The Escapist Presents: Pokewalking with The Escapist

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
I'm glad that im not the only one that thought about the paint shacker thing.

OT: why is your poke walker black?

Flamestorm06

Mar 23, 2010
Has anyone tried attaching a pokewalker to the end of a string and practicing raving with it (glowstick tricks)? Granted you'd have to be careful not to smash it to bits, but it seems like that would get a bunch of steps

edit: and the dog is adorable. Australian Cattle dog?

infernovolver

Jun 11, 2008
Hahahaha. Pokemon don't evolve, learn moves, or get EV's in the pokewalker. Nice GUYRADOS.

About the way to pronounce it, it's Gair-uh-dose. Or at least that's how my friends and I pronounce it.

My methods of getting steps;
-Actually walking. An hour or two spent out walking somewhere can net you 10k+ steps. I first kept it in my pocket and it was pretty effective, moreso when I tried attaching it to a strap on the side of my pants, and best when attached to my shoelaces.
-Attached to the strap on the side of my pants while playing drums on Rock Band 2. It'd probably be more effective on one's wrists though. Unless you play a lot of extreme metal on it. I've gotten thousands of steps from continuous play.
-Moving one's leg up and down with it attached to the strap on the side of your pants, or in the pocket of the mobile leg (preferably the extra pocket in cargo pants). I've gotten over 10k steps doing this for about an hour at school.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Virgil said:
The Rockerfly said:
Awww your dog is so cute, also I didn't know The Escapist headquarters was that large.
We have an office in one of the corners of one of the floors of that building. The whole thing isn't ours ;)

Symantec has the entire first floor though.
Damn I was seriously hoping that the escapist was an idea set in the mind of a video gamer in the future.
I suppose the building will have to do for the time

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
My friend put it in a plastic bag and into a loaded washing machine, and it actually worked really well.

Also, the Escapist headquarters seems really big.

Namaztak

Feb 28, 2009
Me and my friends had pedometers once for some stupid reason in school and we clipped them to the side of our shoes by the ankle and tapped our feet while we worked. The incessant clicking drove our teacher nuts but it worked a lot better than taping it to the bridge of that dude's foot seemed to.

Shane Hamstra

Amateur Bounty Hunter
Jan 5, 2009
Flamestorm06 said:
Has anyone tried attaching a pokewalker to the end of a string and practicing raving with it (glowstick tricks)? Granted you'd have to be careful not to smash it to bits, but it seems like that would get a bunch of steps

edit: and the dog is adorable. Australian Cattle dog?
He's a mix, from what we can tell yellow lab and hound-ish, but until I get the DNA test won't know for sure.

metacree

Aug 3, 2009
Enigmers said:
I got about a thousand steps from three or four songs of Rock Band, which says "Yo dawg, we herd you like games, so we put a game in your game so you can play while you play."

I also get about 2000 steps daily from walking the dog.
This! I can get 10,000 steps in one session of rock band. I strap it to the arm that does the hi hat.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
This was freaking AMAZING!
I hope you guys do more stuff like this in the future :D

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
To people who are asking why the Pokewalker is black: press copies of the game came with a nice little holder with the Silver or Gold cover pokemon drawn on it.

Flamestorm06

Mar 23, 2010
Ah, something I wanted to do last Saturday but lacked tape. Tape the pokewalker to the side of your leg, then go have some fun with DDR.

IHateDaManSkirt

Nov 21, 2009
Step #7: Assemble a Lego Mindstorms robot that will move the Pokewalker back and forth. Tape the Pokewalker on and turn the robot on. With my own Mindstorms kit averaging at about 70-150 RPM, you should get some good results. Note: For added fun use solar panels. Teehee

undyingdh777

Red Lantern
Jun 25, 2008
what i do with mine is i have a strap on it and just spin it around. that gets the job done pretty well.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
Shamus Young said:
Me, out loud, at the two minute mark:

"TAPE IT TO JORDAN DEAM!"

Then at three and a half minutes, you actually did.

I laughed.
This is the single greatest use for Jordan Deam I've seen in a long time, ever since November 09's Make Jordan Look Even CREEPIER [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.156681-Soap-MacTavish-Undergoes-Facial-Reconstructive-Surgery#3860188] Contest. But, even then, it's still not as effective as taping it to a car's windscreen wipers.

Another reason for me to get a car sooner... as well as a Pokewalker... Bit redundant otherwise.

sonic232

Apr 12, 2009
I'm personally in college right now, and I keep it attached to me as I go between classes. Without any additional shaking, I easily get the recommended 10000 steps a day (200 days of 10000 steps gets you the final route, as long as you don't spend ANY of the watts you get other than the gifts you receive)