The Escapist Presents: Walkthrough of Dante's Inferno

docbox1567

Nov 10, 2009
It's funny how they're like, "We admire Dante's poem so much, but that shit is too boring, so let's fight Cleopatra's boobies in hell. Cleopatra's hot, in shit, and I think that Dante had always wanted to put her topless in his poem. Nothing says literary integrity more than gratuitous nudity. Our next game, "Romeo and Juliet" where the Capulets will be made up of naked burlesque dancers and Romeo must fight the dreaded Tibolt who shoots out retarded game developers out of his penis.?

Artemus_Cain

May 20, 2009
Xyphon said:
The game looks pretty good. From what I've seen so far, I'll definitely give it a try.

Artemus_Cain said:
Damn, they didn't even try to cover up the fact that they ripped off God of War.
GoW didn't hide the fact that they ripped off Devil May Cry, Super Mario Bros., Turok, Golden Axe and every damn game that came before it.

Really, just because a game has similar elements of gameplay doesn't make it a rip off.
But if I may amend a certin reviewer's quote, It isn't similar to God of War, it IS God of War. It looks like they just made new sprites, or whatever, and copy-pasted the gameplay, aesthetics, and pretty much everything else from Kratos' killing spree. Yeah it's okay to draw inspiration from multiple sources, but this is just fucking lazy.

Don't get me wrong, I'll give it a spin but it's definatly not GOTY material and it'll probably be forgotten in under a decade.

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
"Like God Of War but..."

the main character is named Dante.

Oh wait, why am I suddenly thinking of Devil May Cry?

So does making a ripoff off of a ripoff simply a new flash-copy of the original game?

This video honestly just lowers my expetations of the game. I'm just extremely sceptical that they can make this into something more than just a ripoff.

HampOoze

Nov 18, 2009
Not to brag or anything, but here in sweden its released tomorrow, im so cutting school for this thing. This book is amazing and even though I know they will be raping the story and its a GoW ripoff I just dont care because I get to fight half-women-half-Muk-monster who eat your head if u dont watch out.. and ofc , creepy babies with swords for hands.

iKiller

Jun 13, 2008
Okay people reeeeaaaaally need to stop calling this a God of War ripoff.
I swear, you can't make any kind of brawler-type game EVER without someone either calling it a God of War ripoff or Devil May Cry ripoff. Why is it so hard to just look at a game for what it is and judge that, before we compare it to everything else? To me, this game looks awesome, and I really don't care if it has similarities to other games, that doesn't mean AT ALL that the developers were ripping them off.

Also,

It's funny how they're like, "We admire Dante's poem so much, but that shit is too boring, so let's fight Cleopatra's boobies in hell. Cleopatra's hot, in shit, and I think that Dante had always wanted to put her topless in his poem. Nothing says literary integrity more than gratuitous nudity. Our next game, "Romeo and Juliet" where the Capulets will be made up of naked burlesque dancers and Romeo must fight the dreaded Tibolt who shoots out retarded game developers out of his penis."
Can you imagine what it would be like if they had stuck hardfast to the poem's story? Dante would all in all be a regular guy walking his way through hell, occasionally collapsing on the way and not having any way to fight back...

Yeah, that makes for a fun game, am I right?

Also, Cleopatra is naked because it's the LUST level. Get it? LUST. And if you find something about her figure the least bit appealing, I have to say right now there is something wrong with you.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Artemus_Cain said:
Xyphon said:
The game looks pretty good. From what I've seen so far, I'll definitely give it a try.

Artemus_Cain said:
Damn, they didn't even try to cover up the fact that they ripped off God of War.
GoW didn't hide the fact that they ripped off Devil May Cry, Super Mario Bros., Turok, Golden Axe and every damn game that came before it.

Really, just because a game has similar elements of gameplay doesn't make it a rip off.
But if I may amend a certin reviewer's quote, It isn't similar to God of War, it IS God of War. It looks like they just made new sprites, or whatever, and copy-pasted the gameplay, aesthetics, and pretty much everything else from Kratos' killing spree. Yeah it's okay to draw inspiration from multiple sources, but this is just fucking lazy.

Don't get me wrong, I'll give it a spin but it's definatly not GOTY material and it'll probably be forgotten in under a decade.
You know, I'm really sick of this arguement by now. How many third person shooters look exactly like resident evil 4/gears of war these days? However when it comes to hack and slash, it seems like people only want to say it is god of war or devil may cry.

That being said, I played the demo and I can tell you that it is the christianity based GoW. However, I'm not solely talking about the combat (the fact that people only point to this is what's getting to me).

Allow me to go into detail here.
The first level of the game takes place in a city underseige with Dante as a normal human, although very cruel (GoW: Cities always undersiege. Kratos once cruel human). In the midst of the battle, Dante is killed and meets Death (GoW: Battle goes poorly, Kratos meets Ares, a supernatural being). Death informs him that he was lied to by the cardinal who sent him on the crusade that he would be pardoned for all his sins (GoW: similar lie told by gods). Dante refuses to accept his fate and proceeds to KILL DEATH WITH HIS OWN SCYTHE (first of all, that's amazing for someone with a dagger in their back. Kratos wasn't able to kill a god when mortally wounded. Ok onto GoW: Death has never stopped Kratos). Dante then makes a red cross out of tapestry displaying his sins and SEWS IT ONTO HIS SKIN (GoW: Kratos' tattoos for one. Old method of doing so was very painful. His wife and child's ashes cover his skin to be a reminder of his sins). Dante then heads back home to find that his love has given up everything for him and he broke his end of the deal (this is actually a point where I had to congradulate the game developers for a subtle question they asked that really makes you think: Is sacrificing everything for love really considered good, or just selfish? Likewise they also brought up the question of Is violence every right? with Dante's punishment). Dante swears to save beatrice and ventures into hell through the dark woods.

If you're going to reference as copying, reference the plot rather than the wide-range attacks and brutality of the combos that fit in a game based around someone going into the very place where thousands of demons live.

Grand_Arcana

Aug 5, 2009
Oh look, another beat-em-up with gratuitous amounts of sex and gore. And take a look at the beautiful shades of brown and grit! A shirtless muscleman with an improbable weapon? Where do they come up with this stuff?
/sarcasm

The only thing that remotely interested me were the magic spells.

Apr 17, 2009
I am getting so damn sick of the slim justification for this bastardization of literature being: "a game about a guy walking through hell would be dead boring."
It strikes me as a circular logic. It would be boring if you used the original poem in it's actual form to make your game? Well don't use the original poem then. Why don't you, and I know I'm really thinking outside the box here, come up with your own ideas instead of leeching off something else?
The game doesn't look bad, but why do they have to make it Dante's Inferno? Why not General McHackySlash's Wild Adventures Through Hell?

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
iKiller said:
Okay people reeeeaaaaally need to stop calling this a God of War ripoff.
I swear, you can't make any kind of brawler-type game EVER without someone either calling it a God of War ripoff or Devil May Cry ripoff. Why is it so hard to just look at a game for what it is and judge that, before we compare it to everything else? To me, this game looks awesome, and I really don't care if it has similarities to other games, that doesn't mean AT ALL that the developers were ripping them off.

Also,

It's funny how they're like, "We admire Dante's poem so much, but that shit is too boring, so let's fight Cleopatra's boobies in hell. Cleopatra's hot, in shit, and I think that Dante had always wanted to put her topless in his poem. Nothing says literary integrity more than gratuitous nudity. Our next game, "Romeo and Juliet" where the Capulets will be made up of naked burlesque dancers and Romeo must fight the dreaded Tibolt who shoots out retarded game developers out of his penis."
Can you imagine what it would be like if they had stuck hardfast to the poem's story? Dante would all in all be a regular guy walking his way through hell, occasionally collapsing on the way and not having any way to fight back...

Yeah, that makes for a fun game, am I right?

Also, Cleopatra is naked because it's the LUST level. Get it? LUST. And if you find something about her figure the least bit appealing, I have to say right now there is something wrong with you.
I'm sorry, I must have missed the news story where EA were forced at gunpoint to develop this game, or even simply to name it "Dante's Inferno".

Screw_it

Jan 21, 2010
EA is marketing the hell out of this game.

I just saw that they're coming out with a straight-to-DVD cartoon of Dante's Inferno... Just like they did with Dead Space.

They realize it's a blatant ripoff of God of War, but figure they can garner cred via gratuitous nudity and what not... Problem is, when you've played enough video games, something like this doesn't shock me anymore. It's almost kind of... sad... :( My god... I've dulled my senses.

Hulyen

Apr 20, 2009
Pallindromemordnillap said:
The game doesn't look bad, but why do they have to make it Dante's Inferno? Why not General McHackySlash's Wild Adventures Through Hell?
I think I'd be much more likely to play it if they named it that.

And kudos to Susan for not bopping the guy on the head when he was implying that she didn't know how to play games.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Okay, so my thoughts on this video, because I'm wonderful and amazing and sexy and humble and of course you were all just waiting for me to chime in....

On the whole "the original was boring"/"you can't have a poet hero" commentary.... Developers of "Dante's Inferno" the game, I'd like to introduce you to "Dante's Inferno" the game [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnsWceYWNpQ]. For the Commodore 64. You play a poet. Who's a one-hit kill. And has an inventory size of TWO. You can find a few "smart bomb" crosses, but they only work on the Malebranche. Everyone else you gotta avoid or outsmart. And Virgil's nowhere in sight. Your task? Get through Hell in seven days (about 15-20 minutes realtime, IIRC) or get stuck there. Oh, and since misery loves company, everyone wants you to join them, and will try their hardest to drag you down, or burn you alive, or turn you to stone.

And it was a fun game. Hard as, pardon the pun, hell, but quite fun. It thoroughly kicked my ass, but I loved it. The reason I read the Inferno (Longfellow translation - hoo boy) in my teens, and the entire Comedy (Ciardi translation, been meaning to try out Mandelbaum's) in adulthood, and also partly responsible for my Bach collection (where the game cribbed its music from). Never beat it, and I am awed by the people who can even get to Dis first try, never mind to the Devil and freedom.

You want boring? Try making a game out of Purgatorio or Paradiso (especially Paradiso!)

And, to change gears drastically, I enjoyed Susan's running comments. I do the same thing when gaming, and it's been known to drive people nuts, particularly when I zone out and start repeating myself. Turns out playing against someone and saying "Blood... blood... blood... blood... blood..." in a dull monotone is a good way to gain an unfair advantage!

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
Coming soon, from EA - when Hamlet's father is brutally murdered, he must seek revenge against his uncle Claudius, revealed to be warrior alien robot from the future! And there's tits!

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
MortisLegio said:
This Looks Awesome
It is even more awesome than it looks. Of all the hack and slash coming out now, this one is the most like God of War IMO (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). I'm playing it now (store apparently couldn't wait until the release date, you don't hear me complaining) and it's very awesome (and very strange).

Tolerant Fanboy

Aug 5, 2009
Part of me can't help but think "Wait, shouldn't the unbaptized babies only be in the first circle?"

Then I remember that this is to The Divine Comedy what Jolly Ranchers are to actual fruit.

Mind you, it still looks pretty cool. That said, if Cerberus is the Third Circle boss, the "God of War ripoff!" noise is going to be deafening...
(For those of you who haven't read Inferno, ol' Fluffy watches over the gluttons in the Third Circle, forced to lie in a knee-deep slurry of sleet and ash. Much better reason to include him than Cleopatra.)

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
People just won't stop bitching about this game, hm?
I've finished it last night, so here it goes: Yes, the game doesn't stay 100& true to the poem. Yes, the gameplay is 90% cloned from God of War.
I ask you now: With all the blatant copying that goes on in the games industry, do you honestly expect a game which was cloned from a monumentally entertaining series to turn out bad? The game is a fucking blast. It's short, granted, but that's what I've come to expect from EA.
I knew since the moment I tried the demo that the gameplay was fun, so what I really bought the game for was to see how they implemented the important bits and pieces from the poem into the game and, of course, how they chose to depict each of the nine circles. Visceral didn't disappoint, the environments and demons are awe-inspiring and horrendous at the same time, and it really feels like butchering your way through hell. Also, the voice-acting is top notch and adds a lot to the immersion.
All in all Dante's Inferno is a short but sweet ride and at least worth a rental.