The Escapist Presents: Starcraft 101: Protoss

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
Vanguard1219 said:
Tenmar said:
There are no dark archons in SC2.
Well, damn. One of my favorite long-term tactics with the Protoss was using a Dark Archon to Mind Control an enemy builder unit from another race, thereby letting me create their tech tree with a unit cap independent of my own.

Zerg rushes backed by Protoss tech always confused the hell out of other people. It was great.

If you'll excuse me, I need to go into the corner and cry now...

AC10 said:
The mothership is a super unit. It cloaks all things aorund it by default, shoots beamy death and has some skills. The most useful, IMO, is a mass teleport skill which can summon all units in a circular range from one location to the mothership.
So, the Mothership is essentially a revamped version of the Protoss Arbiter from SC1? Nice.
No, it's really not nice. It's very slow and very expensive. It's nearly impossible to sneak one into the enemy base for a mass recall. And since there can only be one, it's a big a fat target. The cloak field is nice, but it can't keep up with your army on the move.

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
Ne1butme said:
Vanguard1219 said:
Tenmar said:
There are no dark archons in SC2.
Well, damn. One of my favorite long-term tactics with the Protoss was using a Dark Archon to Mind Control an enemy builder unit from another race, thereby letting me create their tech tree with a unit cap independent of my own.

Zerg rushes backed by Protoss tech always confused the hell out of other people. It was great.

If you'll excuse me, I need to go into the corner and cry now...

AC10 said:
The mothership is a super unit. It cloaks all things aorund it by default, shoots beamy death and has some skills. The most useful, IMO, is a mass teleport skill which can summon all units in a circular range from one location to the mothership.
So, the Mothership is essentially a revamped version of the Protoss Arbiter from SC1? Nice.
No, it's really not nice. It's very slow and very expensive. It's nearly impossible to sneak one into the enemy base for a mass recall. And since there can only be one, it's a big a fat target. The cloak field is nice, but it can't keep up with your army on the move.
Yeah, I miss my Arbiters. I don't think I've ever actually used a Mothership in a real game. It's too slow and expensive.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
You guys didn't talk about the Phoenix, the most useless unit in the game! OR the Sentry, the most USEFUL unit in the game! SC2 is amazing so far and I honestly can't wait, but balance issues are still pretty up in the air, especially Protoss anti-air.

I'm a Silver League Protoss player and if you're looking for practice matches, PM me and I'll toss you my ID, I usually play 5-10 games a day.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
I've always sucked at online multiplayer RTS, so I'll probably stay away from that... but I do look forward to the campaign. Protoss look fun as always, and that ability to speed up construction and upgrading sounds like a godsend.