The Escapist Presents: Live Chat with Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
SirBryghtside said:
I am soooooooo looking forward to that book now.

He said his inspiration was Terry Pratchett (my 4th favourite author) and Douglas Adams (my 3rd favourite author).

'Cool,' I thought.

Then he said, really unexpectedly, Robert Rankin (my 2nd favourite author), which was really wierd, because he's not very well know.

'Awesome,' I thought. 'What if he says Tom Holt - he's my favourite author! But nah - he's too obscure.'

Then he said Tom Holt.

I screamed with delight.
Tom Holt is very much awash in awesome. Falling Sideways is just brilliant.

Venatio

Sep 6, 2009
I am pre-ordering Yathzee's book, it sounds great and I really want to support the man in his works.

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
Ah, the expressionless face guy, the mystery is finally revealed! That's a fantasticly detailed answer to an obscure question by the way.

Barky13

Apr 7, 2009
I've seen Yahtzee interviewed before and it always strikes me as odd. He acts very different outside of ZP. He talks very slowly. Anyway pretty good interview and I'm really glad you're putting all this stuff up on the site.

ChillinMargrave

May 18, 2009
It seemed kinda awkward, it might just have been me, but he seemed uncomfortable.
Otherwise, slightly dull questions, somewhat interesting knowledge passed my ears, and it finished with a humorously long goodbye, and silly facial expressions.

Obrien Xp

Sep 27, 2009
Great interview, many lulz were had.
GL with the mana bar.

Hey Yahtzee, if your getting into power metal, I'd recommend Sabaton, think Metallica but a bit heavier with more lyrics.

I am so getting that book asap.

I've always wondered who the boring face was!

thatstheguy

Dec 27, 2008
Sheesh, Yahtzee must be very busy. He's making games reviews, writing a novel, and about to run his own bar. Where does he have to breath?

DrJonAngus

Jun 10, 2009
Yahtzee was a really nice guy, but I felt bad because I got an autograph from Graham and Paul, then walked off. I went back rather quickly to apologize and got Yahtzee's autograph. I guess it was because I was nervous that I was able to meet three of my favorite internet stars. Anyways, I was really surprised such a small event had such awesome guests.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
thatstheguy said:
Sheesh, Yahtzee must be very busy. He's making games reviews, writing a novel, and about to run his own bar. Where does he have to breath?
You forgot "playing videogames".
On that note, you can probably add "making videogames".

Yahtzee is quite inspiration in terms of all the work he does; I honestly can't see how there's enough hours in a day for his actual work, let alone all the various hobbies.

Always great to see and hear Yahtzee, even if his on-camera persona is a little stiff.

Strife2GFAQs

Apr 13, 2009
It was Halo Wars, with the Unskippable crossover.

As a JRPG nut, I found Yahtzee's answer to be general but accurate. The amount of actual roleplaying (I hate the term RPG, because every game IS an RPG) in Japanese games is quite minimal. Most of the time, the only actual change is a few writing changes when silent protagonists (a worse gaming sin than QTEs) are the main characters. It's like a miniscule form of moral choice, and it rarely changes the outcome (in Chrono Trigger, Marle goes ape**** for Crono even if he's an ass in the beginning cutscene).

Turn based combat is not as bad as Yahtzee claims, only when Cross Edge was involved. FFXII tried to mix no random encounters with a battle system tying the western style of fighting in the field space and the old school battle meters. The result was a caustic mix of poo. I would think fighting in the field space is possible in a JRPG, and would defintely speed up the game. The biggest problem JRPGs have now is that they frown on customization. They cannot seem to make a sandbox out of their linear path (since they are so in love with story cohesion). Even FFXII tried this, but they lacked the intuition to add more to the game space than "go here, kill this, and come back." That's what turned me off WoW after a few days. The other issue is why the fuck do they always wear the same fucking thing? It's not like they are in spacesuits that monitor oxygen. Some of the twats are wearing codpieces and shoulder pads (Kuja) or skin tight leather jackets (easy one to figure out). It wouldn't kill developers to take hints from sandbox games and allow us to design outfits to wear on different days for fun. I mean, think of all the JRPGs where androgynous teenagers wear open collar shirts into freezing mountains or fluffy dresses in Hell. Alternate costumes are rarely put in games, but I highly doubt JRPG designers couldn't at least take on a color change option. Maybe I want Barret in a marshmallow colored suit and a pink gun that shoots cream puffs. Anyway...

The final issue with JRPGs is that the majority are dipping WAY too far into anime subculture. I do not need to see whiny insecure doofus boys scared of 3-10 girls trying to get in his pants all game. It's because every time that situation presents itself, the doofus thinks boobs are signs of the apocalypse and that having sex results in death. Games like Persona 3 and 4 (while good) suffer from talking too much about stupid **** you could watch in a cartoon, without realizing you need to kill some insanely hard boss or something.

So yeah, Yahtzee can hate on them if he wants.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
My thoughts:

Ultimate game where gameplay > story: Left 4 Dead

Also, Yahtzee, why did you say "Zee Pee" rather than "Zed Pee" when referring to your own show.

Daughterofether

Oct 10, 2009
hmm i want that book.

although i wonder if he knows his plot is already the big twist at the end of one of the hated JRPGs. Although he has an impressively differnt take on it.

also release date in au?