The Escapist Presents: Starcraft 2 101: Terran

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
Starcraft 2 101: Terran

Team Escapist gives you the run-down on the Terran race from the Starcraft 2 beta.

Watch Video

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
This is why StarCraft II is going to be sooo awesome: it's a classic, but with a couple of new stuff thrown in to keep it fresh... I just can't wait.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
I'm more interested to see what kinds of gimmick maps will be popping up once this thing goes live on Battle.net. I'm sure the map-making community is going to go nuts.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I assume this means that we'll be getting the Zerg and the Protoss overviews as well in the forseeable future? :)

Axzarious

Feb 18, 2010
Well, I will say that this is pretty spot on. I never really used nukes against protoss, as a few EMP shots can quickly help you lay waste to their armies. Reapers are awsome, especially for harassment. Easily one of my favorite units. Although, the people here did forget to mention the afformented walling your base in with the supply depots, and the extra supplies.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
MortisLegio said:
I miss the Firebats already
Firebats do make an appearance in the single player campaign apparently, and the Hellion takes up the flame based unit roll with the Marauder being the Terran's new heavy infantry. I'm not a huge fan of the Hellion, but Marauders are great - it is indeed hard giving up such an iconic Terran unit though.

Jandau said:
I assume this means that we'll be getting the Zerg and the Protoss overviews as well in the forseeable future? :)
Indeed. Greg Tito will being taking everyone through the Protoss and John Funk is giving us a run down of the Zerg. We may also show off some inter-office 2 v 2 matches.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
Thor sounds amusing, but surely hes no match voice wise for the Siege Tank... right?

"I'm about to drop the hammer...
...and dispense some indiscriminate justice!"

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
gibboss28 said:
Thor sounds amusing, but surely hes no match voice wise for the Siege Tank... right?

Nikajo

Feb 6, 2009
Tenmar said:
oMonarca said:
What? No Battlecruisers?
In a lot of game replays on youtube and such getting to tier 3 units and massing is now a pretty bad idea. Battlecrusiers are still a good unit but nowhere near the destroyers they were. Also with some exceptions having that good mix of tier 1 and tier 2 is more powerful than just a handful of tier 3. Numbers are starting to mean more.
In a way that's good because the Battlecruisers were almost a little too powerful. If you managed to get 12 of those bad boys out (through some sheer fluke) then your enemy was in for a world of hurt regardless of what they threw at you. Especially with the yamato cannon.

I like the sound of the new carriers doubling up as medics, that's gonna make my favourite team even more useful than normal :) Thor looks interesting as well. Dammit, everytime I see a new star craft video it makes me want it even more! The way the large groups of infantry move is so much more fluid than SC1.

Ok I need to stop myself or this is gonna become a huge praising rant...

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Tenmar said:
Dude you guys need to see the power of the Raven units. I thought they were going to be as crappy as the science vessel but damn did they ever prove themselves to me in a second.

Okay anyone know how to embed a video on these forums? Because the copy paste embed from youtube just doesn't work for some sad reason.
If you use {youtube=RoS39BfTqi8} it works. Replace the { with [.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
gibboss28 said:

Nothing will ever compare to "DEE-lighted to, SUH!".

Still, watching that utter swarm of Marines... wow. That made me happy in several of my happy places.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
Gorram it just come out already! Stop cockteasing us!

Must have game...

OT: Nice vid, I'll probably start with terran so I can get through the learning curve.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Tenmar said:
In a lot of game replays on youtube and such getting to tier 3 units and massing is now a pretty bad idea. Battlecrusiers are still a good unit but nowhere near the destroyers they were. Also with some exceptions having that good mix of tier 1 and tier 2 is more powerful than just a handful of tier 3. Numbers are starting to mean more.
This is mostly true, except that I've yet to find a solid, reliable counter to mass Battlecruisers as Protoss.

Void Rays just get shredded by cruisers, Stalkers don't do enough damage, and Carriers just get Yamato'd to oblivion.

Edit:
Tenmar said:
Dude you guys need to see the power of the Raven units. I thought they were going to be as crappy as the science vessel but damn did they ever prove themselves to me in a second.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoS39BfTqi8

Just watch the start of this commentary video to see the Raven's hunter seeker missile.
Science Vessels were amazing though. Best support unit in the game IMO.