The Escapist Presents: Preview: Xbox Dashboard Update 2010

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
RamirezDoEverything said:
Daystar Clarion said:
I can't be the only person who never uses any the stuff like zune etc. I have a TV, why would I need that stuff?
No your not, I dont use zune, netflix, last fm., etc.

BUT I am excited for the new Espn feature. Hopefully (doubting though) things will be free and not cost a fucking arm and a leg to watch one thing one time.
ESPN? Completely free. Well, you have to have an Xbox Live Gold account, but other than that? Free.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
This update makes me sad; NOTHING I will use in this lol.

I just WISH they would allow you to use the XBL Party with Xbox Originals. I can hope, right?

Apr 28, 2008
FactualSquirrel said:
Looks fairly interesting, although nothing mind blowingly awesome.

Also, for the record, Bow ties are awesome.
As are Fez's. As demonstrated by one Morocco Mole.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
As far as i'm aware, us UK users don't even get Netflix. I've never seen it on my xbox anyway and unless they're bringing that across the pond to be be available for us tea-drinking ragamuffins then this just seems like a pointless update that bulks out the dashboard, to me. Oh well, i was the same when the avatars update was released. I still miss the dashboard 'blades' and aren't really a big fan of user avatars at all, to be honest. I don't use Zune and i'm not in to sports so i won't get any use out of the ESPN thing - i do my multimedia stuff on my computer. A games console is a games console in my eyes, not a makeshift dvd player / pc / ipod / whatever else.

Maybe if us Europeans get a bit more access to some of these features i might just change my tone a bit. I remain doubtful.

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
Didn't they say they were gonna update the avatar appearances as well? Wonder when that'll come around

Alade

Ego extravaganza
Aug 10, 2008
Anyone else having problems with the stream? Displays an error saying "200, Stream not found, NetStream.Play.StreamNotFound, clip: '[Clip] 'http://video2.themis-media.com/682f18bc00fc4120178fce1215c18c92/mp4_hq/escapist/the-escapist-presents/68757c25ecf9892959b1fe49035169b0.mp4''" for me...

EDIT: Apparently it's fine on standard quality...

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Anyone else mildly amused by the fact that in the credits it tells us that John Funk is narrating for Susan? :p

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
Wait wait...Written and Narrated by John Funk? Well done John, channeling Susan like nobody's business!

Meh...I'm in Ireland, we get none of it, well the crisper edges and avatar update, but that's about it.

[EDIT] Ninja'd

Starke said:
Anyone else mildly amused by the fact that in the credits it tells us that John Funk is narrating for Susan? :p

oranger

May 27, 2008
That OS looks familiar...in fact it reminds me strongly of my PS3.
Just with much bigger icons. Shortbus sized icons. Sorry, couldn't help that bit.

SpaceMedarotterX

Jun 24, 2010
Keep in mind even if it doesn't have stuff you will use (I personally wouldn't use any of this even if I did shill out for Gold) there are still plenty of people who will. So it looks good for anyone interested in that stuff, which is never a bad thing.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Yes, way to go Microsoft, update and make stuff better that I can't get on my xbox.

This makes me a sad panda...or random bear....ah wahtever:p

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
Hmm....the side to side looks retarded. It was way better "fading into the background". This is a step backwards....not forwards. It would be smart of Microsoft to actually let us CHOOSE what direction we want the panels to go instead.

Otherwise could not give a damn for some stupid sports junk. I hate sports. The Zune channel I was hoping that they would just remove that and go back to the older way of playing videos.

Fisk777

Aug 2, 2010
Hooray more additions that have nothing to do with actual games! I think the new blocky reskin is a downgrade honestly.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
I like the look, but won't be able to use any of the cool features 'cos I'm in the UK. At least, I know for sure we don't get Netflix. I'm assuming the ESPN and Zune Music things won't work here either - they don't sell Zune music players here, so it'd be a bit redundant to give us access to their music store, etc.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
ESPN will be awesome... although the way my rig is set up I can actually watch TV while talking to people on Xbox Live, so if I get NHL Center Ice... the ESPN thing will be unnecessary.

TimeLord75

Sep 3, 2009
Interesting. The credits say the piece was narrated by John Funk. Hey...has anyone ever seen John Funk & Susan Arendt in the same room at the same time...? o_O

Also--I had no idea Susan Arendt was a fellow Whovian! Awesome! :D