The Escapist Presents: Starcraft 2 101: Showdown #2

Melancholy_Ocelot

Feb 2, 2009
I'm really enjoying your well edited videos and analytical commentary. Keep it coming!!

You guys have rekindled the old RTS spark in me and I picked up a copy of Red Alert 3. Unfortunately many BSOD issues have led me to trade it with a friend for Tiberium Wars.

Nick Holmgren

Feb 13, 2010
Can you guys do a video on the basics on micro? A lot of people think Micro is some form of magic or something (well I did until I started playing). Simple micro can be a huge upper hand in close games and also makes you look so cool.

YurdleTheTurtle

Mar 23, 2009
Hey John, I was wondering why your don't have 3D Portraits enabled? Are they distracting or did you just forget about them?

I'm assuming you might be missing a couple of other neat options, so check it out. For example, in the gameplay tab there's some useful stuff like "display build grid" and "disable windows key". It seems you guys can run the beta on max setting so you may as well check out the sounds options too.

Other than that, as a more experienced RTS player the video was definitely not too exciting for me, but I've always enjoyed helping new players and it's good to see you guys are having fun.

Just a couple of tips:

-I know micro-management is difficult, but try to train yourself to focus fire on units. Use queued orders (shift click) to make things easier so you don't have to constantly target a new unit every few seconds.

-Don't get into the mentality that you can only make one or two kinds of units. For example, in these long games, Greg probably could have easily won by simply massing Carriers and getting a Mothership. This always works against lesser experienced players unless someone pressures/attacks the player going for the expensive stuff. Mass Void Rays tend to be a bad choice as you guys saw they're bad against large numbers of units like Marines or Mutalisks. Diversity of units is key, basically.

-You guys probably get this a lot, but try to spend resources as much as possible haha. Stocking up to thousands and thousands is never a good thing.

-Harassing is actually good in SC2. As you guys learned, yeah, throwing away units into easily lost battles is a bad thing. But as a reminder, staying passive in games like SC2 will not really work.

Keep it up guys.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Slycne said:
Starcraft 2 101: Showdown #2

Team Escapist is back for Round 2 in a 2v2 Starcraft 2 match. The teams are Jordan Deam [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Slycne].

Watch Video
So now I know what to do if I ever get into a match with the Escapist staff in SC2.Make lots and lots of AA units/buildings.Then you're sure to win.

Supp

Nov 17, 2009
InvisibleMilk said:
This makes me wanna play Starcraft. Like a ************.
Go Funk! Zerg and Druids forever!
I hate Starcraft and this makes me want to play Starcraft.

STOP BEING SO HARD TO PLAY.

wolf_isthebest

the Insane
Mar 4, 2009
Well this second showdown was a lot better then the first one because it was more balanced. Maybe you can do a 1vs1 next and show it from start to finish... it would be nice to see how many probes you get out before you build youre first pylon, how you spam the "e" button to get more probes out even though you got 5 resources etc.

Nikajo

Feb 6, 2009
oneplus999 said:
I've been having a lot of trouble w/ mass mutas. Vikings are good, but much less useful after zerg tech-switches to hydras. Thors destroy them, but they are so slow that a good zerg player will just hop around the map. Getting the range and armor upgrades on your turrets are good, but being static, they still will go down to mass mutas pretty quick. Marines are also not great, since they go down so quick and can't stack on top of each other like mutas.
There's some very good videos on you tube of matches between some quite hardcore players, but there's one video in particular that you just reminded me of was one where a guy was demonstrating the usefullness of hunter killer missles. He manages to kill 30+ mutas in literally seconds with 2/3 hunter missles, it was pretty sick to watch! It basically won him the match ultimately. Apart from that and battlecruisers there doesn't seem to be any decent counter to them except having equal numbers of fliers youself, but even then the mutas are doing splash damage so you're still at a disadvantage.

On topic: great videos guys, looking forward to seeing some more :)

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
Not that I want to complain, but can you guys release full videos. Since I couldn't see what you were building or what you were doing 90% of the time this felt more like a tech demo than a game match (it's fun to be able to tell what someone will do).

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Traun said:
Not that I want to complain, but can you guys release full videos. Since I couldn't see what you were building or what you were doing 90% of the time this felt more like a tech demo than a game match (it's fun to be able to tell what someone will do).
We don't like releasing videos more than 10 minutes long. This match was almost 40.

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
Tenmar said:
Traun said:
If you are really looking for some full on replay then I would recommend the youtube members HDstarcraft and Hustystarcraft. They comment on high level players games and concentrate on the game and by watching enough you will hear from the commentators and see from the players some build orders to get used to the game.

I would also recommend checking out sc2armory.com if you really want to learn about the units and their strength and weakness.
Thank you.

John Funk said:
We don't like releasing videos more than 10 minutes long. This match was almost 40.
I understand, thank you for the response.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
razormint21 said:
What is the "new" zerg's take on the chokepoint barricading tactic?
There really isn't one early-early-game, since the earliest you can start expanding the Creep is once you get a Queen out.

Instead, I just like to fill my ramp with Zerglings as I tech to Roaches. Spawn a Queen, lay a creep tumor - which can replicate itself - and once I have creep near the entrance, put two Spine Crawlers on either side of the ramp. Zerglings on the ramp itself, and roaches/Hydras behind it. Anything that wants to attack me needs to get through the zlings while being attacked by the spine crawlers/ranged units.

It's not perfect, but it's the closest thing I've found.

Tonimata

Jul 21, 2008
Actually, I have a question, since I haven't been "in" the whole Starcraft 2 Beta outbreak (but can proudly say have returned to my Starcraft 1 roots)

Is it possible to get this Beta through direct download from a certain page?

If so, could someone please link me? I'm thinking of trying it out.

Thanks everyone.

ZergInfestedJesus

Oct 31, 2007
Tonimata said:
Actually, I have a question, since I haven't been "in" the whole Starcraft 2 Beta outbreak (but can proudly say have returned to my Starcraft 1 roots)

Is it possible to get this Beta through direct download from a certain page?

If so, could someone please link me? I'm thinking of trying it out.

Thanks everyone.
Only select people in a lottery got beta keys.

icaritos

Apr 15, 2009
Am i the only one that has a lot of fun watching this thing? Hope you guys do some more of these battles.