The Escapist Presents: Star Wars: The Old Republic

theSchlub

Mar 24, 2009
restoshammyman said:
i have a very important question. both sides have 4 classes each the last time i was on that site. the good guys have jedi and 3 other stuff. the bad guys have sith and 3 other guys.

why would anyone wanna play anything other then jedi/sith?
Chances are the sith/jedi will be downplayed a bit and made into melee/caster hybrids, ala shaman or paladins from WoW, with weaknesses that other players will be able to exploit. Even the Jedi were not the be-all end-all power of the star wars universe. Episode three proved that. Personally I played the old SW mmo Galaxies and AVOIDED being a jedi on purpose. I've already played the Jedi Knight games, why would I want to play any other dumbed-down version after that? I had much more fun running around using huge guns as a commando or getting into the empire vs. rebellion conflict as an officer, or doing the whole smuggler thing as, well, a smuggler.

I do agree on one thing, though: the setting, while it looks awesome and badass, does seem to be made of all the coolest things from across the star wars universe. This is alright, but its confusing. Star wars has always prided itself on it's massive timeline and continuity, but this game doesn't seem to fit ANYWHERE. Where is it set? Or is it some kind of alternate universe type of thing?

LtWiesel

Jul 26, 2010
I´m really confused how the group quests will work...you have different options while talking to the q giver, what if i want to kill him but the guy who talks to him is totally nice to him and accepts the quest? It´s an mmo you can´t quick save and do it the other way if you want.

to the timeline: its something about 1000years before kotor

to the classes: "look at me I´m a cool sith!!!11!"....I´m so going to be a trooper and shoot at every lightsaber swinging dude I see, no matter if its a red or a blue one!^^
btw will a "evil/not so hippie-like" trooper and a lets say, more or less nice bounty hunter be able to coop? or is the whole good/evil stuff inside the factions only for yourself?

Cyanin

Dec 25, 2009
Fabian Stetter said:
I´m really confused how the group quests will work...you have different options while talking to the q giver, what if i want to kill him but the guy who talks to him is totally nice to him and accepts the quest? It´s an mmo you can´t quick save and do it the other way if you want.

to the timeline: its something about 1000years before kotor

to the classes: "look at me I´m a cool sith!!!11!"....I´m so going to be a trooper and shoot at every lightsaber swinging dude I see, no matter if its a red or a blue one!^^
btw will a "evil/not so hippie-like" trooper and a lets say, more or less nice bounty hunter be able to coop? or is the whole good/evil stuff inside the factions only for yourself?
How glorious would it be if they introduced a rogue characteristic, like you betrayed your faction, get some benefits, but everyone from the other faction hate you with a fury and your new faction don't really trust you?

That would be an interesting sideline and something i'd like to see panned out.. But all i'm hoping from this game is that it doesn't cause my failure of getting into university as exams and the release of this game are...poorly timed. Also i'd end up homeless and lacking in dignity what with selling myself to get a goddamn computer that would allow me to play this game, and probably in paying for it.

On a final note, does anyone know of the payment thing they're discussing? Will it be monthly installments (UGH), or a once off, fairly large price? Obviously i don't expect people to know this, just curious if anyone does. =P

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I cannot wait for Star Wars: The Old Republic to come out. I pre-ordered it a month ago just to make sure that I get a copy. When I finally get it I am going to play as the Bounty Hunter class first.

luclin92

Apr 22, 2009
restoshammyman said:
i have a very important question. both sides have 4 classes each the last time i was on that site. the good guys have jedi and 3 other stuff. the bad guys have sith and 3 other guys.

because bounty hunters are badass

May 23, 2010
Adventurer2626 said:
The Amazing Tea Alligator said:
Does anybody else feel like TOR is cheating with it's setting? I mean, it's taking all the badass parts of Star Wars (clone troopers, jedi, sith, etc.) and just making up a setting that. From what I've seen ISN'T the Old Republic ala KOTOR, nor is it obviously not the clone wars. The setting seem badassly surreal, and I don't like it.
Yea uh that Empire vs. Republic thing threw me off. It was one of those, "Wait. What?" moments. Maybe they meant the Sith "empire." Actually, know what: I'll just purge all my knowledge of the lore. Then maybe I won't care as much. Even then it'll still be a nagging thought in the back of my head.
Something tells me that the suit had no fucking idea about what he was talking about :p

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
That trailer was all flashy, hardly any actual gameplay footage, but from what I gathered it looks like it could be more of the turn based combat...I really am not a fan of Bioware's turn based combat system. It ruined KOTOR for me, even though that game had a great story. The actualy gameplay was boring as hell.

I really hope this combat system is more real time and will actually take skill and timing on the user's part rather than "Queue attack. Queue attack. Queue attack."

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
danpascooch said:
I know the escapist isn't high profile enough to get the big interviews, but it would have been nice to have an interview with a DEVELOPER from BIOWARE than a PRODUCER from LUCASARTS
I prefer it this way. It means the lucasarts guys are off doing unimportant things while the BioWare guys are making sure they don't let george lucas in the building.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
As much as I would like to, I'm not going to get this. What I'm waiting for next year is Mass Effect 3, which should be out in Fall. From what I hear, TOR will be out in the summer. I'll have Dragon Age 2 to keep me satisfied until then.

I've been MMO free for 5 years, and I plan on keeping it that way.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
theSchlub said:
restoshammyman said:

Chances are the sith/jedi will be downplayed a bit and made into melee/caster hybrids, ala shaman or paladins from WoW, with weaknesses that other players will be able to exploit. Even the Jedi were not the be-all end-all power of the star wars universe. Episode three proved that. Personally I played the old SW mmo Galaxies and AVOIDED being a jedi on purpose. I've already played the Jedi Knight games, why would I want to play any other dumbed-down version after that? I had much more fun running around using huge guns as a commando or getting into the empire vs. rebellion conflict as an officer, or doing the whole smuggler thing as, well, a smuggler.

I do agree on one thing, though: the setting, while it looks awesome and badass, does seem to be made of all the coolest things from across the star wars universe. This is alright, but its confusing. Star wars has always prided itself on it's massive timeline and continuity, but this game doesn't seem to fit ANYWHERE. Where is it set? Or is it some kind of alternate universe type of thing?
There is a whole website for that information. They timeline and all. KotOR and TOR are like 5000 years before the movies.

Thurmer

Jul 15, 2009
gahhhhhhhhh at uni and cant listen because i left my headphones at home... unless i be that token dick who chooses to listen to his stuff at the expense of everyone else :p mwhahahaha

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
The fact that you get a story based on your class (and stories based on what planet you're on) is by far the most appealing aspect of the game; I'm a little surprised he said he didn't want to keep going on about it.

oranger

May 27, 2008
DID YOU YOU SEE ALL THOSE RED LIGHTSABERS?! lol
I can't wait...though I hope I can use my silver lightsaber(s) and cross train light/dark side force powers. I'm not jedi or sith, after all...but the force is still with me, *****.

Allymaris

Jun 7, 2010
The time line is about 3000 years before the rise of Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine and 300 years after Revan dissapeared. The Sith in the game have come from deep space to exact their revenge on the Republic and Jedi. A war ensued until the Sith asked for a treaty.They used this as a plot to lure the strongest Jedi away from the Jedi temple on Coruscant, so the Sith you see in the trailer (The Revan looking ones) could destroy the Jedi temple and hold Coruscant for ransom. They held the planet hostage until the Republic agreed to the unfair terms of the treaty (titled the Treaty of Coruscant) which were greatly in favor of the Sith Empire. This split the galaxy in half. One side ruled by the Empire, the other by the Republic. With the help of Bastila Shan's descendant Satele, the remaining Jedi set up a new enclave on the planet of Tython, where the Force was discovered for the first time thousands of years ago.
That is where the game is starting off.

I hope that cleared up some confusion lol :)

TimeLord75

Sep 3, 2009
Utterly lacking in useful information. Nice buzz-builder, though. Interview score: 5/10 or "meh".

Baconmonster723

Mar 4, 2009
manythings said:
danpascooch said:
I know the escapist isn't high profile enough to get the big interviews, but it would have been nice to have an interview with a DEVELOPER from BIOWARE than a PRODUCER from LUCASARTS
I prefer it this way. It means the lucasarts guys are off doing unimportant things while the BioWare guys are making sure they don't let george lucas in the building.
For some reason I just pictured the Bioware workers barricading the building and in a rebels vs. empire like scene fending off Darth Lucas while they smuggle the plans for the game away from his grasp......