The Escapist Presents: Starcraft 101: Protoss

Geamo

Aug 27, 2008
What, no "You must construct additional pylons" at the end? I feel cheated!

Nah, but this game does look great. For someone who hasn't played the original Starcraft but is looking forward to II, these are quite useful. Looking forward to it!

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Geamo said:

Nah, but this game does look great. For someone who hasn't played the original Starcraft but is looking forward to II, these are quite useful. Looking forward to it!
I made that joke in the end of Starcraft 2 Preview [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/reviews/1476-Starcraft-II-Preview-Supplement]. I didn't want to repeat it, but I called it back in the video description.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
John Funk said:
Baconmonster723 said:
I have an awesome idea mods. Could you save your battles and show them? That would be AMAZING. I would love all of you forever.
I'm not going to say anything beyond this, but we have one final piece of SC2 beta content planned for next week... :)
Gleeeeeeeeeeeeee~~~

Entertaining video. Except for the Zealots there wasn't much mention of infantry. What're the (Dark) Templars/Archons like in SCII?

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Amnestic said:
John Funk said:
Baconmonster723 said:
I have an awesome idea mods. Could you save your battles and show them? That would be AMAZING. I would love all of you forever.
I'm not going to say anything beyond this, but we have one final piece of SC2 beta content planned for next week... :)
Gleeeeeeeeeeeeee~~~

Entertaining video. Except for the Zealots there wasn't much mention of infantry. What're the (Dark) Templars/Archons like in SCII?
They are both pretty late game units, so you tend to not see them too much. Dark Templars are still nasty if you catch someone unprepared with cloak detection. I'm lead to understand the biggest problem for seeing Archons is that High Templar regen their energy faster than it takes to merge them, making the process of merging largely pointless. I do play Terran though, so Protoss have much less reason to field Archons against me - Psy Storm being great against my infantry balls and Archons likely to eat EMP rounds asap.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Yeahhhh... I've never been good at multiplayer StarCraft, so I think I'll stick to killing computer bots.
Still this video got me super hyped for the Protoss!
Protoss = Coolest aliens in the StarCraft universe.

Cxizent

Jan 14, 2009
Wait so what do the motherships do? Did he mention them before the 5:30 mark? I guess they cloak stuff. Cool.

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
Slycne said:
Geamo said:
I made that joke in the end of Starcraft 2 Preview [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/reviews/1476-Starcraft-II-Preview-Supplement]. I didn't want to repeat it, but I called it back in the video description.
Are you kidding?!?!? "The carrier has arrived" and "you must construct additional pylons" *never* get old!! =D At least to geeky little old me, they don't. Anyways, many thanks for all the StarCraft videos. As a veteran StarCraft player, I'm looking forward to the second installment, and getting all these glimpses is just pure bliss.

John Funk said:
Huzzah!!! Thank you!!! Cookies for you guys!!

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
My favorite thing about the video is the subtle contempt you hold for Mr. Funk :p

Cxizent said:
Wait so what do the motherships do? Did he mention them before the 5:30 mark? I guess they cloak stuff. Cool.
The mothership is a super unit. It cloaks all things aorund it by default, shoots beamy death and has some skills. The most useful, IMO, is a mass teleport skill which can summon all units in a circular range from one location to the mothership.

iyaerP

Sep 5, 2008
I feel that I must link to a relevant thread from the starcraft 2 forums.

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=23425374601&sid=5000

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
Tenmar said:
There are no dark archons in SC2.
Well, damn. One of my favorite long-term tactics with the Protoss was using a Dark Archon to Mind Control an enemy builder unit from another race, thereby letting me create their tech tree with a unit cap independent of my own.

Zerg rushes backed by Protoss tech always confused the hell out of other people. It was great.

If you'll excuse me, I need to go into the corner and cry now...

AC10 said:
The mothership is a super unit. It cloaks all things aorund it by default, shoots beamy death and has some skills. The most useful, IMO, is a mass teleport skill which can summon all units in a circular range from one location to the mothership.
So, the Mothership is essentially a revamped version of the Protoss Arbiter from SC1? Nice.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
cool warp-ins and accelerated techs :D
I've said it before, but I am getting this game for certain :p

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
Protoss have always been my favorite, but at this point in the beta I have trouble validating using them. I'll repost what I said in the Zerg comments rather than repeat myself.

Comic Sans said:
However, I wouldn't consider Protoss a preparedness race. If anything, they are more reactionary than the Zerg. Protoss are completely reliant on scouting out their build and reacting to it, since their tech trees are so linear. If you go Robotics, you have no chance at all against Mutas or Banshees without a lot of Sentries or Stalkers. If you go Stargate, a massed ground force makes that investment worthless (except if they lack AA and you can snipe their tech with Void Rays, or you have a lot of Phoenix and great micro). A Twilight Council is always good but requires even more teching before you can get new units, and those are quite specialized (DTs are worthless if they get detection, HTs need you to research Psi Storm before they are even worth building). Unlike the other races, who can go pretty much anything on their tech tree and feel safe knowing they can still adapt to a situation, Protoss NEED to know what the enemy is doing so they don't get rolled by something their current tech cannot counter effectively. They cannot control the flow of the game at all, and can usually win by hard countering the enemy, since with the exception of their AA they are VERY good at hard countering. So rather than a preparedness race they are the absolute most reactionary of the three in the game. They need to invest the most in their tech tree to be effective, and with their expensive units this extra cash spending makes it hard for the Protoss to have enough force to fight back if they don't have enough of the particular hard counter they need once the engagements come.

snow

Jan 14, 2010
John Funk said:
Hubilub said:
John Funk said:
Your shiny little Colossi are no match for Mutalisks, Greg.

We learned that last night.
Oh no you didn't!

Mods trash talking each other? It's about to go down!
The only thing that went down was his base at the hands (er, claws?) of the swarm.
This just in at ENN, Escapist website turned over to be monitored and updated by monkeys because mods are playing to much SC2.. :p

You guys ever think of having a lil mini show where we can watch you guys rip each other apart once the game finally comes out? I would definitely tune in to see that xD

Hutchy_Bear

May 12, 2009
I would love to see an Escapist staff SC2 tournament and a board where all the participants smack talk each other!

Warstratigier

Mar 28, 2009
hrm I want to know more about the immortals some, they seem to take a beating and yet pack a punch at the same.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Warstratigier said:
hrm I want to know more about the immortals some, they seem to take a beating and yet pack a punch at the same.
The immortals' special ability is that they have a special damage shield that reduces the damage of any attack done to it to just 10. Siege tanks? Just 10 damage. Ultralisks? 10 damage. So on, and so forth. So they're a great counter to heavy-hitting units.

The counter, though, is that their shield will not activate for any attack that does UNDER 10 damage. So the best way to beat immortals is with lots of smaller units. As a Zerg player, for instance, the Immortals counter the hell out of Roaches and Hydralisks but will get shredded by just normal Zerglings.

Warstratigier

Mar 28, 2009
John Funk said:
Warstratigier said:
The immortals' special ability is that they have a special damage shield that reduces the damage of any attack done to it to just 10. Siege tanks? Just 10 damage. Ultralisks? 10 damage. So on, and so forth. So they're a great counter to heavy-hitting units.

The counter, though, is that their shield will not activate for any attack that does UNDER 10 damage. So the best way to beat immortals is with lots of smaller units. As a Zerg player, for instance, the Immortals counter the hell out of Roaches and Hydralisks but will get shredded by just normal Zerglings.
key word being lots, an immortal appears to hold it own against a few of those small units and several can hold against....I am guessing a handful. Though with the combined hardened shields, the HP, and the seemingly decent attack, I can imagine it costing a good amount of resources just to make one.

Another thing that hit my mind, wouldn't the immortals take the full brunt of the heavy attacks if the shields became depleted?

I wish I could find these things out myself but as my luck would have it...not in the beta.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
When is this coming out? I must know so that I can cower before the might of those guys with the shiny names that are in the beta. Seriously when this gets released I want my first online match to be against one of the staff here.