The Escapist Presents: Game Dogs: Behind the Scenes

paralost

Aug 7, 2009
jeez harshness______^ there

but ya i wouldn't mind if this show took 2 weeks to come out if it meant the scripts could be better with more K.O. jokes that get me ROFL all the way to ROFLMAO. but i think people are jumping the gun. nearly every show on the escapist, at least the story based ones, had random episodes before the main plot started unfolding. UR, Apoc. Lane, Doomsday Arcade they all had bumps on their now glorious roads. i can't wait for this show to start shining because i think it will get better... which is weird cause I'm a huge pessimist.

Landslide

Jun 13, 2002
Lamech777 said:
Interesting how the girls were some what decent looking, I expected them to look as bad as the show is.
I understand that it might be difficult to cobble together some kind of social grace while imprisoned in whatever dark, dank, sweat-stained dungeon you call 'home'. I get that you might think that this is something appropriate to say over The Internet, where you can be as inflammatory as you want, with little chance of punishment or rebuke. I can even see why you might, in some twisted, base way think that someone else of your mental and ethical caliber might even be amused by this.

But I guaran-fucking-tee you I am not.

Taxicab Samurai

Dec 23, 2008
They really think that Game Dogs is so great they think they have to make a behind the scenes thing every couple videos?
Hell Unforgotten Realms as better than this crap.

Here's what they should do.
Take the money and effort they put into this and either buy some hookers, or hire someone to make video supplements to anime reviews.
Guarantee then they would increase people paying attention to the anime reviews (yes they have anime reviews) since they wouldn't have to search for them, the video would just show up in new videos.

Oh and inb4ihateanime

wfpdk

May 8, 2008
you seemed to stress the difficulties of the animation proses, but others shows like Unforgotten realms and apocalypse lane have the same kind of animation but are much better shows because they're well written.

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
A challenge aye? Well I'm guessing that Sir Dick the Duke is most likely Peter Megaz...I mean Moleyneux. I'm pretty sure the crew questioning furries is all sarcasm so everyone just relax about that and stop with the posting of definitions and versions no matter how clever they may be, please and thank you.

I've loved this show since it's beginning and always find myself to be quoting, "Are you insane?!", at the end of the theme song.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I don't know why but I think this show has gotten more hate than it deserves. It ain't the best but it certainly ain't the worst.

Lamech777

May 28, 2009
Landslide said:
Lamech777 said:
Interesting how the girls were some what decent looking, I expected them to look as bad as the show is.
I understand that it might be difficult to cobble together some kind of social grace while imprisoned in whatever dark, dank, sweat-stained dungeon you call 'home'. I get that you might think that this is something appropriate to say over The Internet, where you can be as inflammatory as you want, with little chance of punishment or rebuke. I can even see why you might, in some twisted, base way think that someone else of your mental and ethical caliber might even be amused by this.

But I guaran-fucking-tee you I am not.
Well I will admit this brought a grin to my face.

Vimbert

Aug 15, 2009
addeB said:
Parody works best if you know who it's a parody of, : /
I agree... If it's a parody of the Escapist's office, it's a little too much of an inside joke to be very accessible to an outside audience.

syltman

Feb 12, 2009
Why not make it so every second week is gamerdogs and every other week is Doralus, that way you get two weeks with each.

Imper1um

May 21, 2008
Ugh, so one week of horribleness every other week? No, they just need to take a break for...8+ Weeks to decide if it's really worth it. I think one of their biggest things is they are laughing at it, but no one else understands it. Heck, I work in a development environment and I'm watching it straight faced.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
And POW about 20 posts in the furry discussion starts. I don't watch the show because it's not my cup of tea but I can't wait until it comes out every week so I can watch people argue about it.

I found the making of pretty interesting but not entertaining. It served as a showreel for the show and I'm always amazed at the things people produce with the facilities they have. (chroma key, etc.) I think the reason I don't like Gamedogs is not that they are all dogs but more why is it not live action. It's set in an office with people just talking. I'd much prefer a badly acted live version than a cartoon as visually interesting as 60's Spider-Man. So unless they start going into computers to have adventures re-boot style I'm not biting.

Also pop shields cost like 10-20 bux: http://www.amazon.com/Nady-MPF-6-6-Inch-Clamp-Microphone/dp/B0002CZW0Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1267018854&sr=8-2

Higurashi

Jan 23, 2008
Heh, the masses of critics would do well to listen to what Mr. Pitts says at the end.

"It's just such a fertile playing ground. We're just having fun... screwing around with it."

As such, it is sporadically fun to watch, but mostly I just enjoy seeing how they get it together as a team. I laughed my ass off at "lifelike", and I really felt Sprout's joy with her comment. As a fellow artist (albeit of words), I can really sympathise. You more than deserve it. ^_^

mip0

Nov 25, 2009
Great, the animations are getting better. That's really my only problem with the show right now so... keep it up!

anian

Sep 10, 2008
At first I thought it was a joke about "putting code in to help animate", cause the insert after it had like 5 different frames for more than a few seconds of the movie. Just tell me it was a joke.

I don't mind that it simply is not as funny (to me) as other toons/shows on the site are, I watch it as story content with some humor and then I think it's fine. I love the style of the drawings and the animation doesn't bother me at all (hey, if it means less time to make, more is tolerable).

If there are going to be more videos on produciton, I'd like to see more technical parts. How actually the look of the characters came to be, how is animation done for the show etc.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
First, looks like Romero and Garriot are game makers spoofed.

Okay, as I personally requested such a feature from the good Mister Russ Pitts, feel I should go over this video.

Here we go, wall of text, enjoy.

I really enjoyed this view behind elements of the process and appreciate taking my (and maybe others) suggestion to do so. Actually I enjoyed this more than any of the show episodes (that's not a cheap shot, I did find this to be fun).

Starting off I want everyone there to know criticism of a work is not a criticism of the good people working on it. I know that line can blur when you put so much of yourself into something and find taking things personally. All seemed like great folks who do care about their work.

Onto technical elements as that seemed to dominate this feature. I have never been bothered by the fact that shows on here have a lower budget and constraints. Fine by me, I understand short turnarounds mean cannot spend hours getting a single animation perfect.

Really liked seeing photoshop and drawing as I'm into that (and jealous of set up Ms. Feilhauer has). Was curious as to deeper into thought process (she states "something we like") of character design and what was desired to be portrayed. This breed feels masculine or feminine (ears to me seem major part) and if we do [insert design decision] it shows a specific trait we wanted to convey.

So, frankly from technical standpoint, solid work. Kudos.

Now onto the creative process. I can excuse easily budget issues for technical fine, but writing and humor aren't down to budget. Watching programs like "Loading Ready Run" demonstrates how hilarious something can be with couple of people and a camera.

So, how is an episode of Game Dogs written? Like to see that process of few writers in a room working on creative aspects. "Okay, this episode we need to do this, this is our framework" and seeing how it evolves. What lines come from someone and make everyone say "that has to go in, that's gold!" Or "how would Chet react to this to show humor or characterization"? Then next stage of people reading it in a room, what makes people newly exposed to the script laugh? Did that in-joke that made room of writers crack up fall flat? Was there an unexpected roar off line unsure about?

I was curious as to the decision to have voice actors do separately and never interact with one another. This may be a scheduling issue, not sure. I know it happens in animation and interested how you work with that. Why was the "true" the voice actor (out of several) used? What chemistry blocks can this have to show proper reactions to one another and get across how characters interact on the show.

It is obvious that folks there do care and set out to create something they take pride in. I'm not one to bash for sake of it as I do like this site and content it offers. It can simply be "our humor is different from yours" and so be it. I wish everyone there all the best and again, thanks for giving feedback, humanizes you and almost makes me feel a bit guilty for not liking this show.

For Mister Pitts "Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better."

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
Also, as a side note, if the lead artist, Jessica Fielhauer, reads this was curious about more details of process. I've been self taught ("artist in thee" thread for evidence) on PS was nice to learn how pros manage. If you don't mind about discussing, how you go from sketch to final product, which tools you favor, amount of time expected on each stage and anything else think of. Any help is appreciated.