The Escapist Presents: MovieBob Reviews Terminator: Salvation

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
MovieBob Reviews Terminator: Salvation

MovieBob reviews the latest in the long running Terminator franchise.

Watch Video

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Good review MovieBob. I must admit i had my doubts, but after seeing your review I might go out and see it. Keep up the good work.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Tenmar said:
Wow writers from the Halle Barry Catwoman? My god what did they have to do to get this gig?
In fairness, they ALSO did "Terminator 3," though I'm not looking to credit them with any of the really good parts of that one. Unless one of them is ALSO Kristanna Loken's personal trainer...

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I'm pretty sure the movies writiers have very LITTLE control over how the final product turns out, they are SO ***** smacked around by the Directors/Producers that I'm pretty sure they just write what people tell them to.

Feb 13, 2008
Funny, I actually like it when doom-mongering is proved wrong, possibly not very, but if it's a film I can watch without screaming 'continuity' repeatedly, I'll nip along to see it. :)

jabrwock

Sep 5, 2007
Sipher107 said:
Whats wrong with Pearl Harbor?....I liked it.
It was so EPIC without being very good. Over-hyped, over-acted, etc. That and the whole last section could have been chopped out and not messed up anything.

vede

Dec 4, 2007
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Funny, I actually like it when doom-mongering is proved wrong, possibly not very, but if it's a film I can watch without screaming 'continuity' repeatedly, I'll nip along to see it. :)
But the Terminator series is constructed in such a way that you can do whatever you want with the story and not have to care about continuity, because pretty much anything that happens can be explained away by the time-travel theme.

And I like it.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
I had a feeling it would be alright. Now lets wait for the huge turd of Transformers 2. I did kinda like the first one but it did not call for a sequel.

jabrwock

Sep 5, 2007
vdgmprgrmr said:
the Terminator series is constructed in such a way that you can do whatever you want with the story and not have to care about continuity, because pretty much anything that happens can be explained away by the time-travel theme.
But boy does it make it a brain pretzel sometimes when thinking about how it explains itself."Skynet was created from future Skynet parts, thanks to being destroyed by a guy from the future sent back to stop skynet, but nearly foiled by a skynet robot from the future sent to stop the rebellion that was to cause the death of skynet, which then sends back a robot to protect the son of the guy sent back to stop skynet, from assault by a skynet robot, which then cleans up the timeline so another skynet robot and rebellion skynet robot can duke it out for chicken/egg pole position, all the while skynet is activating". You could get a headache if you think about it too much. ;)

Instead just sit back and enjoy the explosions.

Andy_Panthro

Man of Science
May 3, 2009
I heard that this was supposed to be a quite poor film in general. I'll be waiting to see it on DVD I think.

My favourite of the series will remain the first. The second was good, but had declined a bit in quality, and the third was not very good. I quite liked the first series of the sarah connor chronicles though, but apparently series 2 isn't quite as good.

Cracked: 5 reasons the terminator series makes no sense [http://www.cracked.com/article_17390_5-reasons-terminator-franchise-makes-no-goddamn-sense.html]

Guardian film review: Terminator Salvation [http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/may/21/terminator-salvation-christian-bale]

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Hm. I have to thank you MovieBob: as a hardcore Terminator Fanboy (I snuck in to see the first one in the theater when I was 14), I was ultraconcerned that this was going to be complete dross; I'm perfectly fine in going to see a Terminator movie that is big on spectacle and not necessarily on story, as long as it actually gets the spectacle right. Hopefully, there will be an 'unrated director's cut' of T:S coming out some day that addresses the shortcomings you mentioned-- or at least restores the Moon Bloodgood nude scene!

As a side note, I don't think we'll see many huge-budget highly complex action movie anymore: Hollywood is convinced that the money should be spent on big bangs, bright flashes, and loud noises...

...and the sad thing is, they're probably right. You think the movie-going public today really wants to strain their brains considering time travel and causality loops?

EDIT: I realized something just now-- the reasoning behind the PG-13 rating is probably so they can cultivate a younger fanbase. I guess they're getting tired of us 30-somethings and our money.

Aramax

Sep 27, 2007
It's good to have you MovieBob... I have stop counting the days I have been waiting for someone to speak out against those nasty holywood productions. With you around, I doubt those "Up to no good rascals who wants our money without making the extra effort to actually entertain us for what we payed for but don't really care because they know we're going to go see their movies anyway since we loved the other movies from that particular franchise" are going to be able to keep doing what they do.

Allâhu Akbar!

josh797

Nov 20, 2007
good review. better than a lot of the "professional" reviewers on rotten tomatoes. they can go piss off, no sense of a good movie with them. 33% my ass. anyway, yeah the writing blew chunks, but the story was actually impressive. redo this movie with some decent writers and you got a movie on par with the originals. i was particularly impressed with the acting. shame they wasted the actors on those shitty lines. i couldnt believe that night scene with marcus and the pilot. i actually laughed when she said " im cold" as she sits next to a campfire. "keep me warm, the body heat", was equally disgusting. oh well. good movie all in all, but i was hoping for a stronger climax and a better script.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
The terminator franchise has never made any sense to me. I don't even get how T2 with his "liquid metalness" could get through the time machine to begin with.

I guess my point is that I won't be seeing this for the story, despite how I think it's kinda dumb that there is now a hive mind controlling the bots.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
Moviebob pretty much hit the nail on the head with this one. The Dialogue was mind numbing at points. Then again, I wasn't watching a terminator movie for the dialogue.