The Escapist Presents: MovieBob Reviews Terminator: Salvation

jabrwock

Sep 5, 2007
MovieBob said:
Of those two above-mentioned sets, which one do you honestly think is more interesting? Compelling? Worth building a movie around? There's an intergalactic civil war going on between ginormous alien robots who can be hiding anywhere in the guise of heavy machinery... With THAT going on, why the HELL would I care whether or not Indy Jr. is going to prove his manhood to Interchangeable Vacant-Eyed Maxim Chick #5629? And more importantly, why the HELL is that the "A" story?
Dawson's Creek, with guest stars, the Transformers. ;)

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=241

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
LazerLuger said:
"I hate Star Trek but Terminator Salvation is worth watching!"
Nah, they're about the same. Both worth watching, decent visuals, some good acting bits but terrible, terrible scripts that reduce the whole project down to strictly average. If anything it's a credit to the respective directors that they both made not-terrible movies out of some really, REALLY bad material.

Incidentally, Devin Faraci over at CHUD has an article up about how different this film was from it's ORIGINAL (pre-Christian Bale star-vehicle) script, which is pretty enlightening. Highlights: Conner isn't in it until the very end, Marcus is the real hero, HUGE twist ending, and EVERYTHING we've been told about Skynet in the other three films including the "death to all humans" part has been a lie. Definately read this:
http://chud.com/articles/articles/19577/1/EXCLUSIVE-WHAT-WENT-WRONG-WITH-TERMINATOR-SALVATION/Page1.html

Mr0llivand3r

Aug 10, 2008
The movie was great, and thought i agree with what you praised, i think you were being very harsh on things which were only slightly negative.

And you're not Yahtzee. Stop trying to be.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
Alright, that does it.

New rule: anyone who makes this statement from now on automatically loses at life.

I'm sorry but it's gone past stupid and into "yo momma was a flatworm" territory. Stop comparing everyone who does amusing review videos to Ben Croshaw and maybe, just maybe, you can evolve into a higher life form. You lose the ability to regenerate body parts when injured but gain the ability for cognitive thought. Life is full of trade-offs.

Lightbunny

Jun 15, 2007
the antithesis said:
Alright, that does it.

New rule: anyone who makes this statement from now on automatically loses at life.

I'm sorry but it's gone past stupid and into "yo momma was a flatworm" territory. Stop comparing everyone who does amusing review videos to Ben Croshaw and maybe, just maybe, you can evolve into a higher life form. You lose the ability to regenerate body parts when injured but gain the ability for cognitive thought. Life is full of trade-offs.
Croshaw's Law?

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
Lightbunny said:
Croshaw's Law?
Something like that, but it needs more punch. How about the Croshaw Effect. Ah, yes. That's the stuff. I can just imagine saying "Stop trying to be Yahtzee" and then space and time warps around them and they devolve into the Goombas from the Super Mario Bros. movies with the silly, tiny lizard heads. Genius!

OH NOES! THE CROSHAW EFFECT!!11!

DarthHK

Jan 3, 2009
I admit, Bob, I'm pleasantly surprised you didn't give this the same dish of fanboy rage you did to Star Trek.

Well, after about half a dozen of reviews giving "average" verdicts for this movie (ser-based, of course. "Professionals" can be all well and good, but I prefer hearing what the actual consumer thinks.) I suppose it'll make a good mindless action movie to cool-off from finals.

VZLANemesis

Jan 29, 2009
Sipher107 said:
VZLANemesis said:
Sipher107 said:
Whats wrong with Pearl Harbor?....I liked it.
You haven't EVER EVER watched Team America right? ^^
Good Job Moviebob. Always good justified opinions, love your reviews.

Yeah i have actually
why?
Pearl Harbor song...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pM8PrqY5Rg

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Of what I hear it's a decent action movie, but a bad Terminator movie. It's important to keep those two separate. It's interesting to see a Hollywood movie get the "Hollywood-treatment". Most notably Skynet, the faceless, voiceless computer suddenly being some kind of post-apocalyptic Bond-villain.

deletemeplease107

Oct 15, 2008
VZLANemesis said:
Sipher107 said:
VZLANemesis said:
Sipher107 said:
You haven't EVER EVER watched Team America right? ^^
Good Job Moviebob. Always good justified opinions, love your reviews.

Yeah i have actually
why?
Pearl Harbor song...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pM8PrqY5Rg

Aha! I remember that!

Awesome song :p

13lackfriday

Feb 10, 2009
Wow, if it even holds up as a movie in its own right, I'm definitely seeing it.

Glad the actors play their parts well (at least as well as the script will allow) and that the action is at the very least, compelling.

IgneusMaeror

May 27, 2009
That actually made me want to go watch it at a theatre. The special effects flying around my ears might entertain me more than watching it on ... umm ... a DVD. At my computer. Which has a DVD drive.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Great. Now whenever I ever think of the Terminator movies again I'll see Dr. Wily as the leader of Skynet.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
I thought they could have had better dialog and more of that chick with less cloths (she does it in every other movie she is in, including Harry Potter)

Nerples

May 7, 2008
Dear god i hope he was being sarcastic about equilibrium. If he wasn't, he has gone way down in my books.

reincarN8ed

Mar 11, 2009
jabrwock said:
Sipher107 said:
It was so EPIC without being very good. Over-hyped, over-acted, etc. That and the whole last section could have been chopped out and not messed up anything.
Fuck that! It's one of the greatest WWII flicks out there! Not as good as Saving Private Ryan, but up there.

jabrwock

Sep 5, 2007
reincarN8ed said:
Fuck that! It's one of the greatest WWII flicks out there! Not as good as Saving Private Ryan, but up there.
Let me guess, you're a fan of U-571 too, aren't you?

Nerples said:
Dear god i hope he was being sarcastic about equilibrium. If he wasn't, he has gone way down in my books.
See his review of Children of Men and V for Vendetta. He considers Equilibrium "the ultimate New Millenium negative-utopia actioner".

I myself thought the whole concept of combining gun play with martial arts was f'ing awesome (pistol-wielding monks!?!?!?). It's Fahrenheit 451, with gun battles, and a twist on population control (drugs instead of information control). Throw in some Orwellian ("the state knows best"), good intentions gone horribly wrong, and while at times slow, makes for a film that tackles some serious issues, punctuated by ACTION! It's not the greatest movie ever, but it IS one of the better "post apocalyptic" films I've seen that didn't fall into silliness as soon as the bad guys wearing hockey equipment show up.