The Escapist Presents: Star Wars: The Old Republic

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
chemicalreaper said:
It was a nice video, well edited, and interesting.
...but you didn't ask the question that's on everyone's mind (or my mind at least) -- when's Battlefront III coming out?
Never the studio folded. Her'es the Wiki [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Battlefront]

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I will end up eventually playing ToR. its without question.

I however am really not a fan of the star wars franchise. I like elements of it, but it really doesnt do much for me personally.

I will be playing, expecting that the "story pillar" Bioware has been talking up for the last year will be something that will finally change the nature of MMO gaming across the board (although, its not like FFXI didnt already do it, so they need to quit talking it up like its an absolute revelation)

Heres what I expect from ToR. First and foremost the game play mechanics while better than the average MMO are still going to be an MMO equivilent to the queue system from Kotor, which in my honest opinion wasnt that great.

Secondly, the story elements will be alot more vast than people generally expected. However, given the nature of it being an MMO, I suspect that alot of the "end game world story" will prevent someone who perfers to play solo to fully feel in favor of basically requiring leaning on MMO conventions of having to have large groups to do anything of merit.

Lastly, I expect some will end up dissapointed. My best friend is a complete and utter star wars fanboy (though he will never admit it) As well as a role player. I already know full well that he is massively going to be let down. ToR will be big. It may or may not be a wow killer, but its going to have a sizable population. With such, the same cliches that players created in other MMOs they will apply to ToR. Griefers, gear whores, raiding, turning a game into a secondary career, trolling in chat, ect ect ect. I really do not forsee ToR finally being the game that convinces large groups of people to roleplay, and by the same measure I fully expect that roleplayers will be jabbed at in ToR by non role players the same way they have been in every MMO to date, as well as in real life (see LARP and Ren Faire)

All that said, I do sense its going to be big, and popular, and I expect it to mostly deliver on what bioware is promising. I will play it, because it IS going to be the next milestone in the history of MMOs one way or another. I just wish the MMO genera wasnt so slow to evolve.

Surtharion

Aug 11, 2010
Im not excited for this game one bit, Starwars mmo's have been done before. starwars galaxy for example. The way he talks about story it sounds like a single player game but its not. Classes dont matter beacuse everyone is gona wana be a jedi or sith or somewere in the middle. Biowere's turn based battle system is boring as hell. Based off the gameplay shown so far its Kotr online. Which makes me even less excited because that game was boring as hell. Good story but boring. Dont even get me started on space combat thats going to be hell.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
restoshammyman said:
why would anyone wanna play anything other then jedi/sith?
Two Jedi classes (Knight, Consular) and two Sith classes (Warrior, Inquisitor) it's very loosely based on the Star Wars D20 roleplaying game which KotoR borrowed the system of, with the Jedi split into a more force oriented class and a more combat oriented class.

And really.. there's more to the setting than Jedi and Sith. Look at how many people have a serious hard on for Boba Fett (despite the fact he was on screen for a few seconds in the original trilogy). The bounty hunter class is basically Boba Fett.

I think there's a definite appeal about being the 'ordinary' (but really exceptional) dude who does great things through human effort rather than being a mystical space wizard. Whenever I've played Star Wars D20 there are always people who want to play non force users.