The Escapist Presents: Grand Theft Auto 5 Tip & Tricks: How to Steal a Fighter Jet

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Grand Theft Auto 5 Tip & Tricks: How to Steal a Fighter Jet

The best method I've found for stealing a jet from the fort in GTA V.

Watch Video

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
The best way to avoid the missiles is to fly as low as you can before you're out of range. It's best to aim for the ocean in this case.

If you're flying low the radar doesn't pick you up, so no missiles are launched.

ElFuzzy

Jun 28, 2013
Lol, congrats on finding the right method. I hope you tried to annihilate the base with your new found prize afterward.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
MuffinMan74 said:
Thanks for the information, now the only issue is, where can I store said jet when I'm done with it so I don't have to steal another one.
You get the option to buy an airfield with a hanger/garage later in the game.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like you don't get a wanted level where using Franklin's ability, which looks like a glitch. I want to achieve things in games without glitches.
It only delays it, and sometimes strangely it doesn't work at all and you're instantly wanted as soon as you touch the base. It's also still possible to complete this style of stealing jets with the other characters.

INF1NIT3 D00M

Aug 14, 2008
Thank you SO MUCH for this video. I've been wondering where the jets were in the first place, I hadn't even seen a military base until one of Trevor's missions brought me there. I had enough trouble getting what I needed with the mission making it easier, let alone trying to get in and out with a jet in the freeroaming.

I might be able to pull this off with a blimp and a parachute, for some extra Fancy Points. I'll let you know how that goes.

'til then, I'm going to be playing a LOT more of GTA. Can't wait to get one of these in the multiplayer when it launches.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
MuffinMan74 said:
Thanks for the information, now the only issue is, where can I store said jet when I'm done with it so I don't have to steal another one.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like you don't get a wanted level where using Franklin's ability, which looks like a glitch. I want to achieve things in games without glitches.

Anyway you're stealing military jets, I'm trying to steal a police baton without getting killed and paying hospital bills and I'm failing (it's not available in ammunation yet).
It's not so much a glitch as it is using the full advantage of Franklin's ability. It improves your reaction time, allowing you to make sharp turns and such with perfectly vehicle handling and all that fun stuff, but it also GREATLY slows down time around you, all cars slow to almost complete stops while your car actually gets a speed-boost. It's all built into the game as part of Franklin's power, as such the most applicable thing you could call it would ben an exploit, but it's not even really an exploit seeing as how you're just using one of the tools that the game itself has given you.

Edit: Gotta say that method worked like a charm, managed to nab a jet on my 3rd try. An important note is that it seems that if you want to get a headstart on the base before the alarm kicks in, make sure you activate Franklin's ability before you get to the guard booth at the gate. If you're at (or even too close to) the booth when you activate your special ability it triggers the alarm and you'll most likely end up on the business end of a tank's cannon.

Tumedus

Jul 13, 2010
I find just hijacking one of the tanks, then destroying the other tanks makes it much simpler. Also, as said above, if you fly low out of the base, you won't get shot down.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Alternate way I've found: There's a wall on the south side you can climb over if you bring a big truck, that'll get you in without being spotted. The downside is that you'll be inside without a decent vehicle, so you'll have to move smartly. Got my jet in the end, though.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Now if only the flying vehicles didn't control like ass.

Helicopters are the worst. Each one controls like it has a sack of bricks hanging underneath, and sometimes they literally do.

Call Me Jose

That One Jose
Jul 4, 2012
MinionJoe said:
And once you get the jet, use it until you lose it. Because you certainly can't reliably save it anywhere. ;P
Once its saved in the hangar you can fly it out crash it all you want and it'll respawn back in your hangar, there are some missions that will use your hangar for another plane where your fighter jet/stored plane will disappear but it'll come back after you leave the area and come back.

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
I managed t get it after parachuting in from a blimp with Trevor. Tried to stash it in my hanger and it blew the fuck up immediately. That thing is unlandable.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
So yeah, I stole the jet originally just so I could tell a friend who's been trying to steal one "Looky what I did..."

But tonight I took it for an actual spin and good lord was it fun. You're pretty much unstoppable while in the jet unless you fly over the military base and get shot down by missiles. Other than that you can go on incredibly long rampages with it. I just got done with a 21 minute long killing spree just by flying up and down the highway blowing up anything I got a lock on.

It's sooooooo worth the effort to steal one of these things. And for everyone saying "There's no place to store it" I don't know what you're talking about. It saved just fine in hangars I bought for Franklin and Michael. Haven't checked on Trevor's yet (since a plane naturally spawns in there and it's only a one-plane hangar) but I'm hoping it'll still be there. If not, Trevor was the 2nd easiest person to steal it with (thanks to the fact that his special ability lets him shrug off tank-shells to the face) so I'll just get another one. :3