The Escapist Presents: Starcraft 2 101: Tips & Tricks

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
Lonan said:
Ne1butme said:
Lonan said:
I won't be buying this game. After the World of Warcraft fiasco I wonder if Blizzard will find a way to make you pay for online gametime. It's just a better graphics version of Starcraft anyway, it's just for more money. It's heavily in favour of Blizzard's pockets, not you're enjoyment. Don't buy it.
What fiasco?
I wasted hours, days, weeks, and maybe even months playing that terrible, money sucking game. I even defended it. But I was wrong, a sucker to corporate before humanitarian considerations. I call it a fiasco.
http://www.cracked.com/article_18461_5-creepy-ways-video-games-are-trying-to-get-you-addicted.html
So what does that say about those of us who weren't stupid enough to fall for the evil corporation's nefarious enjoyment-giving mechanisms? If you get addicted, it's your own fault. Any addiction.

Also, nice trolling, well played. :)

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
Ne1butme said:
Lonan said:
Ne1butme said:
Lonan said:
I won't be buying this game. After the World of Warcraft fiasco I wonder if Blizzard will find a way to make you pay for online gametime. It's just a better graphics version of Starcraft anyway, it's just for more money. It's heavily in favour of Blizzard's pockets, not you're enjoyment. Don't buy it.
What fiasco?
I wasted hours, days, weeks, and maybe even months playing that terrible, money sucking game. I even defended it. But I was wrong, a sucker to corporate before humanitarian considerations. I call it a fiasco.
http://www.cracked.com/article_18461_5-creepy-ways-video-games-are-trying-to-get-you-addicted.html
So what does that say about those of us who weren't stupid enough to fall for the evil corporation's nefarious enjoyment-giving mechanisms? If you get addicted, it's your own fault. Any addiction.

Congratulations on snide insinuations about "trolling;" something which is born on the internet, which is generally a waste of time. And I never said it wasn't my fault I got addicted. I thought I was playing a game, when in reality it was just a ploy to keep you giving them money.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
Lonan said:
Ne1butme said:
Lonan said:
Ne1butme said:
Lonan said:
What fiasco?

Congratulations on snide insinuations about "trolling;" something which is born on the internet, which is generally a waste of time. And I never said it wasn't my fault I got addicted. I thought I was playing a game, when in reality it was just a ploy to keep you giving them money.
Welcome to capitalism: Getting people to pay for stuff and if you're lucky, getting people to continue to pay for stuff. It's like candy companies and their ploy to get people to buy their confections by making them delicious. Or Book publishing companies that conspire to make good products so that suckers are parted from their money.

And the only reason i brought up trolling is because i felt that you had to be joking. No one is that dim. But i guess i was wrong.

Anyways, 4-gate or 3-gate/robo push? Which would work better?

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
Ne1butme said:
Lonan said:
Ne1butme said:
Lonan said:
Ne1butme said:
Lonan said:
What fiasco?

Welcome to capitalism: Getting people to pay for stuff and if you're lucky, getting people to continue to pay for stuff. It's like candy companies and their ploy to get people to buy their confections by making them delicious. Or Book publishing companies that conspire to make good products so that suckers are parted from their money.

And the only reason i brought up trolling is because i felt that you had to be joking. No one is that dim. But i guess i was wrong.

I'm well aware of capitalism, but I didn't think I needed to put that in because I didn't think anyone would be dim enough to think I wasn't aware of what it is. Apparently I was. I don't think you're joking, I think you're an arrogant prick who is finding reasons to defend a company has spent the past half decade making money off of false pretenses of a sequel to one of it's good game's, Warcraft. It's nothing but a money printing grind-fest, and yet people continue to rave about their games when this is why they took our money without giving us anything in return in the first place. Blizzard is only in it for the money, and they're lazy. They're riding on the success of people who have probably now left the company. I'm disgusted with them, but by all means equate that to me not being aware of capitalism.

Taern

Dec 22, 2008
Just saying, that the 4 workers on gas IS wrong. I know it's been brought up, but oh well.

It's also, almost always, a really bad idea to have more then 1 hatchery in a base unless you have literally no expansions you can take, and just as bad to have more then 1 queen there. Unless you have perfect micro, which is effectively impossible, your queens will have enough energy to spawn larvae on 2-3 hatcheries at a time.

Scanner sweeps are of use, but only about half the time. If you use a scanner sweep instead of calling down a MULE, you lose more minerals then if you made a barracks and flew it over the base to scout them out.

Lake Deuteronomy

Jun 6, 2010
Dark Templar said:
Now I have to find out the New Dark Templar specs. I wonder if their damage is still sky high with upgrades?
If anything, they're even cooler, cause now they have combat animations to match their awesome stats, and some of them even use psionic scythes! (Cosmetic difference, I know, but it looks nice.)

sigma83

Oct 26, 2009
More than one queen is actually a good idea, for several reasons:
1) Creep tumors
2) Air defense, seeing as how queens are the only unit that can attack air until hydras, good for killing off early banshees or void rays
3) Transfusion. Multiple queens can transfuse static defenses or even each other and keep themselves alive while under fire. A lone queen cannot transfuse herself.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
Lonan said:
Ne1butme said:
Lonan said:
Ne1butme said:
Lonan said:
Ne1butme said:
Lonan said:
What fiasco?

I'm well aware of capitalism, but I didn't think I needed to put that in because I didn't think anyone would be dim enough to think I wasn't aware of what it is. Apparently I was. I don't think you're joking, I think you're an arrogant prick who is finding reasons to defend a company has spent the past half decade making money off of false pretenses of a sequel to one of it's good game's, Warcraft. It's nothing but a money printing grind-fest, and yet people continue to rave about their games when this is why they took our money without giving us anything in return in the first place. Blizzard is only in it for the money, and they're lazy. They're riding on the success of people who have probably now left the company. I'm disgusted with them, but by all means equate that to me not being aware of capitalism.
Wow, just Wow. There a lot crazy to dig through here. False pretenses? You didn't know that MMOs generally have a recurring charge? Or that they are designed not to have a definite end? This isn't a new concept. Been around since at least UO and probably earlier.

I might be an arrogant prick, but ask yourself this: What video game has ever given anything to anyone besides hours of entertainment? Just like your cable television, or your internet subscription, you are paying for access to content.

Maybe you just don't like MMOs. That's fine. I don't play them either. But calling it a fiasco because blizzard delivered exactly what its vast audience wanted says a lot about your state of mind. I think you're a very angry and frustrated person, and I'm sorry you wasted your time and money on an activity that provided you absolutely no enjoyment. Maybe you should take up knitting. After you've grinded several levels of yarn, you get a sweater. That's way better than a mount or virtual pet.

Dobrev

Mar 25, 2009
Nice tips, hope the new plyers get use of them.

The only thing I would advise against is doing the Terrand ramp block the way it is shown vs. Zerg. Building 2xSupplys with Barracks on your ramp is like saying come and kill me to a good player. Just 5-6 Banelings aimed at the barracks will destroy both of the supply depos, creating two huge gaps for teh zergling swarm to enter and more importaintly will make supply blocked so you'll not be able to make any units to hold off the attack.

Sir Bob

Jan 14, 2010
Ne1butme said:
Early game or late game?

As more of a rush strategy 3 gate actually works better than both options, because your miners can only get enough minerals from your main base to keep 3 gateways working 24/7. More gates and your miners can't keep up.

Late game you should ofc mix in a few robo units, and more gateways. In a long game I often end up proxy'ing (nice verb aye?) with up to 12 warpgates

Sir Bob

Jan 14, 2010
Lonan said:
Can you be reported for the sheer stupidity of this post?

Blizzard never forced you to play this game, so why so much hate? I played it myself as well, but I can't see why you are so angry with it. YES it involved a lot of grinding, but the grinding was never necessary; I always avoided most of it, and yes, that means you don't get the shiny mount, but it also saves you from becoming a bitter person crying to get all those hours of his life back.

Furthermore OF COURSE blizzard is in it for the money, its the only reason the game was ever made. And the things you write after that are just nonsense and assumptions. BAD assumptions.

TL; DR: You are mad at blizzard for taking the money you willfully threw at them. And thats just sad.

Ne1butme said:
Maybe you should take up knitting. After you've grinded several levels of yarn, you get a sweater. That's way better than a mount or virtual pet.
This sentence is so much win that I'm still considering naming my firstborn after you ^^

YouBecame

May 2, 2010
I was very fail at starcraft 1, mostly because I was very young and lacked tenacity to suck up losses.

I hope to be better at SCII :). Zerg funs incoming!

edit: Think II is going to be as stupidly micro heavy? I hope not, I've got atrocious micro :(

Sir Bob

Jan 14, 2010
YouBecame said:
I was very fail at starcraft 1, mostly because I was very young and lacked tenacity to suck up losses.

I hope to be better at SCII :). Zerg funs incoming!

edit: Think II is going to be as stupidly micro heavy? I hope not, I've got atrocious micro :(
Micro can win you a battle where a large force can't. A viking can kill a battlecruiser because its range is a bit longer. A stalker can kill a zealot without taking damage because its ranged and slightly faster.

Oh, and if you plan on playing zerg: Zergling AI is HORRIBLE, they tend to attack all the wrong targets without proper guidance

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
Sir Bob said:
Lonan said:
Can you be reported for the sheer stupidity of this post?

Blizzard never forced you to play this game, so why so much hate? I played it myself as well, but I can't see why you are so angry with it. YES it involved a lot of grinding, but the grinding was never necessary; I always avoided most of it, and yes, that means you don't get the shiny mount, but it also saves you from becoming a bitter person crying to get all those hours of his life back.

Furthermore OF COURSE blizzard is in it for the money, its the only reason the game was ever made. And the things you write after that are just nonsense and assumptions. BAD assumptions.

TL; DR: You are mad at blizzard for taking the money you willfully threw at them. And thats just sad.

Ne1butme said:
Maybe you should take up knitting. After you've grinded several levels of yarn, you get a sweater. That's way better than a mount or virtual pet.
This sentence is so much win that I'm still considering naming my firstborn after you ^^
The point is that I expected more from BLizzard, I thought it would be a fun MMO sequel like those BIOware is talking about, but it was just a time waster with no point as Bioware just said. It's a damn good thing Bioware beat Blizzard on this website because Blizzard doesn't care aobut you, they care aobut you're money and they are quite frankly lazy. Relic pumps out several games a decade with graphics and story equal to Starcraft 2, and I thin just as fun. But Blizzard puts all their profits into making their games time sucking addiction fests and haven't made a good game since Warcract Good game to an end and Warcraft: Embarrasement began.

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
Ne1butme said:
Lonan said:
Ne1butme said:
Lonan said:
Ne1butme said:
Lonan said:
Ne1butme said:
Lonan said:
What fiasco?

Wow, just Wow. There a lot crazy to dig through here. False pretenses? You didn't know that MMOs generally have a recurring charge? Or that they are designed not to have a definite end? This isn't a new concept. Been around since at least UO and probably earlier.

I might be an arrogant prick, but ask yourself this: What video game has ever given anything to anyone besides hours of entertainment? Just like your cable television, or your internet subscription, you are paying for access to content.

Maybe you just don't like MMOs. That's fine. I don't play them either. But calling it a fiasco because blizzard delivered exactly what its vast audience wanted says a lot about your state of mind. I think you're a very angry and frustrated person, and I'm sorry you wasted your time and money on an activity that provided you absolutely no enjoyment. Maybe you should take up knitting. After you've grinded several levels of yarn, you get a sweater. That's way better than a mount or virtual pet.
Of course I knew MMO's have a recurring charge, I just thought it was to support the great game you're playing rather to support the Blizzard Massively High Pressure Money Tap Fund. And now that they almost drowned in their own hundreds, they want to make a sequel to one of the greatest RTS's ever. Why? To build a golden diving board for their pool of money. When Other game companies make games, they do it for the passion, the love of making a game everyone will enjoy, and yes to live well-off as well. When Blizzard makes a game, it's to be filthy rich. Yet everyone heaps praise on them as though they are actually one of the former, and it makes me angry and frusterated theat people are just lemmings jumping off a cliff into a pool of their own money, that they can't have. And I'm very aware that no one is forcing anyone to buy it, please don't bring that up again.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
Lonan said:
Ne1butme said:
Lonan said:
Ne1butme said:
Lonan said:
Ne1butme said:
Lonan said:
Ne1butme said:
Lonan said:
What fiasco?

Of course I knew MMO's have a recurring charge, I just thought it was to support the great game you're playing rather to support the Blizzard Massively High Pressure Money Tap Fund. And now that they almost drowned in their own hundreds, they want to make a sequel to one of the greatest RTS's ever. Why? To build a golden diving board for their pool of money. When Other game companies make games, they do it for the passion, the love of making a game everyone will enjoy, and yes to live well-off as well. When Blizzard makes a game, it's to be filthy rich. Yet everyone heaps praise on them as though they are actually one of the former, and it makes me angry and frusterated theat people are just lemmings jumping off a cliff into a pool of their own money, that they can't have. And I'm very aware that no one is forcing anyone to buy it, please don't bring that up again.
You're right. Since Blizzard was successful with WoW and made a ton of money, they should never ever make another game again. I agree with this so much that we should apply the 'Lonan Principle of Continued Success' to other fields. Apple should have stopped making computers after the IIe. Clearly the Macintosh and the IPOD are just naked cash grabs (or diving boards if you will). Steven Spielberg should have never directed another film after creating Jaws. He was already rich. He obviously only made Raiders, ET, Jurassic Park, Schindler's List, and Saving Private Ryan because he wanted more money.

Heck, even Bioware made a ton of money on KOTOR and Mass Effect. That should have satisfied them. But they had to go and make a continuation of one of the greatest RPGs ever and make it an MMO to boot. Applying the Lonan principle shows us that they are just treading on KOTOR's good name. Using it to sucker players into a vast money-making scheme. Because if Blizzard can't make another game without betraying their greedy mindset, why can Bioware?

Sir Bob

Jan 14, 2010
Lonan said:
The point is that I expected more from BLizzard, I thought it would be a fun MMO sequel like those BIOware is talking about, but it was just a time waster with no point as Bioware just said. It's a damn good thing Bioware beat Blizzard on this website because Blizzard doesn't care aobut you, they care aobut you're money and they are quite frankly lazy. Relic pumps out several games a decade with graphics and story equal to Starcraft 2, and I thin just as fun. But Blizzard puts all their profits into making their games time sucking addiction fests and haven't made a good game since Warcract Good game to an end and Warcraft: Embarrasement began.
Yes its a time waster, but EVERY game is designed to "waste time". Gaming gets you nowhere in life, you don't gain skills. If you want to spend your time so that you can do something with your developed talents later on pick up a few books, or learn how to make sounds out of an instrument. Don't expect anything but time wasted from a game.

The reason they take so long for their games is the fine-tuning of pvp. Blizzard could make a million more dungeons for WoW, or a million Starcraft games, but they all have to be GOOD and balanced.

Oh, and because WoW has only 11 million active subscribers it must of course suck, sorry to have doubted your logic.

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
Ne1butme said:
Lonan said:
Ne1butme said:
Lonan said:
Ne1butme said:
Lonan said:
Ne1butme said:
Lonan said:
Ne1butme said:
Lonan said:
What fiasco?

You're right. Since Blizzard was successful with WoW and made a ton of money, they should never ever make another game again. I agree with this so much that we should apply the 'Lonan Principle of Continued Success' to other fields. Apple should have stopped making computers after the IIe. Clearly the Macintosh and the IPOD are just naked cash grabs (or diving boards if you will). Steven Spielberg should have never directed another film after creating Jaws. He was already rich. He obviously only made Raiders, ET, Jurassic Park, Schindler's List, and Saving Private Ryan because he wanted more money.

Heck, even Bioware made a ton of money on KOTOR and Mass Effect. That should have satisfied them. But they had to go and make a continuation of one of the greatest RPGs ever and make it an MMO to boot. Applying the Lonan principle shows us that they are just treading on KOTOR's good name. Using it to sucker players into a vast money-making scheme. Because if Blizzard can't make another game without betraying their greedy mindset, why can Bioware?
My issue is not their success, but the means to the end, I don't think the end justifies the means unconditionally. Being successful is never a bad thing, it's a great thing, and you should ride on the success of you're previous success to become even greater. But Blizzard's "success" was not in making a great game, but in hyping up a sequel to the great games that were Warcraft so they could convince you to give them you're money in exchange for a bad game, and take away you're life as well in compensation. And yet everyone is head over heels for their next game, which is incredibly lacking in innovation, and it's only merit is that Starcraft was good. Starcraft II is just a hyped up version of the DOW franchise, and I personally think is inferior to them. It's just the same thing with shiny new graphics but no one made this fuss for Chaos Rising, just for Starcraft because Blizzard knows how to get people addicted. They are the same thing, a sci-fi RTS with good graphics.

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
Sir Bob said:
Lonan said:
Yes its a time waster, but EVERY game is designed to "waste time". Gaming gets you nowhere in life, you don't gain skills. If you want to spend your time so that you can do something with your developed talents later on pick up a few books, or learn how to make sounds out of an instrument. Don't expect anything but time wasted from a game.

The reason they take so long for their games is the fine-tuning of pvp. Blizzard could make a million more dungeons for WoW, or a million Starcraft games, but they all have to be GOOD and balanced.

Oh, and because WoW has only 11 million active subscribers it must of course suck, sorry to have doubted your logic.
Billions of people on this earth are incredibly stupid, humans are just evolved chimpanzees, there is no basis for intellect in anyone. Saying that 11 million people makes the game better demands that there is a basis for that. You could say that fatty goods are good because 100 million Americans indulge in them to the point of obesity, but that is hardly a defense of fatty foods. You must be incredibly far to the right to consider fatty foods the masses consume to be superior to something made from the finest of restaurants in the world on the basis of number. Games do develop skills. Playing basketball is not a waste of time, nor is hockey, nor is badminton, nor it lacrosse or rugby. Saying that less physical games are a waste of time on the basis of nothing does not make that true in any way. You have little basis on which to comment on games if you consider them a waste of time. It would be like a femiminist bursting into a debate about farts. Bad example, but I have to go now so I'll leave you with this on hardcore gaming. It mirrors my beliefs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7VAhzPcZ-s

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Lonan said:
Ne1butme said:
Lonan said:
Ne1butme said:
Lonan said:
Ne1butme said:
Lonan said:
Ne1butme said:
Lonan said:
Ne1butme said:
Lonan said:
What fiasco?

My issue is not their success, but the means to the end, I don't think the end justifies the means unconditionally. Being successful is never a bad thing, it's a great thing, and you should ride on the success of you're previous success to become even greater. But Blizzard's "success" was not in making a great game, but in hyping up a sequel to the great games that were Warcraft so they could convince you to give them you're money in exchange for a bad game, and take away you're life as well in compensation. And yet everyone is head over heels for their next game, which is incredibly lacking in innovation, and it's only merit is that Starcraft was good. Starcraft II is just a hyped up version of the DOW franchise, and I personally think is inferior to them. It's just the same thing with shiny new graphics but no one made this fuss for Chaos Rising, just for Starcraft because Blizzard knows how to get people addicted. They are the same thing, a sci-fi RTS with good graphics.
Ok, yeah, this guy is DEFINITELY a troll. No-one's actually this foolish. Let's stop feeding him now, shall we?