The Escapist Presents: MovieBob Reviews Terminator: Salvation

Syllvenwood

Sep 11, 2008
Dalisclock said:
Salvation was....okay.

My issues with it:

-The whole "New guy is a terminator without knowing it" would be a lot cooler if it hadn't been given away in the trailer.

-The Human heart symbolism was incredibly heavy handed. And no....I didn't see every plot "twist" invovling that coming a mile away....particulary the one at the end.

My major gripe:

-I know they changed the past from all the time travel shenaginans in the previous movies, but throughout most of the movie, I kept thinking of Kyle Reece saying

Kyle Reese:.... Most of us were rounded up, put in camps for orderly disposal.
[Pulls up his right sleeve, exposing a mark]
Kyle Reese: This is burned in by laser scan. Some of us were kept alive... to work... loading bodies into dumpsters and incinerators. The disposal units ran night and day. We were that close to going out forever. But there was one man who taught us to fight, to storm the wire of the camps, to smash those metal motherfuckers into junk. He turned it around. He brought us back from the brink. His name is Connor. John Connor. Your son, Sarah, your unborn son.

That coupled with the few snippets of the future gives a much different picture of what I expected from this movie.

The original and even the 2nd shows a rather desperate humanity, hopelessly outclassed, living in tunnels, herded into concentration camps, paranoid of terminator infiltration, tired and hungary. John Conner ends up inspiring them to rise up and make a desperate fight, eventually, through long, hard struggle, finally winning and prompting all the time traveling. You know, a really epic, from nothing to finally victorious struggle.

The new movie....well, humanity doesn't really seem that desperate. I mean, they've got at least one airbase with transports, A-10's, a small fleet of helicopters, not to mention all the infrastruture, supplies and technical support to maintain them. Oh, and electricity and computer screens.
THat's a far cry from living in shitty tunnels and dodging giant tanks all the time. Hell, the fact Skynet can't even locate a friggen airbase(despite the fact skynet probably has satellites available) implies it's kinda stupid. Hell, after all those flares and explosions at their base, skynet apparently never bothered to send a couple HK's to investigate.

And instead of John being the leader? Well, he's just the head of a local base.....after his officer in charge gets blown up and playing second fiddle to a group of douchbags on a sub(who are apparently really surprised that skynet figures out where they are despite their continued broadcasting).

It's not a good sign when I'm watching the movie and having nostalgia for the first two before the movies even over.

On the bright side, I was rather pleased that the T-800 takes at least as much punishment, if not more, then the terminator in the original before going down. I was beginning to wonder when the terminators in most of the movie went down with just a dozen assualt rifle bullets.
Well there are a few points your missing which is what is causing some of your probs. The 1st 2 terminater movies cause the skynet that is origionally known to cease to be, the skynet that does't come to be is now completly different leading to some completly different choices when dealing with humans. Also this movie is a direct continuance of the tv series and with the turk being downloaded into the terminater creating a brother AI to skynet, this gives skynet knowledge of timeline interference, and will prob prompt it to create time travel to try and stop the resistance even though its already happened, kinda. Also the future JC has been sending teams back to prepare for JD which is a MAJOR change, this allows humanity to rise right from JD with knowledge and supplies to fight a war they would otherwise has been decimated in. As far as the Ts going down so fast, remember that JC grew up fighting the terminaters so pretty likely that he figured out a form of ammunition that would be effective and the resistance is using it.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Syllvenwood said:
pletly different leading to some completly different choices when dealing with humans. Also this movie is a direct continuance of the tv series and with the turk being downloaded into the terminater creating a brother AI to skynet, this gives skynet knowledge of timeline interference, and will prob prompt it to create time travel to try and stop the resistance even though its already happened, kinda. Also the future JC has been sending teams back to prepare for JD which is a MAJOR change, this allows humanity to rise right from JD with knowledge and supplies to fight a war they would otherwise has been decimated in. As far as the Ts going down so fast, remember that JC grew up fighting the terminaters so pretty likely that he figured out a form of ammunition that would be effective and the resistance is using it.
Okay, I get the whole "New Timeline" thing due to messing around with time, even though I've only seen the pilot of the TV series and really didn't feel a tremendous(read: any) urge to continue watching(Other then Summer Glau). That still doesn't explain how Skynet is so dense it can't find an airbase capable of sustaining a small airforce(even after they set off a bunch of flares) and takes so long to find a submarine that continually transmits.

And new timeline or not, I still like the desperate "tunnel rats with lazers" depiction of the future from the first two a lot more then the resistance shown in this movie.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Sipher107 said:
VZLANemesis said:
Sipher107 said:
Whats wrong with Pearl Harbor?....I liked it.
You haven't EVER EVER watched Team America right? ^^
Good Job Moviebob. Always good justified opinions, love your reviews.

Yeah i have actually
why?
Other then the fact Pearl Harbor sucks, there was a much better Pearl Harbor movie made a about 30 years ago called "Tora! Tora! Tora!" which at least tried depict the attack accurately and didn't have a love triangle that nobody cares about.

Nemo from Utopia

Apr 9, 2009
i dont care what anyone says, im looking forward to seeing salvation. if for nothing more than christian bale in all his glory. besides, even rubbish action films are generally good for a thrill.

oh and equillibrium was awsome if only for the gun fights and pearl harbor was ok but not great and U-571 is a travesty of film making which makes braveheart look historically accurate (i actually enjoyed braveheart though).

Syllvenwood

Sep 11, 2008
Dalisclock said:
Syllvenwood said:
pletly different leading to some completly different choices when dealing with humans. Also this movie is a direct continuance of the tv series and with the turk being downloaded into the terminater creating a brother AI to skynet, this gives skynet knowledge of timeline interference, and will prob prompt it to create time travel to try and stop the resistance even though its already happened, kinda. Also the future JC has been sending teams back to prepare for JD which is a MAJOR change, this allows humanity to rise right from JD with knowledge and supplies to fight a war they would otherwise has been decimated in. As far as the Ts going down so fast, remember that JC grew up fighting the terminaters so pretty likely that he figured out a form of ammunition that would be effective and the resistance is using it.
Okay, I get the whole "New Timeline" thing due to messing around with time, even though I've only seen the pilot of the TV series and really didn't feel a tremendous(read: any) urge to continue watching(Other then Summer Glau). That still doesn't explain how Skynet is so dense it can't find an airbase capable of sustaining a small airforce(even after they set off a bunch of flares) and takes so long to find a submarine that continually transmits.

And new timeline or not, I still like the desperate "tunnel rats with lazers" depiction of the future from the first two a lot more then the resistance shown in this movie.
One thing i have been thinking and i REALLY hope they do. Since T1 they have been trying to change the future, i think it would be cool as heck if all the "changing" they do ends up creating the exact future Kyle described in the 1st movie. No matter how many times they do it, i love the time travel theme where by changing the future ends up in creating the very one you tried to destroy. We will just have to wait for the next one and see how they go with it. Oohh and watch the series its not bad.