The Escapist Presents: MovieBob Reviews Star Trek

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
eh.....he's kinda critical and unappealing.

Just seem like he was pissing on everything; storyline, character development, and all that jazz.

Sounded like a nerd rant and I'm still left wondering whether I should go see it or not.

I mean Transformers was the shit, but apparently it sucked and destroyed the series, but if this movie does the same thing does that mean its good? It seemed like he was just bitching like a fanboy that didn't get what he wanted.

Maciech42

Apr 28, 2008
Although I disagree with you entirely, its nice to know that the opinion of the film isn't all good. Too much praise for something makes me think that the entire population are just sheep, its nice to have people like you and Yahtzee to knock us down when we are all acting like a bunch of brainless dopes.

Fortesque

Jan 16, 2009
Hang on.. Did he say Eric Banya? If so thats an insult to maybe our 1 of 3 good Aussie Actors.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
WanderFreak said:
I've never understood the criticism of "coincidences." And then to complain about fate and destiny seems kind of contradictory (i.e. looking for something to complain about). You've eliminated coincidental as a reason for their getting together, you've eliminated fate as a reason for them getting together. So what other reason is left to explain how the crew winds up together?
(SPOILERS FOLLOW)

That's a fair point, so allow me to respond. As to "what other reason," that's just it: There really doesn't need to BE some big "whoa, so THAT'S how it happened!!!" reason for these guys to be there. These characters are in what is essentially The Navy serving on what is essentially a Battleship but in space. The only explanation NEEDED for why someone is at a post is because "it's my assigned duty." But instead we have "I'm Sulu, I'm here filling-in for another guy, coincidentally the same day that ALL the other 'name' crew members will show up and also more-or-less 'luck into' their best-known duties" and so on. It's just unecessary extra detail that in a few cases actually serves to undermine the characters - Sulu and McCoy no longer have their jobs because they're exceptional, well-trained men who've worked hard to get where they are; they have them because they were "there and still breathing" when the Enterprise stumbles into a disaster.

And let's not even get INTO the lead-in to the third act: Kirk just happens to be dropped onto the planet where Old Spock is, which contains ONE other guy who JUST HAPPENS to be the only guy who could possibly help them who ALSO JUST HAPPENS to be yet another 'name' crewman. C'mon, now. That's just lazy writing.

And the thing is, there doesn't seem to be a purpose to doing it this way save for the lamest of reasons - i.e. they're under a mandate that the new/old crew has to be a Hip Young Fresh Ready-For-The-CW bunch, so you need all these coincidences to explain why the main posts of this ship are all staffed by what appear to be Freshmen on a field trip ;)

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Fortesque said:
Hang on.. Did he say Eric Banya? If so thats an insult to maybe our 1 of 3 good Aussie Actors.
I'd been under the impression that's how it was pronounced. I'd been saying it "Bah-Nah" for years, and was recently "corrected" that theres a "y" sound in there. Hm. Troubling. Y'know, come to think of it I don't think I've ever heard the fellow pronounce his own name...

Fortesque

Jan 16, 2009
MovieBob said:
Fortesque said:
I'd been under the impression that's how it was pronounced. I'd been saying it "Bah-Nah" for years, and was recently "corrected" that theres a "y" sound in there. Hm. Troubling. Y'know, come to think of it I don't think I've ever heard the fellow pronounce his own name...
With the many years of watching him on Full Frontal on Aussie TV and him playing the classic character Peter, or as he pronounces it Poyta. But i have seen him recently in interviews for his new film Love the Beast, and all the Australian guys have been pronouncing it as Ba-Nah. So it could just be a language thing

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
I've always hated the star trek franchise. Never once managed to watch a single episode all the way through without turning it off repeatedly to massage my temples vigorously and take another couple ibuprofen. My friends dragged me to the movie and I have to say I actually enjoyed it, no pain medication necessary.

mjhhiv

Jun 22, 2008
DrGero said:
I enjoyed the review.

That's really all I can say until I see the movie myself, which I won't do for another few weeks, after the kiddies have cleared out.

Three things I wanted to comment on. From the forums.

One) I'm utterly amazed by how personal some people take things. He doesn't give a favorable review to something you like, so you attack him? I even read a couple comments about punching him. Holy crap people, get a grip.

Two) To people complaining about the quality: It's too bad your free entertainment doesn't match up to what you'd like. It must be incredibly inconvenient to be strapped down and forced to watch, a là Clockwork Orange.

Three) About the people saying "what do you expect," "it's just a popcorn movie," "I just wanted some good special effects," and the like. No. No no no no NO. Do *Not* take that attitude. It may be easier to just settle like that, but the more you do, the more you're telling film makers and companies "I don't care, I'll still watch it" and they'll keep lowering and lowering the bar.

Think Idiocracy. (Not the best movie imo, but it highlights things for some people nicely.)
Thank you. I was about to post the exact same thing, and you've saved me the trouble. Haven't seen the movie either, but I did really enjoy the review, and I hope I see more MovieBob on the Escapist.

Mauller

Apr 28, 2008
This was my first and last MovieBob. Uninspired attempt at reviewing a movie. You seemed set from the get go to hate this movie, so I would hardly call it an unbiased review. Enjoy your rage.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
I have to admit I'm actually (dare I say it) excited to see this movie? I've heard good things about Pegg and the guy that does Bones elsewhere, so I can only hope that it turns out to be decent.

Also, X-Men 3 and Transformers were ok. X-3 needed to not have the Pheonix in it(the rest of it was really sweet), and Transformers needed less preteen humor and less boobs.

...Yes, less boobs. The IQ of the film dropped 20 points every time the girl showed up, and I can't forgive them her for making the other human lead about as interesting as those wise sayings printed on Popsicle sticks.

And please, NO MORE ROBOT URINATION. That... that was just unecessary in every way, shape, and form.

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
never seen any of these reviews just saw his star trek, wolverine, and watchmen reviews and for the most part he is right on the money, that said id love too see another thought provoking deep movie such as watchmen or v for vendetta or a epic movie like 2001 a space odyssey or lord of the rings.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
"One of the worst films of the fucking decade" That made me laugh. Nice review bob, I like your films and I hope you make more episodes.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Wouldukindly said:
DalekJaas said:
That review sucked. Your taste in movies is terrible. Transformers wasnt that bad, at least it was entertaining, which is what a movie is meant to be. What the hell do you expect? Also you have an annoying, grating voice I'm sorry to say. Stop trying to be Yahtzee.
Wow, someone's a little emotional today. A review sucked because you didn't agree with it, that's completely logical. Don't judge it on its merits, instead just randomly trash the reviewer and his opinions.

Excellent review as always, Moviebob. Although I disagree with your opinion and actually enjoyed this film, I still enjoyed this review (it raised some excellent points, especially the ones about the new Kirk).

Also, I don't know who invented midnight screenings, but thank you for giving the geeks one more Star Trek devoted night.
Now children for an important public service anouncement. Don't fee the trolls, that is all.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
DalekJaas said:
That review sucked. Your taste in movies is terrible. Transformers wasnt that bad, at least it was entertaining, which is what a movie is meant to be. What the hell do you expect? Also you have an annoying, grating voice I'm sorry to say. Stop trying to be Yahtzee.
Please keep your fanboy rants to yourself. You may regret them later.

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
DalekJaas said:
Please keep your fanboy rants to yourself. You may regret them later.
How is that in anyway fanboy?? Transformers-is-an-entertaining-movie. I've seen it once on DVD! It seems your ability to tie two and two together is extremely flawed. I can't help it if it was a bad review, and as you may be able to tell from other peoples comments I'm not the only who thought that.

And for something to be a rant, it at least needs either substance or length. Mine had neither. Please keep your fanboy comments to yourself, you may regret them later, or you probably won't. Which is worse.