice at the end, I can't place where I've heard it before and it might just be my imagination but I remember it from somewhere.

I don't mind car trips because as long as I'm getting closer I can just zone out. Although I get the impression you weren't getting any closer to anything.

clauwman

Jan 31, 2009
Driving on the highways can make you insane. There is nothing interesting to look at.

Looking forward to the up-coming interview for the Escapist Show!

Darkwolf9

Aug 19, 2008
Russ Pitts said:
Escapist in LA: Producer's Diary

Russ shares his producer's diary, shot on location in Los Angeles, as the video crew drives from studio to studio along LA's famous freeways.

Watch Video
I laughed because I felt the same way about LA. I've been in a lot of air ports and cities and the only place I have ever experienced culture shock was in LA, Even when I was out of the country. Ironically as soon as I stepped off of the plane in LA the song Los Angeles from Adema started playing as I walked through the airport in fear of what the hell those things were that kinda looked like a guy/girl chimeras.

pierre61

Aug 23, 2008
Is it just me .. or maybe I'm in a bad mood or something .... but what the hell was 'entertaining' about that?