The Escapist Presents: Preview: Xbox Dashboard Update 2010

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Preview: Xbox Dashboard Update 2010

Susan Arendt previews the next update for the Xbox Live Dashboard.

Watch Video

Dec 14, 2009
I can't be the only person who never uses any the stuff like zune etc. I have a TV, why would I need that stuff?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Daystar Clarion said:
I can't be the only person who never uses any the stuff like zune etc. I have a TV, why would I need that stuff?
Because it's shocking how often what you want to see isn't on TV. Or maybe you missed last week's episode (or last season) and want to catch up. Etc, etc, etc.

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
I'm a broke college student. I don't pay for cable or satellite TV. I get all my content either through streaming Netflix or the video marketplace. There *are* people who use it.

Dec 14, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Because it's shocking how often what you want to see isn't on TV. Or maybe you missed last week's episode (or last season) and want to catch up. Etc, etc, etc.
I can understand that, but alot of the time you can access shows you've missed online, without having to pay for it. I also have sky + which lets me record entire seasons to watch whenever I want. What's the Amercian equivalent, Teevo or something?

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Hardly what I'd call an overhaul, but that's certainly for the better. I mean, why fix what isn't broke, right?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Susan Arendt said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Well i live in the UK so the service is limited
Daystar Clarion said:
Susan Arendt said:
Daystar Clarion said:
I can understand that, but alot of the time you can access shows you've missed online, without having to pay for it. I also have sky + which lets me record entire seasons to watch whenever I want. What's the Amercian equivalent, Teevo or something?
Are these services even avialble in the UK? The Zune services that is. I know the Zune device isn't even availble here but i've NEVER heard of anyone i know using the zune online service on x-box.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Susan Arendt said:
Daystar Clarion said:
I can understand that, but alot of the time you can access shows you've missed online, without having to pay for it. I also have sky + which lets me record entire seasons to watch whenever I want. What't the Amercian equivalent, Teevo or something.
This. We have TVs, Sky+ and regular internet. These things basically serve all of our needs without having to pay extras. That Zune smart player also just sounds identical to Last fm and we won't get ESPN either.

EDIT: I dislike this new dashboard overall, it just seems too clunky compared to what we have now. If it's not an optional update then it just seems like this is all for Kinect and that isn't fair on regular users.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Daystar Clarion said:
Susan Arendt said:
Daystar Clarion said:
True, but lots of folks - like me - have no interest in watching TV and movies on their computer. And you're right, TiVo lets you record entire seasons, but it isn't perfect. Also, there can be conflicts - three shows I like all happen to air Monday night at 10, and DVRs can only record two programs at a time.

So, do you absolutely need the Xbox video service? No, of course not, you can replicate everything it does in other ways. It's all a matter of your personal needs and how you like to watch your stuff.

Dec 14, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Susan Arendt said:
Daystar Clarion said:
True, but lots of folks - like me - have no interest in watching TV and movies on their computer. And you're right, TiVo lets you record entire seasons, but it isn't perfect. Also, there can be conflicts - three shows I like all happen to air Monday night at 10, and DVRs can only record two programs at a time.

So, do you absolutely need the Xbox video service? No, of course not, you can replicate everything it does in other ways. It's all a matter of your personal needs and how you like to watch your stuff.
Ah yes, I forgot about TV conflicts. That's why I love all these +1 hour channels we get. It just seems odd to me to pay for something that I can get for free (and legally, I might add. Pirates can fuck the hell off).

Apr 28, 2008
Why it took them so long to implement an alphabetical search feature into Netflix is beyond me.

Also, typo in the credits. It said it was written and narrated by John Funk. Not sure if he wrote it, but I'm pretty sure he didn't narrate :p

FlashHero

Apr 3, 2010
I like a few of the new features but i am gonna miss the old way windows looked..the ones you move left and right at the main menu...im a fan of blending not crisp definite lines..it just looks bad to me..i'll get over it though.

bojac6

Oct 15, 2009
Irridium said:
Why it took them so long to implement an alphabetical search feature into Netflix is beyond me.

Also, typo in the credits. It said it was written and narrated by John Funk. Not sure if he wrote it, but I'm pretty sure he didn't narrate :p
Way to say exactly what I was going to say, both on the Netflix front and about John Funk seemingly undergoing a few changes.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Scrumpmonkey said:
Are these services even avialble in the UK? The Zune services that is. I know the Zune device isn't even availble here but i've NEVER heard of anyone i know using the zune online service on x-box.
I don't think they are right at this moment, but they will be by the end of the year. MS is pushing their Zune video and music services out to several European countries to go along with the Xbox update and their new Windows Mobile 7 phones. UK and France get the better set of features. Here's the press release with all the details [http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2010/sep10/09-20ZuneIntlPR.mspx], if you're interested.

I've never used their video on demand stuff because I get enough video to watch between my DVR, Netflix, and Hulu, but I really like the Zune music service. My wife and I share it, and $15 a month for unlimited downloads and 10 'free' purchases is a good deal for us. It'll be nice to have the Xbox able to stream the music directly.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Daystar Clarion said:
Susan Arendt said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Susan Arendt said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Ah yes, I forgot about TV conflicts. That's why I love all these +1 hour channels we get. It just seems odd to me to pay for something that I can get for free (and legally, I might add. Pirates can fuck the hell off).

I get that. My comfort is more important to me than the buck or two the episode will cost, so I'm happy to pony up the cash so that I can watch my stuff on a nice, big screen. Your mileage may vary.

And yeah, we know about the goof in the credits and are fixing now. :) Thanks for watching all the way to the end, though!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Virgil said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
I don't think they are right at this moment, but they will be by the end of the year. MS is pushing their Zune video and music services out to several European countries to go along with the Xbox update and their new Windows Mobile 7 phones. UK and France get the better set of features. Here's the press release with all the details [http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2010/sep10/09-20ZuneIntlPR.mspx], if you're interested.

I've never used their video on demand stuff because I get enough video to watch between my DVR, Netflix, and Hulu, but I really like the Zune music service. My wife and I share it, and $15 a month for unlimited downloads and 10 'free' purchases is a good deal for us. It'll be nice to have the Xbox able to stream the music directly.
Dam you and your legit use of Hulu, im forced to seek.... other sources of HD content on my PC or go through the painfully slow process of using a VPN, but i digress into my less reputable activities online. I've been slow to take up most of microsofts services becuase they never seem complete this side of the pond, there always seems to be FAR superior intergration over there in the USA. I guess i might consider using my 360 as a media hub properly if we get parity of service but at the moment it all feels a bit incomplete.

They are in such flux and i find that i can use so many other serives that i've never felt the need to take up most of what may or may not be on offer.

FactualSquirrel

Dec 10, 2009
Looks fairly interesting, although nothing mind blowingly awesome.

Also, for the record, Bow ties are awesome.

RamirezDoEverything

Jan 31, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
No your not, I dont use zune, netflix, last fm., etc.

BUT I am excited for the new Espn feature. Hopefully (doubting though) things will be free and not cost a fucking arm and a leg to watch one thing one time.