The Escapist Presents: Pokewalking with The Escapist

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Awww your dog is so cute, also I didn't know The Escapist headquarters was that large.

Sorry my post is a bit off topic

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
its gar not guy. also cant you just shake it in you hand for 5 or 6 minutes every day, because you need 20000000 steps to unlock every in the pokewalker

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
Maybe John Funk can use a hyperactive kid like how Gabe and Tycho did. [http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/3/17/]

Shane Hamstra

Amateur Bounty Hunter
Jan 5, 2009
The Rockerfly said:
Awww your dog is so cute, also I didn't know The Escapist headquarters was that large.

Sorry my post is a bit off topic
Thanks, his name is Jasper, he likes long walks in the grass, getting up way too early, and helping me with work experiments.

Also, that building is just a front. Escapist HQ is in a bunker 2 miles underground ;)

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
Baby Tea said:
Susan Arendt said:
I would think the movement of the fan would be far too smooth. There has to be a back-and-forth-ness to the movement in order for it to register.
What about taking out one of the blades to make it lopsided?
Then it would be all...shakey.

Or! Wrapping it in something soft and dangling it over a fan, so the fan hits it over and over!
It's probably only sensitive in one axis. (Up/Down) If it's as cheaply made as I'm thinking, your best bet would be to rig up a rotating cam system. Link [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cam]

It is also likely that it's not very sensitive to motion in the first place (built cheaply). The absolute peak of cheating efficiency would require a 555 timer circuit [http://www.sentex.ca/~mec1995/gadgets/555/555.html] and a bit of creative engineering. But, you could get all your unlocks in less than a day with such a method. (555 timers max out @ 180Khz, but I'm guessing it would only work up to 60Hz with the Pokewalker.)

You'd also void your warranty and possibly bring the wrath of Nintendo. Fair warning.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Good to know. If I ever do decide to get HeartGold or SoulSilver I'll just attach the Pokewalker to my windsheild wiper.

Redemption003

Apr 19, 2009
jpakaferrari said:
I suggest using the laboratory vortex to shape it up. You just hold it on there for a bit with your hand and push down and it vibrates really fast. Should shake it up quite nicely. That is if you have access to one possibly in a biology laboratory.

I am so trying this when I finally get the game (stupid EU release dates). Getting it first thing tomorrow.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Bwahaha, that was hilarious. Taping to an office worker on an exercise ball...!

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
CaptainCrunch said:
DarkGargoyle said:
I think the restless leg test might have been compromised. As I recall, these devices are easiest to cheat in a vertical orientation, so attaching it to the ankle rather than the top of the foot might have different results.
I'd wager a guess that the pedometer in the Pokewalker is little more than a freely swinging switch. Most simple pedometers operate on this principle, and as such require the contact be maintained for a brief time to log the step.

Meaning, restless leg more likely failed because it was too fast. It would be the same for the mechanical paint can shaker.
If you tap your heel instead of just shaking your leg it works. Even if the pokewalker is in your pocket, it will pick up the movement. It worked for me, anyways.

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
I just walk to campus. A half-hour walk, both ways, gets me more watts than I know what to do with.

I suspect the Pokewalker was designed for fat kids.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
I suffer from restless leg syndrome so my only problem will be hiding it from the people I work with. I've also got 7 hours of orchestra on Saturday which will mean my leg will be bouncing up and down to keep time so should be able to get some xp there as well.

Great video though. I knew there was a reason I came to the Escapist.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
yanipheonu said:
Stopped watching as soon as you slaughtered the pronunciation of Gyarados.
Fun fact. I worked at the Pokemon Center in New York City for a summer, and that's where I picked up "Guy-ra-dos."

sune26

Not sure what to put here
Apr 13, 2009
It seems that all you need is way too much spare time, then you will eventually figure something out.