The Escapist Presents: Walkthrough of Dante's Inferno

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
Walkthrough of Dante's Inferno

The Escapist's Susan Arendt plays through the Lust level of Dante's Inferno.

Watch Video

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Really interested to see how the whole game comes together, I'm a bit worried, though, since all these Devil May Cry style games are just leaking out...

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
Wow, looks gorgeous.

Btw, isn't a little disturbing the first monster that appears is a sexy beast with a giant penis claw?
Just saying.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
I am getting so damn sick of the slim justification for this bastardization of literature being: "a game about a guy walking through hell would be dead boring."

I look forward to when EA releases Crime and Punishment, The Game. "A game about the conscience of a murderer would have been boring, so we jazzed it up by turning Raskolnikov into an ex-soldier who is framed for murder and has to fight off the police and discover who framed him. Oh, and Napoleon is mentioned in the book but he has quite a minor role, so we made him one of the bosses because that would be more fun for the player."

Xyphon

Jun 17, 2009
The game looks pretty good. From what I've seen so far, I'll definitely give it a try.

Artemus_Cain said:
Damn, they didn't even try to cover up the fact that they ripped off God of War.
GoW didn't hide the fact that they ripped off Devil May Cry, Super Mario Bros., Turok, Golden Axe and every damn game that came before it.

Really, just because a game has similar elements of gameplay doesn't make it a rip off.

BloodyThoughts

EPIC PIRATE DANCE PARTY!
Jan 4, 2010
This game...is more sick and demented than I thought. But it reaches my eager need of always wanting to kill babies! DOWN WITH CHILDREN!

oh and, hehehehe, boobies.

(just to make this immature!)

maddog015

Sep 12, 2008
Meh. Looks like any other button smasher game in the past few years.

Visuals seem nice, but I can't imagine anyone wanting to play this game for the story. Read the actual poem if you want the story.

Wilbot666

Aug 21, 2009
"I'm killing baies....I'm killing babies..."

I know I'm a sick man but this should not have made me laugh as hard as it did.

I'm in two minds about this game, I already bought Darksiders and Bayonetta recently, so Dante would have to be pretty damn special to make me want to play another fighter. May have to rent it first.

paralost

Aug 7, 2009
wow its like they went "hmm... modern warfare 2 had you play as a terrorist you know how we can top that BABY MURDER". you can't tell me that they aren't just trying to get PR sales with this kind of game. they are just waiting for some dumb religious lackey to shout "blasphemy" so everyone and their grandma will have to check it out. all in all it seems boring to me. i might pick it up cause it does look nice visually but story-wise it seems utterly boring and lame. and also I'm confused is it based off the book and the circles of hell cause if that's the case i can't wait to see how they justify ancient homophobia in that rapists and murders have a lesser sentence in hell than homosexuals. or is it like a total re imagining but with the same title, you know like pretty much every Mario game.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
they didn't eve tried to cover all the cliches

when will we get to see shakespeare kicking ass?

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I'm not in the slightest interested in this game, although I am impressed by some of the visuals they ahve used to represent different areas from the original poem. Plus, kudos to them for making nudity and sexuality look outright disgusting - ideal for a depiction of hell.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Shamanic Rhythm said:
I am getting so damn sick of the slim justification for this bastardization of literature being: "a game about a guy walking through hell would be dead boring."

I look forward to when EA releases Crime and Punishment, The Game. "A game about the conscience of a murderer would have been boring, so we jazzed it up by turning Raskolnikov into an ex-soldier who is framed for murder and has to fight off the police and discover who framed him. Oh, and Napoleon is mentioned in the book but he has quite a minor role, so we made him one of the bosses because that would be more fun for the player."
Genius.
You are right though, it would be interesting to see a game which pushes the boundries of interactive fiction and doesn't resort to the safe conventions. Have you ever played "The Path"? It is an indy game which retells the story of little red riding hood. As a typical game, it is extremely boring, but as a piece of interactive fiction, it is fairly interesting and unique. The problem is that people view games as "something purely for fun" so every great story is secondary to the game paly element. I'd like to see more game makers give players the benefit of the doubt, put story first, and try not to make something overtly "fun".

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
It's hardly a god of war rip off, i think they were too busy taking the code/art from devil may cry to think about GOW.
it wasn't until i saw the trailer that i realised it WASN't Devil may cry 10 or whatever number they are at now, and i'm still not 100% sure.

though i'm sure anyone who has tried to teach their sister or girlfriend to play games found that a little funny.
"no you press l2 for fire, l1 is ice, look let me do it"